Food sealer...

novice cushie shooter

I purchased a small vacuum packer some years ago for £35 and it is still doing the job. I buy my bags from Lakeland. OK, they are cheaper elsewhere but I find Lakelands have more of a corrugation to the surface and I have never had freezer burn through them. Vacuum packing is the way to go. It saves so much space and with loose stuff like peas and beans they don't burst all over the bottom of the freezer.

Apart from meat, I pack all of my plums and apples and pears. de stone and halve the plums and initially freeze them laid on trays then put them in the vacuum bags. Apples I spiral with a peeler ... again from Lakeland and vacuum them. pears I halve and ;ay them flat in the bag before vacuuming them and they are then like the plums individual and not all stuck together.

Edited by Walker570

I purchased a small vacuum packer some years ago for £35 and it is still doing the job. I buy my bags from Lakeland. OK, they are cheaper elsewhere but I find Lakelands have more of a corrugation to the surface and I have never had freezer burn through them. Vacuum packing is the way to go. It saves so much space and with loose stuff like peas and beans they don't burst all over the bottom of the freezer.

Apart from meat, I pack all of my plums and apples and pears. de stone and halve the plums and initially freeze them laid on trays then put them in the vacuum bags. Apples I spiral with a peeler ... again from Lakeland and vacuum them. pears I halve and ;ay them flat in the bag before vacuuming them and they are then like the plums individual and not all stuck together.

^^ This - look on Amazon

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies

The cheapish thing from Lakeland has long gone. Mine packed up after two years and when I went to the shop to buy a new one to replace it I told the lady behind the counter the same story. She asked me whether I still had the box and receipt (I did) - she then told me to bring in the broken one in its box and they replaced it there and then GRATIS.

This is, now, the cheapest model:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/19653/Foodsaver-Vacuum-Sealer-FFS002

My older white one is still being used to marinate, for my curing (pre-smoking), fish, birds, bait, unused bait, rabbits, leftovers, making pastrami, wrapping things for picnics...

When (and if) it goes I would immediately spend money to replace it with the newer model. I cannot recommend this product strongly enough...

• 1 month later...

As above, this is the one i have, and nothing gets freezer burn anymore

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Professional-Quality-Machine/dp/B001HBE5Y8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1490954812&sr=8-8&keywords=vacuum+sealer

it's now about 5 years old and still going strong. I buy replacement bags from amazon, roughly £40 for about 100 metres of varying widths.

AB

• 2 weeks later...

As above, this is the one i have, and nothing gets freezer burn anymore

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-Professional-Quality-Machine/dp/B001HBE5Y8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1490954812&sr=8-8&keywords=vacuum+sealer

it's now about 5 years old and still going strong. I buy replacement bags from amazon, roughly £40 for about 100 metres of varying widths.

AB

Just recently bought the black version of this, so far seems excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought one of the higher end Foodseala ones a few years back. Wouldn't be without it. All my pigeon breasts are vac packed with it and look exactly the same when the come out of the freezer and are defrosted months later. The Adrew James rolls that I use are a bit dearer but they are good quality and you can make the bags to the sizes you want.

... All my pigeon breasts are vac packed with it and look exactly the same when the come out of the freezer and are defrosted months later...

That's the thing - the microbiologists (actually cryobiologists) I work with have often said that they reckon vac-packed meat stored in a freezer should be good for "years". Interestingly, when they requested that I bring my one in to work to show them they immediately went back to their desks and ordered one from Lakeland.

Best thing I ever bought was a vacuum packer! Think it cost about £35 two years ago. When this one packs in the only thing I'd change would be looking if they make a wider model. This one is about A4 size but I've got some A3 size bags which I have to seal twice. But it's not really an issue.

Check the bag quality as some bags are not as thick and don't have the crimping which I think helps prevent freezer burn. I buy rolls from Lakeland, a bit more expensive but good quality. Would not be without one now. No peas and beans rolling around in the freezer floor and easily written on with a marker pen. Mine was £35 years ago and still doing the job.

• 1 month later...