Norfolk broads

chady

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have herd this pilot thing before? What is it? I take it you have to let someone trained to drive the boat under the bridge?

Do you have to prebook? Or are they just sat in a office next to the bridge? And how much please?

Broads are good very relaxing and the fishing is great in season.

If you intend to go to Potter Heigham and fancy getting onto Hickling Broad bear in mind you will need a pilot to get under the bridge as its tidal and the headroom is not great.

There are a lot of pubs on the broads with moorings or moorings close by.

Did you book this? is so who with. We went to the broads last summer for the first time, only had a day boat but it left me wanting more! No real advice to offer but it is a beautiful area but as said yarmouth not the best.

We booked with boards.co.uk.

I have herd this pilot thing before? What is it? I take it you have to let someone trained to drive the boat under the bridge?

Do you have to prebook? Or are they just sat in a office next to the bridge? And how much please?

The pilots office is on the right just before the bridge, no booking required but he only operates in normal office hours,I think the service is free ( paid for by the big boat hire fleets to save damage to their craft), you pull in and he will take the boat through, the same applies to coming back down stream, problem you may have is water levels , in the rainy season (September to June, haha) the levels coming out of hickling and horsey mere are normally high, reducing bridge clearance, Even cruisers with low tops or fold downs cannot get under anymore, the bridge is slowly sinking into the mud, in1958, the first time I came on the broads with my pops we took a huge 40 foot timber cruiser under unaided and only folded down the windscreen,nowadays its great for me as up in hickling all year round we only get sailing boats and day boats disturbing our fishing sessions, none of the large cruisers can normally get through, The boat you hire will probably have a notice inside which forbids you attempting to pass under the bridge (depending on its size) ,Hickling and horsey are huge expanses of shallow water surrounded by reed beds, one pub at the top end of hickling, horsey village also has a pub but its a long walk from the moorings.there are no mooring places in either of the broads , only at the entrance to hickling in deep go dyke, or at the top end of each next to the pubs.but they are great spaces for the sailing enthusiasts, sadly not me anymore , at 69 with a bad back its a comfy seat and a fishing rod for me. :yes::yes:

That's quite touching I'm from a place called Coalville, a thriving town! Then the mine closed and the town was ok but slowly got more and more run down.

It's still your home with fond memories.

Thank you for you kind offer.

I have currently got the map out on my lap.

I have lived in Yarmouth for nigh on 70 years and over the years there has been good and bad times , in the late 50s and early 60s we had the Herring industry in full swing with the river packed with drifters from Scotland and many a time I would hitch a ride up the river on a Saturday morning after they had unloaded there catch and were going to moor for the weekend before going back out to sea on the Monday morning , I still have fond memories of the crews I met and got to know , lovely friendly people.

Then we had the north sea gas starting up , with a lot of employment on oil rigs and the boats that serviced them , in fact I worked on a supply boat when I came out of the R N , good money but I then preferred dry land and my days at sea came to an end.

We have now got a lot of work in the harbour with the wind turbines that are going up in the North sea and there is a lot of work for the guys who install them.

Now the bad bits , yes I must admit the town is run down and if the immigrants were sent back the place would be nearly empty , but the seafront is now clean and tidy and we still get our fair share of visitors in the summer and we have got some excellent countryside on our doorstep , you can step off the train , walk a hundred yards and you see one of the most important estuary in the country with birdlife running into there 1000s ,

So its not every ones cup of tea , but where is ? , in you like the countryside and are thinking in coming down this way by all means get in touch and I will do my best to either show you or tell you where the best places are .

You buy the boat and your grandkids do the backbreaking work ha ha 👍

The pilots office is on the right just before the bridge, no booking required but he only operates in normal office hours,I think the service is free ( paid for by the big boat hire fleets to save damage to their craft), you pull in and he will take the boat through, the same applies to coming back down stream, problem you may have is water levels , in the rainy season (September to June, haha) the levels coming out of hickling and horsey mere are normally high, reducing bridge clearance, Even cruisers with low tops or fold downs cannot get under anymore, the bridge is slowly sinking into the mud, in1958, the first time I came on the broads with my pops we took a huge 40 foot timber cruiser under unaided and only folded down the windscreen,nowadays its great for me as up in hickling all year round we only get sailing boats and day boats disturbing our fishing sessions, none of the large cruisers can normally get through, The boat you hire will probably have a notice inside which forbids you attempting to pass under the bridge (depending on its size) ,Hickling and horsey are huge expanses of shallow water surrounded by reed beds, one pub at the top end of hickling, horsey village also has a pub but its a long walk from the moorings.there are no mooring places in either of the broads , only at the entrance to hickling in deep go dyke, or at the top end of each next to the pubs.but they are great spaces for the sailing enthusiasts, sadly not me anymore , at 69 with a bad back its a comfy seat and a fishing rod for me. :yes::yes:

That's quite touching I'm from a place called Coalville, a thriving town! Then the mine closed and the town was ok but slowly got more and more run down.

It's still your home with fond memories.

Thank you for you kind offer.

I have currently got the map out on my lap.

Cheers chady , Whenever and wherever you decide to go on the Broads, I hope the weather is on its best behaviour and you and your family have a safe and lovely time.

I passed both Filby and Rollesby Broad today and both of them were iced over , not very thick ice but strong enough to support the wildfowl that live there , no sign of ice at Potter Heigham though , as it is running water .

Ok then here goes,

Saturday pick boat up 16:00

Wroxham to Coltishall

Sunday

Coltishall to Stalham (call in at ludham)

Monday

Stalham to Hickling

Tuesday

Hickling to Ackle

Wednesday

Ackle to Yarmouth

Thursday

Yarmouth to Stokesby

Friday

Stokesby to Horning

Saturday

Horning to wroxham

Do you think this is doable? I've tried to allow time for short stop offs and calling into little broads along the way?

Or any more suggestions?

Thanks all

Jamie

The Ferry Inn at Horning has a games room and an outside play area for the kids they also do a decent buffet for £7.95 a head, last there in

September and still good value. Be a shame for you to miss Ranworth, the Maltsters do decent food and the view from St. Helens church tower is well worth the ninety odd steps to get up there, bear in mind that I might be biased as I was born there! Have a good time and more importantly have a

safe time, use the life jackets supplied as there are unfortunately several drownings a season that could be avoided, these include dogs as well.

Atb Steve.

The Ferry Inn at Horning has a games room and an outside play area for the kids they also do a decent buffet for £7.95 a head, last there in

September and still good value. Be a shame for you to miss Ranworth, the Maltsters do decent food and the view from St. Helens church tower is well worth the ninety odd steps to get up there, bear in mind that I might be biased as I was born there! Have a good time and more importantly have a

safe time, use the life jackets supplied as there are unfortunately several drownings a season that could be avoided, these include dogs as well.

Atb Steve.

Forgot about ranworth ill re jig it as I actually want to go up the church tower!

Are you still there? It's seams like I will be passing 1/2 of PW 😂😀

And fully agree in reguards life jackets!

I thought the bridge pilot took the reg number, and you pay at the boat hire company on your return? It was something like £5

Personally, I paid the extra and hired a dingy, took my own outboard. And pootled up the smaller branches.

As I said! Better to take a bus, train or taxi to Yarmouth. You can then enjoy the town, and not worry about getting the kids back onboard at low tide!

The water has a seriously dangerous current there. Breydon water is not a place I would want a mishap in.

Just my thoughts though. But getting transport there also allows a few beers with a meal at the Yankee traveller ;)

If you are going to do Yarmouth, be very aware of the tides. If you're planning to go through to Braydon Water you'll have to time it right with the tide to get under the bridges. My dads boat is based in Horning (just opposite the Swan Pub) and every year we take her through Yarmouth and down to London. It's very important to have enough height to get under the bridges. Lots get caught in the tide (very strong in the run towards the bridges) although if stopping at the yacht station you'll be ahead of the bridges.

Just plan well in advance.

This video shows you the bridges heading North up the Bure.

https://youtu.be/OwRIn1b0TvU

Steve

Edited by stevo_m

That stretch is awful when driving a car. In a boat it is mind numingly dull.

Maybe it is for some , but if you are going by boat , there is the Acle Bridge Inn , decent beer , grub and a play area for the kiddies , then moving a couple of miles down the river there is the Stokebsy Ferry P H , twenty yards from the river and I have heard the beer is good , then you can stop at the old Stracy Arms , where you can take the kids up to the top of the windmill and see for miles on a clear day , then there is a fair run down to Yarmouth where you have the White Swan and the Suspension Bridge P H with play areas for the children , easy walking distance into the town and the sea front .

As for the road , I must admit , it is a nightmare with single file traffic and in the mornings there is often a three to four mile tail back getting into the town , but as a keen wildfowler and bird watcher to me it is like heaven , I can get up there in minutes and you don't have to worry about losing sight of your car , as the area is that flat , wherever you park it you can walk for miles and if your eyes are good enough it , you will still be able to see it , ..until it get to dark that is . :lol:

Maybe it is for some , but if you are going by boat , there is the Acle Bridge Inn , decent beer , grub and a play area for the kiddies , then moving a couple of miles down the river there is the Stokebsy Ferry P H , twenty yards from the river and I have heard the beer is good , then you can stop at the old Stracy Arms , where you can take the kids up to the top of the windmill and see for miles on a clear day , then there is a fair run down to Yarmouth where you have the White Swan and the Suspension Bridge P H with play areas for the children , easy walking distance into the town and the sea front .

As for the road , I must admit , it is a nightmare with single file traffic and in the mornings there is often a three to four mile tail back getting into the town , but as a keen wildfowler and bird watcher to me it is like heaven , I can get up there in minutes and you don't have to worry about losing sight of your car , as the area is that flat , wherever you park it you can walk for miles and if your eyes are good enough it , you will still be able to see it , ..until it get to dark that is . :lol:

Can recommend the beer at the Bridge Inn at Acle. Went there last Saturday. They had Woodforde Wherry

and Adnams Broadside. Had the Broadside, my particular favourite, when I can get it. Lovely stuff.

OB

Thanks I spoke to my wife and we're going to give Yarmouth a miss, it sounds to risky judging the tides etc.

Thanks.

I'm going to have another look at the map tonight

If you are going to do Yarmouth, be very aware of the tides. If you're planning to go through to Braydon Water you'll have to time it right with the tide to get under the bridges. My dads boat is based in Horning (just opposite the Swan Pub) and every year we take her through Yarmouth and down to London. It's very important to have enough height to get under the bridges. Lots get caught in the tide (very strong in the run towards the bridges) although if stopping at the yacht station you'll be ahead of the bridges.

Just plan well in advance.

This video shows you the bridges heading North up the Bure.

https://youtu.be/OwRIn1b0TvU

Steve

Good job I'm only hiring one then!

The wife Snd I was looking for new garden furniture and didnt want to spend £500 as it was looking like it was going to cost £500! And couldn't get a st for £200 or less!

We ended up coming out the shop with a £500 blow up hot tub!!!

I was told a boat is a hole in the water into which you pour money! Sounds like owning a land Rover so I'll stick to that ;)

Yes twice from we're you are setting from , kids loved it pubs all over I use to Moore up away from the others as it was busy , moored near eating places then moved to quieter spots loads if ya look round relaxing you make it as hectic as you want , just remember half way through to turn back lol

Thanks I spoke to my wife and we're going to give Yarmouth a miss, it sounds to risky judging the tides etc.

Thanks.

I'm going to have another look at the map tonight

A good choice, Yarmouth really is a place to miss! Plenty of much nicer places to go!

If you get time, come and see us at the Bure Valley Railway, steam trains from Wroxham to Aylsham and return, 15" gauge, ideal for little people! I'm a driver up there.