Social media and firearms owners

wildfowler.250

i would wager they were targeted by professional thieves,not the local scroat that lives on the estate,the casual burglar will quite readily take your tv,laptop,jewels,etc because they know if they get caught most likely get six months,or a bit of community service.but get caught with a gun and its almost certain 5 years.

Trust me, most scrotes don't think that far ahead, if they could get their hands on one they will.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They found out where George Digweed lived. ???

Will never post anything related to my hobby on there,,they just ask a casual aquaintence where you live these days,,someone will tell them.!!!.

They were locals and everyone who is local to him, knows where he lives. Just in the same way that most of the locals knew the scrotes who did it.

Personally I didn't know where Georges lives exactly until I went to that nice shoot last week where someone told me they were neighbors and he lived 'over there look'. No social media involved.

As far as hidding from the anti, I think NOT telling about what we do is worse; you are making us some sort of secret society were we can't talk about what we do. I think most people shooting game are probably just fine as human beings (apart from some people here on PW obviously) but all the people *I've* see lately are people who love the country, the game, the shooting and are keenly aware of what responsibility we got.

Now, *perhaps* some shoots should be ashamed at raising millions of birds to be shot at by clueless bankers. But this is not what I'm doing, most definitely not.

Edited by buze

Don't use "social media". Its just another mental illness !

How true , I'm having big problems at this very moment

twelve school kids posted they are going to kill ,beat up and use knuckle dusters on my son ,loads off mentall torture pictures names were how the complete works , one actually hit him , now he ain't shy to strike back but we asked him to walk away and let the police and school sort this , they didn't do anything and the messages kept coming I had a chat with the police three times before they actually went to the school even though i had a crime number ,the school didn't even ring me for seven days so they had both barrels , all they can do is keep him safe in school out of school they are not bothered

FACEBOOK with kids is very dangerous

I agree that making it obvious you have guns is a bad idea but I think people can be a bit paranoid at the same time. I don't use FB, but what little I've seen doesn't make me think it's full of criminal masterminds trying to work out your address and come and nick your guns. The chances of said criminal working out where you live, deciding he lives near enough to you to make it worth the journey, coming to your house with suitable equipment to open a gun safe, and by chance turning up when no-one is in so he can burgle you seems more far-fetched than a random scrote breaking into your house looking for a DVD player.

There's so many other ways you give the game away (apart from the obvious of carrying a gun to the car). Shooting magazines in the post, empty cartridge boxes in the recycling, camo jackets hanging up in the hallway, one of your mates mentioning in passing he went shooting with you last weekend, signs that say "trespassers will be shot." (Only kidding about the last one.)

FB to me is more about people trying to get themselves arrested than trying to rob you.

Just my take on it, as ever. :good:

They found out where George Digweed lived.???

Will never post anything related to my hobby on there,,they just ask a casual aquaintence where you live these days,,someone will tell them.!!!.

I think everyone in Georges locality would have know where he lives whether he was on social media or not,

Before social media was invented (yes there was a time) people still found out where people lived

:shaun:

How true , I'm having big problems at this very moment

twelve school kids posted they are going to kill ,beat up and use knuckle dusters on my son ,loads off mentall torture pictures names were how the complete works , one actually hit him , now he ain't shy to strike back but we asked him to walk away and let the police and school sort this , they didn't do anything and the messages kept coming I had a chat with the police three times before they actually went to the school even though i had a crime number ,the school didn't even ring me for seven days so they had both barrels , all they can do is keep him safe in school out of school they are not bothered

FACEBOOK with kids is very dangerous

Trial by Facebook is a big thing and is damaging on so many levels. I've seen this going on from some fairly high profile people who use it as a platform to spread rumour and discredit people. It's the lowest form of bullying.

I think well moderate forums such as this one cannot be compared with the other 'social media' sites. How much sexual grooming have you seen on here resulting in rapes and murder. I am on two well moderated forums, this being one and I am a Super Moderator on another. Just a bit different to facebook, where my wife found her photograph had been put on without her permission. Needless to say the stupid little tart who took the photo had a talking too she will not forget in a hurry.

I think well moderate forums such as this one cannot be compared with the other 'social media' sites. How much sexual grooming have you seen on here resulting in rapes and murder. I am on two well moderated forums, this being one and I am a Super Moderator on another. Just a bit different to facebook, where my wife found her photograph had been put on without her permission. Needless to say the stupid little tart who took the photo had a talking too she will not forget in a hurry.

If you walk around London you can quite easily end up on national television 'without permission'. Is it really such a problem?

I am admin on a few pages on fb and it is no different as here,people are warned if they overstep the mark and comments can be deleted.it is no different from this forum, except fb is faster moving.As for your wife's picture being put up ,what was the context, had someone taken her picture?

We used Facebook for our shoot(closed group) so no outsiders/ friends could see without being accepted as a group member of which I was the administrator. However I don't use FB since retiring from shooting and have never posted about guns on any social media other than hear.

I got enough stick from someone on hear when I posted a picture of a headshot rabbit and that was enough and this is a shooting forum.As far as the security issue,Durham a few years back where blabbering on about BASC sticker in cars etc and keeping guns out of the sight the general public when putting them in the car.Shooting looks like it's being forced underground.If people wish to post pictures etc then that's their choice.i know on here there was a thread running where posters where listing all the guns currently in their possession. That wouldn't be a wise move if designatory information was accesssble on this forum.

What we need to worry about is the sport being damaged,when we have the likes of Lupton on the Fieldsports channel shooting at pictures of Brian May.

My friend was due his fac renewal, and when doing house visit, the feo had printed my friends Facebook pages with hunting pictures on, was told not to post any more as it compromises security. I myself am not on Facebook, as I can't stand it.

I would take offence to that. The law stipulates what you have to do in respect of security not the opinion of a feo.

Police advice on security.

Carelessness on social media could lead to revocation as a breach of your FAC conditions as it could compromise your personal safety and security of the firearms.

Surely that should read

Carelessness could lead to revocation as a breach of your FAC conditions as it could compromise your personal safety and security of the firearms.

Which guidance doc is that is in btw?

Edited by HDAV

Surely that should read

Carelessness could lead to revocation as a breach of your FAC conditions as it could compromise your personal safety and security of the firearms.

Which guidance doc is that is in btw?

Frequently Asked Questions - Police Service of Northern Ireland
https://www. psni.police.uk/advice_information/firearms/frequently-asked-questions/

My Son is a respectable and professional football blogger. He is going up to Liverpool this week to share a box with Gerrard and a few others. Next week he could be at Chelsea or Arsenal

Any footballer who posts on social media, he has their address within minutes. I don't know how but that's what he does, its how he makes his living.

You are doing the same, OK you are not a footballer but don't for one minute you are not traceable

My Son is a respectable and professional football blogger. He is going up to Liverpool this week to share a box with Gerrard and a few others. Next week he could be at Chelsea or Arsenal

Any footballer who posts on social media, he has their address within minutes. I don't know how but that's what he does, its how he makes his living.

You are doing the same, OK you are not a footballer but don't for one minute you are not traceable

And your point is?

My doctor has me flagged on his computer, hardly the most secure system ever invented is it, ask locally and people will tell you i'm the bloke for a rabbit or two, better still why not follow me or any other home from the local gun shop so you will be absolutely sure where i live.Finding info on people is not hard, i used to do it as part of my job,a lot on here have given enough information to be able to trace them.

If someone wants to find out about you then they will.

As for football players, hardly the lowest profiles in the country are they

He uses Google. It really is that easy... Any on here that has instagram, just google image search your alias... You will see most of your images come up. Search your twtter name. You will probably find it links to 192.com. Then all people need to do is know your name and bingo, has all your previous addresses and your current one..

It really is that easy.... Guns or no guns the intenet has made these kinds of information searches simple and quick.