Choosing a gin for a non gin drinker

Wingman

Hi All

My Mrs and I are trying to cut out the wine and beer for a bit and stick to the odd gin and slimline at the weekend. She is a bit fussy with gin's and likes gin that doesn't taste too overpowering or like the cheap stuff. So wondered if anyone can recommend one that would be easier to drink that the bog standard stuff. We tried the bathtub gin which i liked alot but she said tasted to "ginny".. women eh!

A quick google throws up a minefield of gins, and not being expert wondered if anyone can offer some advice!

Gordon's is still great, as is Tanqueray. Bombay Sapphire is a bit gimmicky still. Hendrick's and Sipsmith's are both nice but massively overpriced.

Monkey 47 however, is a delight - German gin and it's lovely with pink peppercorns and dried grapefruit/orange. There is no manly way to drink it, but it's delicious!!

Also agree with the Fever Tree tonic water - We did a blind tasting with supermarket own brand, Schweppes and Fever Tree and it won by a mile across the board.

If it's still too "Ginny", halve it with vodka to tame down the botanicals.

I like Adnams Copper House. Their more expensive gins are less successful I think, but the copper house is bang on.

My wife bought a Chase advent calendar this christmas. Every day a different gin or vodka. Really enjoyed trying the different types. The seville orange gin and pink grapefruit gin were fantastic. the smoked vodka, not so much!

Edited by Tim Kelly

Hendricks with cucumber and fever tree tonic.

Job jobbed.

:no:

Gordon's bog standard will do for this mission. They want something that doesn't taste too ginny.

Hendricks was always cack, and it isn't even that much of a novelty these days. Cucumbers? Essex? You can make your own jokes.

Admiral Collingwood is for the big boys. That is one excellent gin.

:good:

LS

Edit: embarrassingly, I didn't see Wingman's reply.

If Wingwoman doesn't like Gordon's, I found Aldi Oliver Cromwell was a decent entry-level gin.

Not tried the Lidl one, sounds intriguing.

I suddenly have a perishing thirst...! :lol:

Edited by lord_seagrave

Colombian Gin

Get the black bottle, its aged in Rum barrells so is very drinkable without tonic.

If you are doing GnT, use proper tonic like fevertree (if a 'strong' gin), fentimans (if a weak gin) or Thomas Henry (good all rounder).

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up on this thread. So if you want something that is easily drinkable then Brockman's is a good choice, strong blackcurrant flavour and not at all ginny really, rather coarse if drunk neat, but mixed down it is nice, goes well with prosecco.

A huge personal favourite of mine is Martin Millers gin, serve with either Fever Tree or Schweppes and garnish with a strawberry and lots of ice. It is a very very smooth drinking gin and not overly ginny. I am going to swim against the tide and say that too many dismiss Schweppes tonic for the sake of being on trend.

Have a look at McQueen's gins as they do some more interesting flavours, the sweet citrus is lovely and tastes a bit like lemon drizzle icing to me.

A definite thing to try is Eden Mill "Love" gin mixed with Fever Tree elderflower tonic is very drinkable, a little bit too sweet for my tastes but a great introductory gin, garnish with strawberry. They also do a range of pre-mixed gin cocktails served in Aldi and the green one with basil and the brown one with coffee are fantastic, I can't remember the names.

For something different you could try an oaked or a hop gin mixed with ginger ale, Eden Mill and Strathearn both do good options.

If you stick with your Bathtub gin then add a little splash of rhubarb bitters into the drink and it lifts it to a different level.

For the absolute best gin on the market then I would, grudgingly, have to go for a French option, the G Vine Nouissent (grey lid) is sublime, garnish with grapes or pomegranate seeds. It is a very close run thing between that and Martin Miller Westbourne strength and maybe Monkey 47.

Agreed with the Martin Miller - Had a bundle of that before Christmas.

As for Schweppes - It's still good, but I think Fever Tree is just a little bit better

Anyone tried Turbo Gin? The "new" cocktail doing the rounds....

G and T with a shot of cold pressed coffee as a float - Had one the other day and was dreadful. Be pleased to hear some other views as it's getting quite trendy in London at the moment.