Smk synsg

Wb123

I have a cheap smk bought for plinking a few years back. I never did much with it beyond try and teach safe handling and generally enthuse some younger siblings. I now find myself living in northern ireland with it on my FAC. Ive been meaning to take it apart and polish it up and try and improve the trigger, but given no power limit here should I be replacing the mainspring also?

There will be no market for a second hand smk i imagine, so going over 12foot pounds shouldnt hammer the resale value below zero.

Will a new spring be likely to make a smoother and more accurate gun, or should i just polish up the limited one?

I think that the silence following your post speaks volumes. The old saying that you "cannot polish a T**d" is most apt in your situation. Spending money on a budget Chinese Take Away that was never likely to be more accurate than a Tossed Salad is only likely to end in tears - what you will have, in effect, is something with the ability to kill all the things that you will never hit with it. Buy a HW80 is you want high powered spring Nirvana.

Hello I am new to the forum and would like to join in, I have followed many of the post but have only now joined the forum, my history is in my profile to view should you wish to. I would like to mention something about the SMK if I can. I have a tx200 mk 3 and a webley and a newer SMK XS19SYNGR /gasram .22, my experience with this gun has been tricky, the seal in the piston failed on 2 occasions so a drop in power came my way from 11.1ft lb down to just above 7ftlb a replacement rifle went the same way which was a pain as I really like using this rifle, it comes easy to the shoulder and is lighter than the tx and to be honest the SMK is nicer to shoot the tx is just too much metal and wood and a real pain to carry around.

I decided to take the gasram out and with the help of Welsh Willy, he changed it over to spring power with one of his kits, the rifle is now av 11.4ftlb topping out at 11.7 depending on pellet, with RWS superdome the variation is 7fps over 20shots, Hobbys 6fps ..Remington Hamer Express 12fps.. superfields 8fps this isn't bad for a rifle of this price.

As Bruno says SMK's are cheap some are probably next to useless, but with a little help some can prerform just as good as many other rifles, mine can hit anything the TX can and is more user friendly and is now my main rifle the Webley is more or less the same ..the SMK has the same knock down power and can hit the drawing pin holding up a target at 35yds when I am not shaking about.

I can nearly hit the same as my Bothers HW100K but of course mine has recoil to deal with, but not as much as you would think since the conversion.

I think WB123 depending on money the rifle could be put right should you wish to, how well it will shoot taken over 12ftlb I don't know ..as mentioned these are cheaper than some guns but in some cases can be just as good to complete a kill.

By the way I found out the rifle lost power was through my Caldwell chrono, and for those that have smk gasrams they can go quite quickly unless you check with a chrono it can be difficult to gauge this power loss at short range shooting. I am also a bit anal I weigh pellets before any testing.. oh the shame.

Cheers

MM

Edited by madmax666

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't fancy the hassle of putting in for a variation and spending a wedge on something more refined so I had a chat with Welsh Willy. He reckons these can "shoot very well at 12 ft lbs or a little above. I have found that iff too big a spring is fitted they tend to become quite a jumpy rifle and accuracy is lost".

I have ordered a tuning kit from him for the most reasonable sum of £66 and will report back once it has arrived and been tested.

If you've already got it, it's worth a try (for £66). The synsg is a clone of the Diana 34, but you may find the finishing of parts inferior. Barrels can be a bit hit and miss (excuse the pun). I have an xs20 (a HW95 clone) and whilst it was a good rifle to shoot (I bought it pre-tuned from Lyn Lewington the V Mach technician), the barrel let it down on accuracy past 20yds. Being a clone, I purchased a .177 HW95 barrel and quite frankly you will struggle to differentiate firing cycle from my SFS tuned HW95 (also in .177). I also have an smk xs19 in the cabinet and with a welsh will tuning it's shoots very nicely (but needed a trigger upgrade from new, the Gamo 440 and it's clones are pretty notorious for this). I've consistently hit a 40mmx40mm knockdown with the '19 at 75yds at a spring air rifle 'bash', so not all barrels are bad - just some.

Hope you have some success with it. If not, Edgar Bros are now Diana agents and you will get some keen pricing on a the full range, but if it's FAC you want, the mod 52 (now that will do 24fpe+) might be the answer.

• 2 years later...

If you are looking for a cheapo please STAY AWAY from the SMK SYNXS! A good one is the SMK 19-18XS and is the best you could get for a reasonable low price and have the ease of tuning. I had one, did a Welsh Willy tune up on it and now wish I had never sold it!