Adopted Mamalute Didn't fancy waiting for his dinner...

Mentalmac

Last week I was shooting with a friend on his land (he owns a few 100 acres of land bordering a disused vineyard which see's a load of activity of rabbits, game and pigeons etc...).
So, early morning we are walking the perimeter, just me with my 12g and him with his dog and my Lab on the lead.

Whilst walking we heard the noise of a deer, and thought it had spooked and gone through the scrub land between my mates and the next door land owner (An older lady).

Next thing you know, we hear terrific barking and horrific screaming of a deer as well as a human shrieking loudly. Panicking, I slip my 12g and put in the truck (only 50 odd metres behind us).

we run around the scrub land and over to her land and she's wailing "Help me, help me, my dogs got a deer".
We arrived and her Mamalute was literally eating a large muntjac buck literally alive (from it's behind upward).

The deer is shrieking and screaming and making all manner of noises and struggling on it's front legs but can't get away and the malamute is chewing it's back leg and butt off.

The old lady had tried to get them apart but been bit by her own dog.

My mate is quite hands on (he's a pest controller, we used to work together) and managed to get this dog off and the lady managed to get it's lead back on and tied to a post (with my mates help).

The Munty was in a terrible state, dragging itself along but then stopping and looking frightened and useless. I had to dispatch the Munty, as it was in a terrible way.

The old lady told us that this dog was a rescue that she's had for about 6 months, it had been badly beaten by it's Irish traveling former owners...

The point of my post is just to show the level of damage a dog can do within minutes. This whole attack only lasted maybe 5 minutes in reality.

I know it's likely in a lot of dogs nature to do this, but it really was a sight to behold - the owner was powerless and useless in fact. My mate dig remark to her that imagine if that was another dog and you can tell she was thinking about that a lot.

Here's some pics of the damage: (I didn't see any reason why we couldn't at least use some of the non affected meat for my dog, who's raw fed so I gralloched and skinned the deer and it's made plenty of meals for my Lab over the next few months).

E41F94F9-DB6E-4BAB-A210-4F995898F1DB-129

CB2557FE-CC7D-4632-9041-D74437C8FEF5-129

To be honest its not entirely the owners fault, the rehoming centres should take some responsibility too.

In fact i don't want to demonise certain breeds, but any large dog with a chequred/abusive history really should be well vetted before they even think about rehoming and they should not be afraid to PTS them. Plenty of smaller breeds can be aggressive little beggars too esp if abused previously but at least they lack the strength that the larger dogs have to either pull free or inflict damage

As has been said (in the dog attack thread) the vast vast majority of dog owners have no idea about there dogs or wot there capable of or prefer to stick there head in the sand and ignore it.

U'd be surprised how many even well trained dogs would have a go at a deer in there garden/territory just most wouldn't catch them.

All/any dog can have moments when all the training goes out the window for a few seconds and thats all it takes, i've seen some FT and FTCH dogs when the wheels come off some days, so it even happens to the very best.

Just most won't be as extreme or they spot the situatiion first before the dog does and stop it before it even starts, when the blood is up few dogs would listen

Edited by scotslad

Unfortunately so have many thousands of other people in this country, this should go a way to showing its not just chavs morons with status dogs either

Quite so. The woman is substantially wealthy and accomplished. Just a bit thick.

I was out walking the dog a while back and got chatting to a lovely lady who was from the Swiss Alps, she moved to England permanently and she brought a labrador. She said "it's the perfect dog of the environment I am in and what I want out of it" and when we chatted further she was saying how annoyed she gets seeing 'musher' breeds in the UK by owners who don't understand them, how they need to be kept cool, and what their temperament is really like - they just buy them because they look 'sweet' - she even went as far as to tell me that her local friends back home in the Alps laugh about people who do it lol.

My brother has Malamutes and his old dog Bex would catch a rabbit by running it down like a greyhound and then throw back his head and down it in one. The crunching would turn your stomach. They are serious hunting dogs in Alaska, they feed themselves. Its a brave man who would beat one..

Its only the dogs that do this, the one in the OP needs to be castrated. Not just snipped

Its interesting that it attacked the Munty in the way that it did, that's how bears do it, they eat their prey live by sitting on them and devouring the rump first

Edited by Vince Green

I half wonder if the travellers had been using it to bring down deer. Despite what others have said, they are not aggressive dogs in the sense that they could be used as a police dog or an attack dog but they can hunt for food like no other breed I knowur proabaly right with ur 1st part.once

Ur probably right with the 1st part. And once a dog has learned something like that ur never really going to train it out, to natural and fun to a dog

To be fair thats not really aggresion, more drive or hunting intinct, which is something different.

I bet most labs would also have a go at something like that if they were free runing in a big garden with no supervison, my springer has brought done some failry big fallow bucks that were injured before.

Usually more apparent with terriers i've seen some real 'hard' working terriers that are the softest thing ever above ground completely different story below it

• 4 weeks later...