Tar & Feathers?

guzzicat

A 57 year old H.G.V. driver has been charged with dangerous driving after his high sided H.G.V was blown over on the Forth bridge, travelling north he had ignored the "Road closed to high sided vehicles " & chanced it , the vehicle was blown across central reservation onto Southbound carriageway, fortunately nothing was coming the other way!, the bridge has been closed all day & will remain so 'till tomorrow.

Apparently the bridge was closed to high-sided vehicles, but the lorry driver took a chance and tried to cross.

So the question is, what physical measures are in place to prevent this happening? I suspect the answer is none. And yet our local tip has an adjustable barrier to prevent people sneaking in in their commercials. You can't even get through with a high-top Transit.

A lesson to be learned, perhaps?

Apparently the bridge was closed to high-sided vehicles, but the lorry driver took a chance and tried to cross.

So the question is, what physical measures are in place to prevent this happening? I suspect the answer is none. And yet our local tip has an adjustable barrier to prevent people sneaking in in their commercials. You can't even get through with a high-top Transit.

There was talk of camera enforcement for prohibited vehicles who ignored the matrix signs when restrictions were in force although I have no idea if this was actually put in place.

It isn't the first time there has been an incident on the bridge as a result of the same behaviour. Last time a trailer ended up on the central barrier of the bridge.

Signs don't apply to motorists. Any bobby who has done road closure duties will tell you that. "Can't I go down there?" is the question every driver asks when confronted by a wall of cones, a police car parked sideways so as to block the road and blue flashing lights all over the place. If the police car and bobby wasn't there they would move the cones, drive through and then claim that the road had not been blocked.

Given that some drivers don't seem capable of knowing the height of their vehicles, hitting bridges, a barrier isn't going to stop an idiot.

Absolutely.

I asked this on another forum as he caused chaos most folk in central Scotland had to travel to the other side of the country to cross the Kincardine bridge but it means you sit in traffic all day being late or even missing your shift completely so i asked would you sue the driver or the company and wanted to know if folk would still go ahead if they had to put some of there own moey up first ?.

Absolutely.

Which is fine but artics and buses are allowed across the bridge but at the first sign of wind they bring it down to cars only and a 40 mph limit which mental because theres already a 40mph limit in place as a few driver stare at the new bridge being built and somebody no paying attention runs into them