Returning item issue

herby

Hi

Other half bought me some Harkila boots for Xmas and I already have a pair. On veiwing W. Horton & sons website it states a 30 day return, she called the shop and they advised they had the boots in the size wanted and would be easier all round if ordered from Ebay.

Ebay have a 14 day return policy and when she tried to send it back they declined, I just called them to explain the situation and they very polity told me to put them on Ebay and hung up as he had a customer in the shop.

I guess I will have to grow another pair of feet for them!!

Sounds a very disappointing outcome from what is a very reputable shop. As Tightchoke says, it sounds more of a communication problem than anything else.

I would phone again and speak to the boss, Steven Horton, and explain your problem. I'm sure they will come to some sort of arrangement.

Don't email, phone and speak to him in person.

Sounds a very disappointing outcome from what is a very reputable shop. As Tightchoke says, it sounds more of a communication problem than anything else.

I would phone again and speak to the boss, Steven Horton, and explain your problem. I'm sure they will come to some sort of arrangement.

Don't email, phone and speak to him in person.

I always advocate PUT IT IN WRITING.

I always advocate PUT IT IN WRITING.

On this occasion, when the OP is relying on the goodwill of the proprietor to reimburse an unwanted purchase, I would advocate a personal approach rather than an email which is just as likely to disappear into the ether or someone's spam folder, never to be seen again.

After all the OP is asking the shop to do him favour, he's not laying out a paper trail for an impending court case.

On this occasion, when the OP is relying on the goodwill of the proprietor to reimburse an unwanted purchase, I would advocate a personal approach rather than an email which is just as likely to disappear into the ether or someone's spam folder, never to be seen again.

After all the OP is asking the shop to do him favour, he's not laying out a paper trail for an impending court case.

He got nowhere by phoning. Next stage put it in writing.

The retailer here is the "expert" and ,as such, their advice must carry some kind of benefit. If your wife was advised by this shop to buy online but was not warned of the reduced returns limit then I think they should be liable for any shortcomings due to their own intervention. Speak to them and let them know that you are willing to go down the small claims route if they insist on their current stance.

Distance selling regulations apply to purchases from a trader when buying on line, usually a reputable company will take Christmas and New Year closedown into account, and extend the qualifying period for the items return by a few days to compensate?

Try again by phone and if unsuccessful follow it up immediately by letter stating the dates and time you rang them and who you spoke to, give them 14 days to respond in writing if no joy go, to trading standards for advice!

The above only applies if the item is unused and in its original packaging, and if you made your wish to return the goods known to the retailer in timely fashion, If you have proof that they offer a thirty days return policy and your request was within the time? then unless there is some small print excluding this item, then write to them as above if they don't reply or you get a knock back.....consult trading standards

Thank you for all the replys and advice.

My other half is very meticulous and I have checked the website myseld and it does state 30 day return but didn't know Ebay rules or even think about checking them as off the same trader.

When I spoke to the gentleman this morning I was very polite about it and was trying to explain the holiday period and if she bought from the shop like she was intending there wouldn't be a problem and was well within the 30 day the shop offered only to be hung up on!!!! polite or not it's still hanging up on someone. No email back either tonight!! I deal a lot with mail order and never had a problem like this before.

As said before, You must create a paper trail,

You need to find and copy the bit on Ebay that says they have a 14 return of goods policy,

Write down the date and time she bought the goods and explain what happened when she rang and was directed to the Ebay shop, also explaining that she wanted to buy from the shop over the phone not from Ebay, and put it in writing that it was THEIR idea to use Ebay

Note the date (and time if known) that you rang wanting to return them, and if you can remember the name of the guy you spoke to,

Thats your basics,

Explain in writing to their Customer service department that you wanted to return them because she didn't realise you already had a pair and as per Ebays 14 day return policy she wished to exercise this,

Then explain that you rang on how to do this and Mr X just told you to "put them on Ebay" then hung up,

Point out that if she had bought the boots from the shop as she wanted to originally then they have a 30 day returns policy, and it was them that directed her to Ebay as it was easier for them.

Then point out that you feel let down by the attitude of Mr X and it wasn't what you expected from such a reputable dealer.

Ask them again how you go about returning the boots and how they can help resolve this. puts the ball back in their court

Don't start a "slagging off" debate with them as it will put them on the defensive straight away.

Thats the bones of it and it needs drafting properly

If you need further advice then

Contact the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06 - a trained adviser can give you advice over the phone.

Have all the details, ie dates bought, people spoke to etc, explain in full the situation,

The lines are busy and it may take a while to get through

:shaun:

After reading both their direct purchase returns policy and the ebay returns policy I would say as you bought via their ebay store you are bound by the terms of contract that apply to their ebay store. The ebay store gives the terms of contact which is in accordance to the law so I doubt very much that you have any legal recourse. I do understand your frustration that their website gives a different contract and I also understand they directed you towards the ebay store as it was easier for them to process the transaction but that does not alter the contract you entered when you purchased said item. I doubt you could draw parallels within the contract (ppi for example) as to do so yo would need to find case law and I doubt you will. So it seems in your case they are under no legal obligation as the contracted 14 days have passed but if I were in there situation I might be prepared to accept the goods to be returned provided all postage costs were born by yourself and in addition a 20% re-stocking fee be deducted from the purchase price. The reason for my suggestion regarding the 20% re stocking fee is why should they be out of pocket for a mistake they did not make and they will have paid ebay and paypal in the region of 15% from the total already.