RFD Transfer, how does that work?

buze

Could someone give me a brief on how to transfer a shotgun using a RFD? I understood you just had to pop in to a RFD, 'transfer' it to them, and the receiver would do the same on his side... For a fee obviously...

First time I'm considering selling on a shotgun online, just trying to get an idea on the procedure...

Edited by buze

You've basically explained it yourself.

Because you can't post a firearm without being an RFD, you go to your local one and tell them where you need a gun posting. They will charge you for the transfer (£25-50 or more!) and organise with their courier to post it. They will verify that the receiving party are also an RFD and then the transfer takes place.

Regarding your licence, it's been a long time since my last RFD transfer, but IIRC my licence went with the gun and was sent back to me with the transfer. Things may have changed though, so I'm sure someone will correct me on that.

Edited by Billy.

Strictly speaking the buyer should send you their certificate for you enter the transfer on - you should see their authority to possess. You then send the cert back to them and send the gun RFD to RFD.

Everything you need is here - I presume it is OK in copyright terms to paste a link as it is freely available on SkyNet/Google

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/08/REMOTE-FIREARMS-TRANSACTIONS2.pdf

How will you be able to fill in the buyers SGC if he doesn't send it to you?

Well you do the transfer to the RFD, and /their/ RFD fills up their own cert? That's what I *hope* needed to be done really. But then again, that's why I'm asking, because I haven't done that before :-)

How will you be able to fill in the buyers SGC if he doesn't send it to you?

Because you have taken the gun to an RFD, he will enter it into HIS book, a photocopy of your certificate can be taken but not required. You have handed the gun over to him. He will then arrange for gun to go to third party RFD, who will enter into HIS book. New buyer then gets gun from third party RFD who will fill in his Shotgun Certificate. The cash for the gun can go direct from one party to another and the relevant RFD informed as to when to send gun. Hope this helps.

P.S.

BOTH parties need to inform their relevant Police Force Firearms Departments of the transaction. DO NOT PRESUME THE RFD WILL DO IT !

Edited by Westley

a couple of years ago i used to take a gun in to the shop, they would transfer it to them selfs, send it to buyers rfd buyer would go pick it up and have it put on there cert, job done, then one day i went in and they said it had all changed, now id have to get buyer to send me his cert, id fill the details in then send cert back to him,then take my gun to the shop,send to his rfd, he would produce his cert and take the gun, i didnt believe this to be true so i rang my firearms licensing officer and asked them, and they said it should of been done like this for years, but now they were doing there best to make sure it happened this way, i did post about it when it happened, i will see if i can find it :good::good:

a couple of years ago i used to take a gun in to the shop, they would transfer it to them selfs, send it to buyers rfd buyer would go pick it up and have it put on there cert, job done, then one day i went in and they said it had all changed, now id have to get buyer to send me his cert, id fill the details in then send cert back to him,then take my gun to the shop,send to his rfd, he would produce his cert and take the gun, i didnt believe this to be true so i rang my firearms licensing officer and asked them, and they said it should of been done like this for years, but now they were doing there best to make sure it happened this way, i did post about it when it happened, i will see if i can find it :good::good:

I have recently used the above method to BUY a gun from someone in Scotland.

Edited by Westley

You do not have to use a RFD to post to a receiving RFD..

i have sent sold guns to the receiving RFD via Parcelforce , i do not posess a RFD cert only SGC

If done this way, the receiving RFD nominated by the buyer sends you a copy (usually overwritten "copy" or "specimen") of their RFD before you post

The buyer of your gun posts their SGC to you , you fill it in and return it to them

Strictly speaking the buyer should send you their certificate for you enter the transfer on - you should see their authority to possess. You then send the cert back to them and send the gun RFD to RFD.

Everything you need is here - I presume it is OK in copyright terms to paste a link as it is freely available on SkyNet/Google

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2014/08/REMOTE-FIREARMS-TRANSACTIONS2.pdf

bump - although direct to end RFD IF you can get a carrier to take it.

Edited by LeadWasp

This^

I have lost a few sales recently because I have to follow the rules.

My local firearms licensing department sent me a warning about doing it any other way so I queried it with basc who confirm that the correct way is for the seller to complete the certificate of the buyer and transfers to be arranged through rfd.

As for non RFDs sending a gun then you should read the prohibited items list of the couriers.

Firearms can only be sent with the relevant conditions on the account.

Edd

Just reading through some of the old posts.

The issue is the term "buyer"

My FLO insists that I register the person "buying" the gun, not where it's transfered. Therefore the simple solution is that the RFD at the other end pays me for the gun and I transfer it to him, keeping everything above board.

The problem is then created of tax and turnover. He can do a transfer and pay tax on the fee, but if you give him the (eg) £1000 for a gun to pay me then in his books usually that £1000 is actually Inc VAT so he loses out.

Been discussed a lot including just yesterday between myself and a well know RFD from here and causes all sorts of problems every day.

Too complicated by far.

Edd

Seems to be! I actually though my question was borderline silly and I'd have 2 pages of 'of course that how it works, dummy' (and I'm fine with that ;-)) but it turns out it IS as confusing as I thought it was :-)

I think the pure RFD to RFD is 'safe' tho?

Seems to be! I actually though my question was borderline silly and I'd have 2 pages of 'of course that how it works, dummy' (and I'm fine with that ;-)) but it turns out it IS as confusing as I thought it was :-)

I think the pure RFD to RFD is 'safe' tho?

From your point and that of the buyer then yes, nice and simple. But it does rely on 2 RFDs doing things wrong.

I know lots that do and always have, I did for a long time, but it isn't down to interpretation of feo or individual RFD it is down to the rules from the HO.

Personally I would ask the buyer to post you their cert and send them this:

Edd

Sorry, can't add the link for some reason.

Google remote firearm transfer

Edited by eddoakley

Well posting the cert is lovely, but in the middle of the season, you end up risking *twice* it being 'lost' and even if the post works well, and you are there to 'receive' and sign for it, it'll still take more than a week to exchange the damn thing... And you can't go on a game day without your cert.

Well posting the cert is lovely, but in the middle of the season, you end up risking *twice* it being 'lost' and even if the post works well, and you are there to 'receive' and sign for it, it'll still take more than a week to exchange the damn thing... And you can't go on a game day without your cert.

Why can't you go on a game day with out your SGC???