Remember me?

JDog

Some PW members with short memories may not. Others may have relegated me to the dark recesses of their minds, rather like a painful memory which one does not want to reveal. Anyway I used to post on the forum a bit, mostly about pigeon shooting but as I haven't seen a pigeon for months I have had little to say on the matter.

Today was the sort of day that any pigeon shooter with time on his hands gets out and looks. The winds were 20 mph when I set off gusting to 40 mph. Clearly pigeons would not be out in the open fields getting blown all over the place but they would be feeding in sheltered spots. By chance I came across a few in the lee of a hedge and after watching for a while decided to set up. I travelled light. The first thing I had to do was to tether my hide to some shrubs in the hedge. This was not easy but it stayed in place. The second thing I had to do was to put the rotary in the shelter of the hedge in a position which was not optimum but it would have blown over anywhere else.

Two pigeons came along the hedge and were dealt with and went on the rotary. Pigeons in groups of twenty then came at the rotary from two fields away like driven grouse into the wind. This was exciting but in order to have two or three shots twenty birds were scared away which was not ideal. The flight lasted less than two hours during which time I managed half a dozen doubles and a fluky treble and I ended up picking 43 pigeons.

It was good to be out again.

DSC07511_zpsb0kskflx.jpg

DSC07505_zpssrvfnxmn.jpg

DSC07513_zpsz1babsqw.jpg

Great bit of sport JDog....in under 2 hours that must have been some fast and furious shooting!!

It certainly was a perfect day for pigeon shooting, been so few windy days here lately I managed to get away from work by 3 o clock and shoot half a dozen on a roost flighline. Your flight looks much better!

jd has been aloof of late

I've missed his posts some short some great

So this day he left the shelter of his house

to have a chance at the blue grouse

In a scant hedge in a draughty hide

the birds were challenging both near and wide

On a blustery wind in twos and threes

them birds birds were tossed on cloudy seas

and finishing with a treble will certainly please

atb and great read

7diaw

Welcome to Pigeon Watch, it's nice to see another pigeon shooter who dares to go out in the adverse to humans but brilliant for pigeons weather. You will learn from your pictures of your totals that there are several styles of display depending on your OCD affliction and you may generate some heated discussions from your text but it is a welcome addition to the sporting picture section.

JDog it's nice to see that you managed to get out amongst them, the result for two hours is very commendable. The problem with flocks descending in to your pattern is very frustrating , if the birds came in pairs we would be having some mega bags. I look forward to further posts of your outings in the future. I hope your neck continues to allow you to shoot.

Edited by pigeon controller