Thanks guys - I'll keep an eye out. Unfortunately the garage is the only realistic option for me. It's an electric garage door (not sure how safe/unsafe these are seen as) but it's fully alarmed with the main house alarm.

I've heard back from Yorkshire field sports (Tadcaster) - they offer a 10 lesson introduction course that teaches you the basics of handling, cleaning, the law, etc, for £250 (so £25 per 1 hour lesson). They also give you a certificate of competence to send off with your licence application form. This sounds quite reasonable I guess for someone like myself?

Thanks guys - I'll keep an eye out. Unfortunately the garage is the only realistic option for me. It's an electric garage door (not sure how safe/unsafe these are seen as) but it's fully alarmed with the main house alarm.

I've heard back from Yorkshire field sports (Tadcaster) - they offer a 10 lesson introduction course that teaches you the basics of handling, cleaning, the law, etc, for £250 (so £25 per 1 hour lesson). They also give you a certificate of competence to send off with your licence application form. This sounds quite reasonable I guess for someone like myself?

Speak to the feo. Despite whatever anyone on here says it's going to be his shout. I would recomend downloading and reading the HO guidance though.

I dunno how any cert like that will be viewed. Certainly not necessary but won't harm your application. Just make sure that price covers clays and cartridges...it might not.

Edited by Lord v

First off, apply for your ticket. Shop around and find an acceptable single gun cabinet.

Buy a secondhand 5 gun cabinet minimum, apply now, buy cabinet, fit cabinet, wait for FEO visit (can fit after visit if required)

Unless that £250 includes 25 clays and carts and instruction each time forget it!

Better off with 2 £65 lessons and some reading here and other online sources .......

Edited by HDAV

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately I wouldn't have anywhere to fit it in the house (hence the upsizing :) ) but the garage is attached to the house and I've insulated it so it keeps fairly warm.

I've had a look for those cabinets but can't find them cheap. Should I be looking elsewhere to eBay?

Cheers

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/350015-brattonsound-5-gun-cabinet/

Job done

Edited by HDAV

Interesting - Asking what model it is (after further reading, I think I'll want an ammo safe in it too?)

If it's decent I may very well head down and pick it up! Does anyone know if something like this is easy to fit in a car? I know it's got no chance of getting in the back of the XE, but maybe in an A3?

Also - what do you think of these?

Thanks for the pointer.

Edited by ianc1990

Buy a secondhand 5 gun cabinet minimum, apply now, buy cabinet, fit cabinet, wait for FEO visit (can fit after visit if required)

Unless that £250 includes 25 clays and carts and instruction each time forget it!

Better off with 2 £65 lessons and some reading here and other online sources .......

This...

Also there is Derwent valley at Elvington and North Riding at Poppleton (but I think you may need your certificate first for this one)

I am not far from you if you want to tag along and have a go.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I've been told about derwent valley but couldn't find anything about it - not even location. North riding sounds good as it's just round the corner - are they there on weekends?

Yeah - I'd love to tag along at some point! I have a hectic January but I might drop you a PM at some point?

Cheers

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

I've shot clays a few times and I've decided it's a sport I would like to get into. I'm from York and I was wondering if anyone knew of any clubs in the area (rather than just experience day type venues)

I found one in Barwick-in-Elmet which seems excellent (£35 for 50 clays including instructor, gun hire and cartridges). You turn up for 3 of the instructor led sessions and then you can become a member if they think you're competent (I'm not a certificate holder)

This is the kind of thing I'm after, and it's a very good option, but I was wondering if there's something very similar a little closer to home that someone on here may know of? In due course, I'd like to become a certificate holder and a club closer to home would mean that it's easier to go down the range on a Sunday if I get board if I do eventually own my own firearm/become a certificate holder.

Cheers!

Ian

Hi Ian,

I have just got my certificate and joined Hazelbank Shooting ground in knaresborough and the guys there have been fantastic in helping me get in to the sport. Once you have your own certificate it is relatively well priced as well! Only a short drive up the A59 from York and a nice set of people to show you around....

• 4 weeks later...

My best mate got his shotgun licence a couple of years ago and I was playing airsoft in a team which I enjoyed but the people started to get a little annoying so my mate said come and have a blast at the weekend. We went to Greeenfields in Canterbury and I went on a couple of stands with my mates 725 black edition and the bug bit bad. Went home and put all my airsoft stuff up for sale and sent my application off.

Got a cabinet installed while I was waiting. Had visit all good there and just had to wait for my cert. As soon as it arrived I went and brought a 725 sporter 2. My dad's also got his cert now and brought himself a Beretta. Now I want a Mossberg. I think I'll need a bigger safe soon lol.

Edited by Benkent