Plumbers, I need to pick your brains....

Highlandladdie

I am getting a new oil fired boiler installed and, in an attempt to cut some costs I'm going to install the base and dig the track to the hoose.

Just a few questions, as its the weekend and I can't get in touch with the plumbers.

Oil pipe will be buried and will be underneath my drive. What sort of containment is generally used? Just 4" soil pipe? All the OFTEC guidance says is that it has to 450mm down and be protected from accidental damage. Not very specific.

Where in relation to the base does the containment have to arrive? and do you take the containment right to the surface? I was wondering about water entering the containment and just sitting there? Or can you reduce the pipe down to say, 50mm?

Some silly questions probably. Any help gratefully received

How about sleevimg the pipe in alcathene marked with oil tape to identify it. Then silicone the ends up so stop it filling with water if your worried about it.cover the pipe with pea gravel or sand so that if it's dug up people will see the sand/gravel before the pipe

Edited by Darno

Oftec don't recommend sleeving/ducting as in case of escape it could become a fire risk. Use plastic coated soft copper sufficient for the piperun length/boiler requirements, this should be in the appropriate trench as to foot or vehicle traffic in a sand bed with warning tape on top if tiles I believe. If you send me your email I will get the books out and send the pages.

Oftec don't recommend sleeving/ducting as in case of escape it could become a fire risk. Use plastic coated soft copper sufficient for the piperun length/boiler requirements, this should be in the appropriate trench as to foot or vehicle traffic in a sand bed with warning tape on top if tiles I believe. If you send me your email I will get the books out and send the pages.

I'd really appreciate that, thank you! Pm'd :good:

Thought with oil it had to be contained from contaminating the ground. The big tank of oil might pose a fire risk too. I understand with gas pipes in the ground the ducting has to be perforated to allow leaking gas to escape.

Edited by figgy