Oil?

Dazv

Still wiping mine over with the good old 3 in One after errrr? ??? 65yrs and not had one go rusty yet. If it looks like a damp day I give the gun an additional wipe over before I go out.

I read somewhere many moons ago that guns wiped with oil should not be excessive and if you picked the gun up with white cotton gloves it wouldn't show.

I admit that a couple of days recently my white gloves would have shown a little excess but it was ######## wet.

Edited by Walker570

I use an old duster that's been used to clean packing grease and all the oils off guns for a decade. I only apply any oil if I know it's going to get wet otherwise it gets a rub with the oily duster. Any oil will do car engine oil won't gum up or dry to a varnish like some so called gun oils can, a general purpose oil will do all you need.

I clean with cleanzoil and leave a thin film from the mop on the insides of the bores to protect them.

Edited by figgy

Amazing nice and cheap! Would you guys apply this to the inside of the barrels? Also what would you use on the ejector springs etc? Thanks guys

If using a spray the amount of oil can be excessive. Wipe over with a duster which will give you the oil impregnated cloth mentioned by others, then store muzzle down in cabinet.

Blackpowder

Wd 40 isn't an oil it's a water dispersant, hence wd for the initials and 40 because it was the 40th attempt at making it, I've seen many a rusty chain because the owner has always used wd40 and never oiled it. I read a long while back that the overpriced "gun oil" in gun shops is in fact fine grade fully synthetic motor oil in a fancy package and have been using it now for many years on all my guns

Wd 40 isn't an oil it's a water dispersant, hence wd for the initials and 40 because it was the 40th attempt at making it, I've seen many a rusty chain because the owner has always used wd40 and never oiled it. I read a long while back that the overpriced "gun oil" in gun shops is in fact fine grade fully synthetic motor oil in a fancy package and have been using it now for many years on all my guns

I've used fully Synthetic Engine oil on all my guns for years now, my semi Autos runs the best it ever has on it.

Quite right: WD40 is a fairly good water disperser, though I prefer to dry the gun in a warm airy place (barrels on a radiator). It is a poor oil, and leaves a gummy residue when the solvent part evaporates. The purpose of oil is to leave a (very) thin film that prevents direct metal to metal contact. WD40 doesn't do this well. The same thin film keeps out oxygen (which causes oxidation, which is what most corrosion is) and protects from moisture. Motor oils have been developed to do just these tasks. The do also include a range of 'additives' that aren't needed for guns, but I don't believe any do any harm.

All mineral based oils have a bad effect (over many years) on wood if allowed to soak in, and so should be very sparingly applied. If they can 'run down', there is too much there.

Use a good engine oil a drop or two on the ejectors and fore end catch and any common motor grease on the trunions or knuckles and barrel hooks. Wipe any excess off with your rag apply a bit of oil to the rag and wipe all the metal work over and store gun muzzles down. Keep the rag oily never wash it, eventually you should be able to squeeze the rag and it leave a thin film of oil on your hands.

Edited by figgy

The best traditional rust preventer for the bore is Rangoon oil and years ago when I worked at Holland and Holland that's all I was allowed to put in the bore of any gun.

I still use it - you can get it readily sold by Parker Hale, but I'd be just as happy with a good motor oil in the barrels - and would prefer the motor oil for any moving parts