Rag,Tag, Bobtail, WAGs and friends.

JDog

The eagerly anticipated day game shooting with PW members and others was today.

The prelude was last evening when SABS, OJW, SNS, Lloydi, Penelope plus wives and girlfriends and three friends of mine assembled for dinner in a country pub. Some of the assembled had an early start in the drinking stakes and were already quite 'well gone' by the time we met. A great deal of alcohol was imbibed during the course of dinner, including a toast of fizz to celebrate the engagement earlier that day of Penelope and Kerry.

This morning several guns were on the verge of being late blaming poor directions from yours truly. I do believe that any instructions given the previous evening would have fallen on deaf, or rather booze addled ears. I gave my own (and correct) version of the shoot briefing, ignoring the alternative rules prompted by others the previous evening. Fenboy joined us for the day.

We were shooting on an Estate which has a lot of game left and I reiterated that only the best birds were to be taken and by and large this was adhered to. We had three drives in the morning with breaks after each drive to refuel on alcohol and to feast on some of the goodies brought by generous team members. We had delicious food, as did a spaniel belonging to a picker up which sneaked under the table set up outside and helped itself to some ham and pork pie.

Most guns shot well during the day but one or two were off form for one reason or other. The shooting was evenly spread and I hope that everyone who attended enjoyed their day. The bag was 128 head of game.

I am girding my loins for this evening's bun fight at another local pub as I write this piece.

Any PW members attending please feel free to add comments and post photos.

DSC07517_zpsmhkj7f6v.jpg

DSC07525_zpspefbqrwg.jpg

Edited by JDog

A absolutely cracking day Jdog, thank you very much for organising and hosting the day. Amy and I both thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and you left this evening far too early, OJW offered his experiences with whisky and we had a little challenge :oops:

A great team of guns and fabulous shoot.

Thank you very much once again for organising.

This was a great day, and a big thank you to JDog for (almost) everything. Expertly organised by our host (save for his rubbish directions to the actual meeting place).

On reflection, am not so sure one of our team ought to have hydrated quite so well the evening before the shoot, but he sure looked like he was enjoying himself at the time. Having been shooting elsewhere on the Monday, I was grateful that my own consequent late arrival reduced the opportunity to drink quite as much. The atmosphere the night before was lively, helped I'm sure by the announcement of an engagement en-route (the things we do to get permission to shoot !) and aside from JDog trying to insist on some rules that were bound to spoil the fun ensure the day ran smoothly everyone was in good spirits (or cider). We even managed to toast Penelope's happy news.

The estate is some 8,000 acres of lovely countryside and great drives. I can say this with some authority as I drove OJW, Lloydi and one of JDogs friends around a considerable portion of it whilst trying to find the meeting place. We arrived to admonishment and coffee whilst JDog once again went through the rules of the day, designed he said to stop the day being over by1030am as he was convinced we were all greedy shots who were going to shoot anything that flew.

The first drive was a cracker. Some of the best partridge I have seen this season. Some of them were even shot (just not the ones over certain pegs). There was some outstanding shooting from some of the guns and some fairly average stuff from the rest of us. The first bird of the day to get up was shot, notwithstanding the obvious pressure on the gun concerned and we finished the drive in good spirits (mainly) and tucked into the first sloegasms of the day. Albeit one of our number was more than a little reluctant to take part for some reason.

The second drive was quite different. A number of shootable pigeon presented themselves early on, and it couldn't be a PW day out without someone having a crack at them, but JDog was insistent whilst live on your peg you could not shoot until everyone else was on theirs. Which would have been fine but for JDogs again hopeless directions leading to one of the team being in the wrong place and having to traverse a ditch to get to his peg. Which didn't work well as he became stuck, and meant we couldn't let rip at the pigeon. He eventually made his peg, some absolute beauties were presented over the guns and a couple of us amused ourselves by dropping dead pheasants at the feet of the back gun whom had finally made it to his peg. We then stopped for elevenses, which could have fed most of Lincolnshire had we shared it further. It was a fine effort by all concerned, both quality and quantity. There may have been a drop more alcohol at that point too.

The third drive presented some spectacular birds for those of us pegged with the wood in front. I had two fir trees blocking my view so it was snap shooting way beyond anything I've done before and I was delighted to connect with two rocketing pheasants, having seen dozens more hurtle by without me getting off a shot. There was a huge amount of whooping to my right which I had thought was in celebration of a towering bird brilliantly shot by OJW but JDog later corrected me and explained it had in fact been shot by the back gun over OJW's head. SABS' had handed over his gun to his better half and she showed him why on that drive with a cracking hen bird which I think OJW also tried to take credit for.

We stopped for soup and sausages because it must have been at least 20 minutes since we had eaten last. SABS decided we all needed hedgerow royales which he generously provided and we had an interim count of the bag. Our host was very stressed that we had been shooting too many and said we could only shoot 2 birds each on the final drive. Which, to be fair, I think one gun did actually take heed of. Personally I shot 5, principally because there were so many good birds I just couldn't help myself (a line used by many of the team throughout the day in fact !).

We returned for tea and cake and some wildly inaccurate guessing of the shot count and bag (led mainly by me thinking we must have fired 200 shots more than we did - I'd clearly stood to close to Warwick during the day). After which I had to head home, leaving most of the rest of the team anxious to drink the last remaining bits of alcohol in Market Rasen. Which probably explains their lack of postings since.

In summary - great day. Great shoot. Great team. Rubbish directions. Average host. And we to a man (and woman) failed to shoot a single pigeon.

I know the way know, so count me in for next time, but preferably with a host with less strict rules.......

Edited by SNS

A great report of the day Simon :good:

I'm sorry that we didn't say goodbye at the end, for some reason (probably the sloegasm and hedgerow royales) I thought that you were joining us for the evening meal, even though I remember you saying that you were leaving after the shoot during the previous evenings Olympic drinking session.

Great to see you again, along with the other PW Rover's from last season and also the other guns who joined our band of merry men.

Looking forward to next time already.

What a brilliant day. There is not much I can add to the above reports.

As has been pointed out we arrived slightly late due to no fault of our own. The residents of Market Rasen must have thought a famous rapper or perhaps a SWOT team was in town as we drove around the estate in circles in SNS's 110 Defender. However, had they been able to see past the chrome exterior, tinted windows and custom black rims, they would have seen four gentlemen nestled between pork pies, jars of mustard and cartridges with one or two going green as their hangovers gradually worsened.

The first drive produced brilliant high partridge racing over undulating ground. Fenboy shot a fantastic high bird and Penelope was good enough to finish off a pheasant for me which I had winged . I was also pleased with a partridge I shot over Mark and Amy and enjoyed being able to see the line. We got back to the gun bus and began trying to cure our hangovers. I was serving and totally missing the glass, came within an inch of sloshing Champaign all over Mrs Penelope. This led to my prompt demotion from pouring duties. I was then tasked with looking after the ham but was outwitted by an extremely cunning spaniel on the second drive.

The second drive was good but unfortunately Lloydie took a wrong turn and then decided to have a swim in a ditch to cool off whilst blaming Jdog's poor directions to the peg.

The third drive has now become a scandal but one I am happy to be embroiled in as it was a pleasure watching Mrs SABS shoot some lovely birds.

It was excellent to shoot with everyone and make some new friends. Jdog did a fantastic job managing us reprobates on a limited bag size. I hope that we continue to shoot game together for many years to come. CONGRATULATIONS to the future Mr and Mrs Penelope!!!

Edited by OJW

well done Lady guns and Gentlemen.

sounds like a grand day out.

thanks to all that have reported the facts and those with their own versions-always good to get an alternative opinion on matters.

sadly another season is drawing to a close for all of us.

regards,

f.

A great report of the day Simon :good:

I'm sorry that we didn't say goodbye at the end, for some reason (probably the sloegasm and hedgerow royales) I thought that you were joining us for the evening meal, even though I remember you saying that you were leaving after the shoot during the previous evenings Olympic drinking session.

Great to see you again, along with the other PW Rover's from last season and also the other guns who joined our band of merry men.

Looking forward to next time already.

Entirely my fault Mark. I had such a good chat with Mrs SABS I thought I'd said goodbye to you. Until I set off and realised I hadn't. I wanted to stop but the boys were insistent on me getting them to the bar !

SNS

A surprisingly detailed but entirely accurate report.

It was such a great day (thank you) that I felt I ought to do it justice. And it wasn't a very exciting conference call I was in at the time anyhow

Some brilliant accounts of a well organised event I've always found JDogs directions and instructions to precise in every detail.

It's good that you kept the PW traditions going strong it's just that each year you will have to move the venue??? It sounds a fantastic day and well done to all involved.

This is my report of the fantastic days both Amy and I spent in the Lincolnshire Wolds.

Once again thank you to all involved for the day, especially Jdog for your time and efforts in organising it.

Hope you all like reading ;)

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/349751-sabss-adventures-1617/?p=3203066

• 2 months later...

Finally!!!

Belated photos from the Wold's shoot in January organised by JDog.

elb4mf.jpg

The General!

28spuu1.jpg

Lloydi, post ditch.

qoitjc.jpg

Behind you!

2mhdi0m.jpg

Waiting.

yh3ya.jpg

Fenboy and family.

2ugicrl.jpg

Refreshments.