I will never take anyone out again

steve w

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so good for the local old boy who has been keeping down the pigeons for years and then gets kicked off the permission to make way for the city slickers with deep pockets

That's up to individual farmers morals, not the people who are willing to pay for a shoot.

I've had lots of very decent offers for shooting, which I've always refused, just saying, farming is a business like any other and if a return on the land is lucrative......

None of them were 'city slickers', not sure what you mean, it's always been decent chaps trying to secure some decent shooting and willing to pay for it.

If I needed to I'd prefer to be putting a few grand into my kids savings than not.

Edited by kyska

I'll chuck a couple of observations into the bear pit.

Firstly the 'mate' deserves the fleas of a thousand camels upon him. Integrity is everything.

When you have land it can sometimes seem like everyone wants a piece of it. It's easy to get a siege mentality at times.

However if you have 5000 pigeons raping your cereals then when it comes to cash changing hands there ought to be a happy medium (see below).

Lastly money does talk but where are the city boys when those pigeons do come calling? Old Bill and his mucker from the next village are easier to get out 'on call'. When the grey is there it's 'there'. It can't wait until the weekend.

Personally I don't believe in landowners being paid for amateur pest control - and this fits in with the requirements of the General license - if it needs controlling then it's legal and both parties win so cash muddies the water. If it doesn't need controlling then is it legal to shoot birds without any need simply for pleasure, money or no money? Remember the maxim - all wild birds are protected by law. This is often forgotten - and I enjoy pan fried pigeon with a sherry and honey deglaze ( light salad and some saute spuds) as much as the next person. My point here is that if the farmer is gaining something too at 5 tons/acre or thereabouts, to charge is taking the Michael.

Then of course if supply outstrips demand.........................££ creeps in again.

Edited by LeadWasp

[quote name="LeadWasp" post="3203543" timestamp="148 My point here is that if the farmer is gaining something too at 5 tons/acre or thereabouts, to charge is taking the Michael.

That's offensive, are you suggesting because someone is making money by a service they shouldn't charge for it?

Put that across the board of many services, think before you write and realise how ridiculous that idea is.

Fleet breakdown cover? Crikey, it saves having to tow a lorry independently, they shouldn't charge?

I'm still intrigued about the 'city slicker' comment that's jumped on, it's a nonsense.

It wasn't meant to be offensive so it's unfortunate you took it that way.

I also said 'amateur'. If an individual is protecting your crop on land with a yield of say 5 tons an acre then that saves you a lot of money - think of your inputs especially as wheat isn't the heady £220/ton it was. Why charge them? Oh and if your tractor is broken down you pay John Deere to come and fix it they don't pay for the fun of it. So I don't understand your point unless we're at cross purposes?

Lastly a neighbour of mine has/had crop covered in grey yet wants to charge £90 a day to people to come and shoot his problem. Slightly inverted values don't you think? Even if he can get away with it.

Oh and City Slickers can even put landowners noses out of joint. Buying up all the rights in a wide radius can cause all sorts of problems. Additionally if you take stalking - the new golf - there are a lot taking it up with deep pockets in the Home Counties. They have no fieldcraft, no empathy and no nightvision - because they're always on their smartphone 'Wotsappin' their mates as to which of them can pee higher up the tree with a bigger head. So that means they also have no idea about deer management. Additionally not knowing the ground, or the locals well they are less likely to know about the '90 driving past that the bush telegraph says is a lamping gang. Let alone tell you.

Edited by LeadWasp

its not about who owns the land, its called respect and if someone takes you out then they don't expect you to go to the farmer and get on there also, lucky for me the land owner would tell you to do one...

Well said I'm sure there's enough birds for everyone, happened to me now were shooting buddies so not always a bad thing its just pigeon shooters are gready and think they own the land once permission gained, u can't be there everyday so they find someone ho can, some people ain't got **** all to shoot just be glad u got somewhere and get on with it Edited by Shotguneddy

I also said 'amateur'. If an individual is protecting your crop on land with a yield of say 5 tons an acre then that saves you a lot of money - think of your inputs especially as wheat isn't the heady £220/ton it was. Why charge them?

Why charge them ? Because they are amateurs doing it for sport not just to stand up in the field and protect crops, by charging the farmer can be fairly certain the amateur will stay and do as he says not wander off because it is a bit cold, wet or he found something better to do, plus often they aren't interested until the pigeon numbers have built up and the damage is done and why shouldn't they pay if they are willing to value their sport enough to pay for it, you do not get a free round of golf because you aren't good enough to win or free entry to a Theme park if you not going to go on any rides.

In the case of the op though is not on to use a mate like that, he was good enough to take his mate out and he got stabbed in the back for his troubles plus has made him possibly not trust the next mate who may well be genuine.

but on a golf course the balls aren't ruining the green

a person's time, their cartridge money, and their effort = a crop protected. Both parties gain something.

You're clearly all happy to line up and pay so go for it. Everyone I know is always desperate for the black and grey to go, arable and pastural alike.

I don't fleece people who are helping me.

• 5 weeks later...

For ten years and more I took you on me perms

I thought it would be a good way for you to learn

A days pigeon shooting here

A goosy, goosy in the evening there

I was helping my mate out as you had nowhere

I gave you sport which can be hard to come by

Thought you were a mate, how wrong was I

I thought we had a mutual respect

It is our friendship which you've decided to neglect

This immoral act clearly shows where lies the blame

I will never take anyone out again!

Edited by 7daysinaweek

It's an all too common problem I'm afraid. I used to take quite a few "acquaintances" from work out pigeon shooting. Showed them the patch and gave them a few decent days. One day found out that 2 of these guys had approached one farm and said I'd given them permission to shoot! Fortunately the farm manager saw through them and sent them packing. They never mentioned their deception, even asking me "When are we going out next?" Their invite is permanently lost in the post. Not all people are as slimy as this, like one member mentioned it can be extremely rewarding to introduce newbies to the sport but when you get **** on it doesn't encourage you to do it again.

Ive taken a few on my perms over the years and to be honest never encountered a problem :no: in fact the reverse,ive got a good shooting mate outta it.We share our shooting perms throughout the year and it works very nicely :good:

Ive got a good relationship with the farmer and farm manager and only need to phone them when I think they need to know something,i always keep an eye out for people who shouldn't be on the land,escaped livestock or damaged fencing and give them a quick call to make them aware of any problems.

Only today I was sat in the hide when a dozen of his sheep ran past me,they had escaped and heading towards the main road, a quick call and he was there to round em up and get them back to the field.

A few months back he gave me permission to take whoever I choose to shoot his land :yes: I did think of offering some shooting on here,but after reading this I think I will stick to how things are and stick with people I can trust :ninja: Shooting land is so difficult to get and so EASY to lose,BB