Which breed

Proxy

I usuasly buy chudleys or (can't remember the brend now) puppy food is usually about 40 quid a bag for 15kg, but i imagine most of the top brands will be failry good.

Also depends wot ur dog eats, some can be funny at times

Cheers I'll have a look again when I'm in, just a question have you ever had pups or dogs that bark during the day much? I know the first few days there a bit unsettled, I'm going to get a water bottle and give it to the pup during the night should be good? Wrap it up with old t shirts or something.

I have two cockers and it's nearly all coastal wildfowling I do in the north of Scotland.

Great hunters and retrievers but soon get cold if out on the mudflats for an hour or two, even with neoprene jackets. Will retrieve duck and geese no problem.

They are not great at long distance retrieves but don't think that will be an issue for you.

Great characters and as others have said before they are great pets for the kids and love human contact and attention. Mine are house dogs so the smaller size compared to a lab is a benefit.

As they love human contact so much I am not sure how they would cope left in a kennel each day.

On the negative side they are a complete handful for the first few years. My youngest one is now 1 year old and there are still days when I think aaargh, just chill out little dog! Wired is what they are.

A lab would be a nice easy steady choice and I may get one yet, but if you want a bundle of hi energy fun and trouble then a cocker is the ticket!

If I looked clinically at the type of shooting I do, wildfowling and some pigeons, then the logical dog would be a lab, but I have two cockers so figure that out! I can't!!!

I have two cockers and it's nearly all coastal wildfowling I do in the north of Scotland.

Great hunters and retrievers but soon get cold if out on the mudflats for an hour or two, even with neoprene jackets. Will retrieve duck and geese no problem.

They are not great at long distance retrieves but don't think that will be an issue for you.

Great characters and as others have said before they are great pets for the kids and love human contact and attention. Mine are house dogs so the smaller size compared to a lab is a benefit.

As they love human contact so much I am not sure how they would cope left in a kennel each day.

On the negative side they are a complete handful for the first few years. My youngest one is now 1 year old and there are still days when I think aaargh, just chill out little dog! Wired is what they are.

A lab would be a nice easy steady choice and I may get one yet, but if you want a bundle of hi energy fun and trouble then a cocker is the ticket!

If I looked clinically at the type of shooting I do, wildfowling and some pigeons, then the logical dog would be a lab, but I have two cockers so figure that out! I can't!!!

Cheers

I'm still worrying about that if the cocker would be okay during the day for awhile, as I herd there all about humans etc, that's the only really thing that may stop me getting one, have you a springer flipper how do they compare ?

My two and half year old cocker bitch is in a kennel / run from 8-30 till around 11-30 five days a week (caged in house for same period if weather is cold) pretty sure she does not sleep during this time but she shows no signs of unhappiness or distress. Personally I would not like to leave her for more than four hours max but that is more to do with me being a soft **** 😁

Cheers for the reply!

As for ducks mainly looking for a dog to scare them or spook them only time I'd need them to retrieve is when I do shoot a duck, I will start decoying later on next year but the lakes are very small and I don't think a springer or cocker would struggle as I know the labs are very good swimmers! I know a lab would be perfect but I can't get two dogs as my work schedule is messed up and getting one pup fits right at the moment! Just looking for an all rounder basically! I have two other family pets so I guess the pup should be fine with the other two!

Also I'd be shooting inland lakes not Marshes or anything yet!

Hi Proxy , Why do you need a dog to scare or spook the duck ? . Good luck with whatever breed you decide on .

Hi Proxy , Why do you need a dog to scare or spook the duck ? . Good luck with whatever breed you decide on .

Thanks for the reply

I mean to say if I was shooting a river or pond just walkup shooting not waiting for them to land at the evening like a flight pond, they would ride the birds then hopefully I'd get one and then they would retrieve, going to be shooting a lot of rough ground next season so basically a allrounder do that can do everything to a good standard!

I have four dogs two Cockers, a Black flat coated retriever, and a Golden retriever. The Cockers are unbelievable hard workers and will keep going all day long, I work mine three or four days a week through the season so they earn their keep. Their only draw back is they do get cold when they stop, they will go in all of the cover I have come across so far even though they haven't got the thickest of coats.

The Black Flat coat is a great water dog and loves being in it and around it no matter what the weather, they are worth looking into they have great noses and are very good company especially if you only end up with one Dog. They don't get cold at least I haven't seen mine bothered by any even with ice on her coat, their main draw back is they take time to train and mature.

Golden retrievers are overlooked these days, they are seen as a family dog more so than a working dog. Mine is so laid back you forget she is there most of the time, she is a great worker, she really gives her all every time I take her, she is also very good in the water and doesn't feel the cold. There are many more breeds worth thinking about, it is worth going for something that is tried and tested and stood the test of time.

At the end of the day it's your choice, and you need to be happy with the one you make. There is a reason you see loads of Labs, Springers, Cockers etc they work and they work well, but don't rule out some of the other breeds. Good luck...

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I'd say is keeping one dog in a smallish run won't do much good for it's mental welfare longer term even if taken out twice daily. They need company, so if keeping in a run, I'd always keep two together. Siblings work well. Just a consideration.

As an all rounder, I'd also throw in the GWP which was bred to do a bit of everything from retrieval work over land and water to deer stalking. They also make fab family dogs.

One of the best I had was a Golden Retriever crossed with a large Lab. Big dog, very bright, great temperament and easy to train. Spaniels can be harder and can be daft as a brush. They need more control and more intensive training imho having had several Springers.

Without doubt the best option for the work described would be an English Springer Spaniel, retrieves great, big enough for any quarry and when experienced any marsh.. they also work cover superbly..

Steadier than a cocker but not as steady as a lab... GOOD LUCK its a hard decision but whichever way you go I am sure you will enjoy shooting with your new companion..

atb

Terry

• 4 months later...