Essex Licensing

TbirdX

BASC has been working closely with Essex Police to address the backlog of applications and delays. Following a meeting with the licensing team in November, Essex Police agreed to implement a new renewal process for shotgun and firearms certificate holders. Once Essex Police have undertaken the relevant background checks, and are satisfied that there are no relevant medical issues declared by the applicant, then a renewed certificate will be issued. This system will only be used in cases where the result of a risk assessment is positive. Otherwise a visit from a Firearms Enquiry Officer will be required. However this will only occur in a minority of cases.

The change in procedure, which took effect from 1st January 2017, means that the Firearms Licensing Department should no longer need to issue temporary permits as a matter of course. This will considerably reduce the bureaucracy and free up resources to tackle the backlog. This will improve efficiency and the service Essex Police provides to those who shoot.

BASC will continues to assist Essex Police in implementing best practice. A further meeting is scheduled to take place next week.

Christopher

I had my visit two weeks ago - Unusually for Essex, it was a very nice lady what came round and she was very nice.

BASC has been working closely with Essex Police to address the backlog of applications and delays. Following a meeting with the licensing team in November, Essex Police agreed to implement a new renewal process for shotgun and firearms certificate holders. Once Essex Police have undertaken the relevant background checks, and are satisfied that there are no relevant medical issues declared by the applicant, then a renewed certificate will be issued. This system will only be used in cases where the result of a risk assessment is positive. Otherwise a visit from a Firearms Enquiry Officer will be required. However this will only occur in a minority of cases.

The change in procedure, which took effect from 1st January 2017, means that the Firearms Licensing Department should no longer need to issue temporary permits as a matter of course. This will considerably reduce the bureaucracy and free up resources to tackle the backlog. This will improve efficiency and the service Essex Police provides to those who shoot.

BASC will continues to assist Essex Police in implementing best practice. A further meeting is scheduled to take place next week.

Christopher

Well you might want to go back to them as, clearly, they are still issuing temps in 2017. I know this because I have one.

Has anyone notified Essex that they have bought/sold a gun recently? I sent the form off the other day to the email address on the website, but I seem to remember that previously they have sent an automated acknowledgement back. I haven't received anything this time...

Seems they stopped the auto replies about a year ago.

I keep a hard copy my email I sent plus keep the item in my "Sent" box.