Choke choice for pheasant

HDAV

I'd go 3/8 top barrel and skeet bottom barrrel as they will be good for the steel carts too 1/2 lead choke will be full choke for steel. Fire top barrel first with tight choke as the birds will be getting closer for your second shot. Also it's quicker to load the top barrel if you only take a single shot.

Enjoy your day.

It is incorrect for people to think that half choke is maximum for steel. I also don't understand when it is said that half choke in lead is like full for steel. In my experience, it simply isn't.

Off topic, but my understanding is that you shouldn't use steel through tighter than half - but I do agree that half (for lead) is not going to give a full pattern in steel. Personally, I won't use steel; the (rare occasions) I need lead free, I use bismuth.

I have been told by people for whose opinion I have great respect that steel, unless used at significantly reduced range, simply doesn't 'do the job cleanly'. I'm fortunately in a position where I can politely 'stand back and watch' on the rare occasions we 'do the flight pond'.

Off topic, but my understanding is that you shouldn't use steel through tighter than half - but I do agree that half (for lead) is not going to give a full pattern in steel. Personally, I won't use steel; the (rare occasions) I need lead free, I use bismuth.

I have been told by people for whose opinion I have great respect that steel, unless used at significantly reduced range, simply doesn't 'do the job cleanly'. I'm fortunately in a position where I can politely 'stand back and watch' on the rare occasions we 'do the flight pond'.

I agree, it is off topic. I would wager, however, that those folk whose opinion you respect, have probably not used a lot of steel shot cartridges.

HDAV - glad you had a good time.

I stuck with 1/2 & 3/8 and stuck with it for the day

Blue lightning 31g 5 and high pheasant 30g 5.5 I think.

First drive was incredible rattled off a box of carts for 8 birds gun to my left had 6!

Rest of the day had a few birds ended up on 96 pheasant I think a few duck, teal,woodcock for 460 odd shots I think so not bad for a "novice team"

The blue lighting were lovely to shoot much nicer than the steel I had for the duck and noticeably softer than the high pheasant. Next time I'm in the area I'll have a slab.... or 2!