"Racsit" Morris Dancers?

old'un

Could not believe my ears or eyes when I saw this guy filming himself and shouting "racist"....no mate its part of what being English is, this dance as been going for a few hundred years, it's not "racist"

I think this type of action (protest) drives a bigger wedge between different races, it makes me feel we are no longer able to do and say what we have done for hundreds of years, who do they think they are telling us what we can and cannot do.....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-38559669

Misuse of the word racist or racism had discredited real racism, because the unscrupulous and those with an agenda will use the term as a threat in order to gain financial or other advantage, win an arguement or get their own way!

Same as false claims made to obtain benefits......spoil it for genuine benefit claimants!

Gets even more ridiculous, Shrewsbury Folk Festival bosses said dancers wearing full black face paint will be banned from next year.....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-37172500

Some years back the wife and I went to Kenya, we went to a traditional African dance and guess what they had their faces painted white, It never entered my head to jump up and shout "racist"

I sat in front of theTV when this was broadcast last night and could not believe my eyes and ears. It would appear that whatever laws the so called modernists bring in they use it to complain about our traditions and practices. I have had to comply to the laws of the land that I have found myself in over the years, sometimes begrudgingly but you have to out of respect of the locals. I would suggest that if they do not like the traditions that they have been born into they save up and go to other countries that do not respect race, colour and traditions. This is just my personal opinion on the subject and is written without malice.

Morris dancing as I understand it is a corruption of Moorish dancing brought back by troops from the peninsular war. That's why they dressed in white, copying the robes worn by the Moors and some of them black up

So yes I suppose its racist to a person with a twisted mind, that's if such a word actually exists. I thought 'racist' is just what lefties shout at anybody they don't agree with

Edited by Vince Green

I do believe that accusation of racism have been used to shut down debate - this was particularly prevalent during the New Labour government. You only need look at how any discussion on concerns over immigration was met with a knee jerk (the infamous "bigoted woman" gaffe for example) to see this in action, and compare that with the line now being taken by the same people, at least now it is not seen as political suicide to do so.

It's also unfortunate that in degrading the meaning of the word through overuse, actual racists now have their own knee-jerk of "that word doesnt mean anything anymore".

I think the biggest problem this country has had for some time is issues such as this have not been able to be talked about, rather than deal with it head on anything that caused offence to any minority was banned either officially or otherwise, and includes (in my opinion) things like positive discrimination, in my book there's no such thing, discrimination is just discrimination, no matter how its worded, this builds resentment and anger amongst a large section of the UK population and unfortunately some of the frankly less intelligent become genuinely racist, I find this the most frightening prospect of all as where freedom of expression is curtailed, the far right will rise and we all know what happened in nazi germany, thankfully I feel the pendulum has swung back somewhat, the last few years there does seem to be a more common sense approach to certain issues. That said, unfortunately true racism has always existed and continues to exist today and it goes without saying, it should be dealt with in the most robust manner wherever it is found (which unless there is something I'm unaware of is not this instance).

I do believe that accusation of racism have been used to shut down debate - this was particularly prevalent during the New Labour government. You only need look at how any discussion on concerns over immigration was met with a knee jerk (the infamous "bigoted woman" gaffe for example) to see this in action, and compare that with the line now being taken by the same people, at least now it is not seen as political suicide to do so.

It's also unfortunate that in degrading the meaning of the word through overuse, actual racists now have their own knee-jerk of "that word doesnt mean anything anymore".

+1 I was writing my response as you posted this and it sums up my thoughts well.

There is often not a problem with the law but there is often a problem with stupid people's interpretation of it.

The guy complaining is an idiot.

If a boss in the council bans it because someone complained then that person is also an idiot.

There's a surprising amount of idiots out there.

Morris dancing as I understand it is a corruption of Moorish dancing brought back by troops from the peninsular war. That's why they dressed in white, copying the robes worn by the Moors and some of them black up

So yes I suppose its racist to a person with a twisted mind, that's if such a word actually exists. I thought 'racist' is just what lefties shout at anybody they don't agree with

Don't think its to-do with the Peninsular War 1804-1814, The name "Morris dancers" was first recorded in 1450.

What astonishes me is belief that to call me a racist some how cancels any other characteristic/view or opinion that I may hold and I somehow become "untermensch"in their strangely warped world view. If only I had the inclination to explain to these limp wristed bed wetters that this is far, far from the worst I could be accused of and my moral spectrum encompasses attitudes that wouldn't allow them to ever switch the lights out again.

What happened to the new rules...

Am I right in thinking you're trying to accuse us of double standards here?

Do you not want people to have a chance to discuss things in a grown up manner first? We do, which is why we try to let things run if possible.

So, do you want it closed now?

If so I'll make sure to leave it up so the people who get upset when we do close stuff can see that there are some on the forum who try to get stuff shut down just for the fun of it, and that you are one of them.

Let me know and I'll hit the lock button, just for you B25Modelman.

Am I right in thinking you're trying to accuse us of double standards here?

Do you not want people to have a chance to discuss things in a grown up manner first? We do, which is why we try to let things run if possible.

So, do you want it closed now?

If so I'll make sure to leave it up so the people who get upset when we do close stuff can see that there are some on the forum who try to get stuff shut down just for the fun of it, and that you are one of them.

Let me know and I'll hit the lock button, just for you B25Modelman.

Hit a nerve did I.