Woodcock Hunting December 2016

ollie

Some more woodcock/rough shooting from Ireland. This was recorded on the 17th December 2016.

We seemed to come on a fall of birds that had arrived in with the recent full moon. We flushed 21 woodcock, 10 of which made it into the bag along with 1 snipe & 1 pheasant.

Apologies about all the slow motions, however, it is sometimes quite difficult to pick up the birds without slow motion shots.

Thanks for watching

Such beautiful coutryside with the water in the distance.You guys are so quick on these birds-esp. the snipe! I would be standing there with my mouth open & too late to shoot?Savour what you have there.Thanks for sharing.I think the dogs have as much fun as you by the way.

What county was that in some fine weather their lads

We are in County Antrim on the coast.

Good shooting Ollie. Unbelievable blue skies in December. Great ground you have to shoot over.

Thanks Al. The weather has been unreal this Winter, not always the crisp days I enjoy but the sun has been shining more than not.

Very good shooting Ollie, we've had a fantastic woodcock season here in north wales big numbers of woodcock around with good shooting weather for a change, that was a great video I really enjoyed that thank you.

It's been a better season for woodcock this year than last year that is for sure. Thanks for watching.

These video's are not so easy. Thx for making the effort looks like a great day out. Something on tonight about declining woodcock over here. :unhappy:

It's so difficult unless they reach the skyline its sometime difficult to make them out, especially with the speed of the birds. The decline seems to be on the resident population, a lot of that I would put down to loss of habitat; I used to have some of great marshy ground for woodcock but the farmers are removing cover & draining ground. This is pushing some of the birds into blocks of forestry which makes them difficult to count.

Another great offering, good to see the dogs and some sharp shooting. :good:

Thanks for watching as always Cranfield.

Such beautiful coutryside with the water in the distance.You guys are so quick on these birds-esp. the snipe! I would be standing there with my mouth open & too late to shoot?Savour what you have there.Thanks for sharing.I think the dogs have as much fun as you by the way.

You always need to be prepared when woodcock shooting, especially is you are doing ditches as they quite often dip over the ditch before you get a shot. We are very lucky with what we have here and we are always mindful not to overshoot the wild bird. We could have shot more this day but we let some of them fly on. Dogs love it, that's what they live for.