Choke choice for pheasant

HDAV

I don't shoot game very often but have been invited to shoot Saturday on an informal driven day.

I usually only shoot clays so have bought a couple of boxes of hull high pheasant 30g no5 and box of gamebore super steel 32 no4 as there may be some duck.

Chokes wise I seem to be missing a couple, so I have a choice of Skeet, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4

Thinking sleet and 3/8? Or should I go 3/8 and 1/2? I'm going to stick with firing the bottom first on my OU so tighter choke bottom barrel?

Go 1/2 & 3/4 with #5. If you focus on the bird and don't get excited it won't matter what choke you use unless the birds are super high. Have confidence in the gun and your ability. Once you start chopping and changing chokes you won't know what is going on. Those chokes will do what you want to do. Most birds on our shoots are well within range of the standard 12 bore. It doesn't matter how many pheasants you shoot. It matters that you have an enjoyable day and be there safely taking part. Be happy that you are there even if you are cold and wet and have only had a few shoots at birds that aren't exactly the text book high driven bird. Have a great day and lead the head and not the body. As above if there is a duck flight I would change the 3/4 out for the 3/8 because of the steel.

Edited by fortune

Ok thanks chaps I wasn't planning on changing chokes on the day was going to fit 2 and leave the rest at home 3/8 and 1/2 is what I use mostly on the clays don't have a 1/4 OF as 1/4 and 1/2 would have been my choice

I don't know what the birds will be like so I'll go 3/8 first then 1/2 and stick a 3/4 in pocket if I wing a bird I'll choke up?

Sound reasonable?

if I wing a bird I'll choke up?

Sound reasonable?

If you wing birds it is because you haven't centered the pattern on the target not because you need a different choke. This is how people get confused and loose confidence by worrying about cartridges,shot sizes and chokes and keep Chop changing around.

If both shots are well in front a tighter first choke is advantageous (shots fired by max gun angle 45 degrees) probably less than 10% of shooting driven are shot here.

If shots are overhead (45 degrees to 100 degrees) chokes are similar and this is most cases, 70%.

If shot is 90 degrees to 150 degrees, tighter choke on second barrel to deal with going away birds. 20% of shots but often more on a less formal day.

As 3/8 and 1/2 are quite similar, be as well sticking to conventional.

If both shots are well in front a tighter first choke is advantageous (shots fired by max gun angle 45 degrees) probably less than 10% of shooting driven are shot here.

If shots are overhead (45 degrees to 100 degrees) chokes are similar and this is most cases, 70%.

If shot is 90 degrees to 150 degrees, tighter choke on second barrel to deal with going away birds. 20% of shots but often more on a less formal day.

Ok thanks for the explanation

The man has style

The man is competent

The man found his peg

I am sorry, couldn't resist.

:D :D

Saw it eons ago in a piece - might have been translated from German - on how to give an after shoot dinner speech without offending anyone even if they'd had a dismal day (shot like a numpty). All three snippets were amplified, explaining what the first two had done, while the third went on something like, "......and having done so went on to enjoy himself immensely". No harm no foul.

Have you got a gun cartridges warm shooting clothing and ear defence if so you have everything you need everything else is an extra.

Gun check

Cartridges check (hope I have enough)

Warm and almost entire green clobber inc Tie!

Ear doofers (hopefully still in my coat pocket)

:thumbs:

Gun check

In that case mucker your all set to just go and enjoy yourself 👍

Gun check

Good to go

Although a few £ in change for the sweep and a bit of cash for tip maybe prudent 😊

Have a great day 👍👍👍

All the best

Of