Good news for Chris and Myself.

Lord Geordie

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations!!

Shop around for solicitors or licenced conveyancers. You will get it for a lot less than £1k.

Good luck and well done so far.

True, you should be able to get one for about £600-£800. BUT and this is a big but! there are conmen out there who set up as fraudulent solicitors, so make sure you do your research and dont use any newly opened soliciotors/practices, especially internet based. (these people use retired solicitors details, and even get registered with the correct authorities etc!) I can recommend one near Manchester if you pm me.

Congratulations

From what I know of you both you deserve it.

Even if the costs of owning sometimes outweigh those paid for renting there is nothing like knowing it's YOURS

Beware interest rate rises though- fix for as long as you can even if it's a little bit more expensive.

Congratulations

From what I know of you both you deserve it.

Even if the costs of owning sometimes outweigh those paid for renting there is nothing like knowing it's YOURS

Beware interest rate rises though- fix for as long as you can even if it's a little bit more expensive.

Taken an interest rise of upto 12% and it's still affordable. So fingers crossed should be ok. See how it goes over the next week getting our finances sorted. And then hopefully move on a step :D

Thanks Guys! What a fantastic forum this truely is, the best wishes are warmly appreciated! Chris and I have checked our finances, it looks like we have the solicitor fees pretty much covered! I get paid again in three weeks so should have more than enough!

The independent valuer came today "never gave anything away" but said IF there were a discrepancy between his valuation and the other, I need to take it up with the vendor, as it MAY impact the borrowing from the bank if HIS valuation were lower. So now just need to hear back from the bank :)

I am so flippin excited! I have never seen Chris this enthusiastic and happy in a LONG while.

LG,

A few things to consider.

I know you mentioned that the solicitor has done work for your family in the past, and that is good, but if you shop around you will certainly be able to find somebody to do it for a few hundred pound cheaper. If you can afford to pay more for the ease of working with somebody you know then fine but I know you do struggle a bit with money so it's worthwhile at least looking.

You don't mention it but is there any arrangement fee for the mortgage. If so this can normally be rolled into the mortgage itself.

You didn't mention stamp duty. You haven't forgotten it have you?

Cheers

This is really great to hear, you seem like a fighter and good on you for getting to this point and now looking at getting on the property ladder; You should be very proud of yourself!!

Best of luck with the mortgage and purchase.

Cos

Under £125k no stamp duty applies, from memory I think LG was looking at less than this?

Arrangement fees, of course have to be taken into consideration but surely it's better to pay them upfront otherwise its extortionate if added to the mortgage

Ok I wasn't aware of the value.

Regarding arrangement fees. Of course if you can afford it then pay it up front but if LG is strapped for cash then roll it into the mortgage and if he gets money later then overpay the mortgage .

The arrangent fees with the bank are already taken care of! I was warned about solicitors "to be careful" as some were not qualified, set up a small scam business, take your money and then vanish. Hence the chap who I knew dealt with a few people I know. I just didn't want to risk messing this up. It sound silly I know, but it took this long to be in a position to buy, and i didn't want to risk messing it up. I have a kind member looking into this for me at the moment. Just waiting for the independent valuation to get the the bank, then see where we go from there.

:lol: knew it was going too smoothly!

Just got a call from the bank! It transpires their valuer says it's over valued by £5000. If the vendor does not agree to reduce the price in line with said valuation, it may mean I can't have the mortgage pfft. Hopefully the vendor will come down a little. If so things can then move on to the next step :yes:

Have to see what happens this week now! Will keep you all appraised as it goes along.

Edited by Lord Geordie