semi auto on a game shoot

kody

As a ghillie on a salmon river, there is nothing which disgusts and annoys me more than the pathetic, high browed, snobbish view that fly fishing for salmon is a more skillful and morally superior way of doing than any other method (actually it's often less skillful than other methods, but that's another story...)

One of the things that I love about the sister sport of shooting is that this level of snobbery is usually less evident. I would argue that if you're going to shoot something, what difference does it make if you shoot it with a single barrel, a side by side, over and under, semi auto or pump action? You're still killing it, and I don't imagine that the pheasant much prefers the option of being shot by a side by side to a semi-auto! As long as the person using the weapon is a safe and responsible shot, what does it matter?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a ghillie on a salmon river, there is nothing which disgusts and annoys me more than the pathetic, high browed, snobbish view that fly fishing for salmon is a more skillful and morally superior way of doing than any other method (actually it's often less skillful than other methods, but that's another story...)

One of the things that I love about the sister sport of shooting is that this level of snobbery is usually less evident. I would argue that if you're going to shoot something, what difference does it make if you shoot it with a single barrel, a side by side, over and under, semi auto or pump action? You're still killing it, and I don't imagine that the pheasant much prefers the option of being shot by a side by side to a semi-auto! As long as the person using the weapon is a safe and responsible shot, what does it matter?[/quote

That's your opinion

One of the things that I love about the sister sport of shooting is that this level of snobbery is usually less evident. I would argue that if you're going to shoot something, what difference does it make if you shoot it with a single barrel, a side by side, over and under, semi auto or pump action? You're still killing it, and I don't imagine that the pheasant much prefers the option of being shot by a side by side to a semi-auto! As long as the person using the weapon is a safe and responsible shot, what does it matter?

I do not disagree about the skill required to catch fish by methods other than fly fishing! But feel it worth pointing out that as a ghillie these same anglers who apparantly have a "pathetic, high browed, snobbish view" of fly fishing for Salmon, that "disgusts and annoys you" so much....keep you in your job and pay your wages!

Your clients have their own view (maybe to you wrongly?) of the methods they choose to use.......you are employed to help them catch a fish not criticise them!........I bet you don't despise them enough to refuse the tip they give you at the end of the day!

Any method employed to catch/kill your quarry is the mark of a pot hunter...........not a "sportsman" with fishing or shooting there's nothing morally wrong with either, but don't try and catogorise them both as sport!

I should add I am a pot hunter when it comes to game fish.....where allowed I use worm, spinner, plugs, shrimp, prawn, maggot, fly in fact any legal method. I take what I catch for the table, and will stop fishing when I have caught enough for my own use!

About half way through

No, from your initial post. Like I said, if you're a stickler for tradition how far back do you want to go? Side x sided? Black powder? Non-ejectors?

Tradition is fine as long as it isn't detrimental to progress.

A young lad whom used to beat on a local shoot only had a cheap auto as it was all he had at the time; I bought it for him.

The keeper said he would have felt ashamed of himself if he'd told him he couldn't shoot unless he had a double ejector.

What sort of message are we trying to send out to those youngsters starting out?

Like I said; I can't ever see the auto replacing the double ejector on driven days (pumps have been used on ours) but do we really want to enforce the already elitist stigma with which driven shooting is perceived?