Ambidextrous stalking rifle.

Wb123

My better half has expressed an interest in deer stalking, something that has always tempted me too. To try and decide if it is viable in the next year or two as money is somewhat tight i have tried to price it up. She shoots from the right shoulder, i shoot from the left. Are there any truely ambidextrous rifles suitable or am i going to have to price up as needing two rifles?

I'm also left handed and have always managed with right handed guns, just reach over with my left hand to cycle the weapon, I imagine if your rifle is left handed she could do the same. It would actually seem odd to me having a left handed gun now as im so used to doing it this way. That said I also have an underlever which is perfect for me and for non south paws but I've not come across one in a calibre suitable for stalking!

Due eye problems I have, after 65 years, had to start shooting rifles off my left shoulder.

Seemed very weird at first but I have got used to it now.

Certainly not an option to change my rifles at my time of life.

You must ask the local fox population how effective my shooting is - If you can find any...

Try a Browning lever action. Available in a lot of useful calibres and very well built with a rotating bolt lock-up. Works fine either hand. You might have to have a shortish stock for th esmaller person and a slip on extender for the taller but it should work.

David.

Edited by Kalahari

Many thanks everyone.

We are the same height and take very similar stocks for shotgun so id expect length not to be a huge issue.

I know using an action designed for the other hand is quite possible, but i want to avoid the eye full of powder or in worst case sudden action failure into the face.

I was thinking more, is there a true ambidextrous action ala ithica shotgun, browning bps, or sa 22?

Edited by Wb123

How about a Blaser R93 or R8? You can get right or left handed bolt handles with the interchangeable bolt heads that eject one way or the other..... in other words, if you can both get by with a right-handed bolt handle just buy a second left ejecting bolt head.

I'm right-handed and my R93 has a RH bolt handle but my LRS2 has a leftie bolt with a RH bolt head so I can cycle the bolt and still have a firm grip on the gun without losing my sight picture..... very useful at times. A left kicking bolt head is useful if shooting out of a vehicle from the drivers seat too. If I'm out lamping on the back of the truck I'll happily take left-handed shots out to the right too.

Cheers

Fizz

Edited by fizzbangwhallop

The only thing that I have experienced with shooting a rifle zeroed for a left hander was a shift in the POI at 100 yards of some 50mm to one side.

To confirm my suspicions I rezeroed the rifle to me and handed it back, the left hander then shot a group which was off centre in an equivalent amount to the other side of centre.

Anyone else come across this? I would have thought no change in POI but there, in the real world, definitely was.