Incorrectly used snares

Royboy

Got a invite for a walk around yesterday on some new land, walking past the back of a house that has chickens and geese, about 20yards past the house we came across a snare attached to a barb wire fence with a dead fox in it. This poor fox has obivosly been struggling and somehow jumped over the fence and hung its self. It had been there for a while. Now this really makes my blood boil and puts me off country sports in a way. I know foxes are a menace and need controlling but do it humanly ! A snare needs to be checked twice a day in my opion, I don't like the things but understand sometimes it's the best way to control them but not like this.

Now I know the bloke that lives in the house and he's a bit of a 5 minute countryman and has no respect for his quarry at all but if I was to comfront him he'd deny all knowledge.

It's things like this that give us a bad name.

I can't say on here how I Really feel !

Educating in not being so lazy is what he needs an a good shake! I snare my self for foxes around lambing time and it's not a thing to leave unchecked. twice Daly at least but I be in the fields anyway but they need at least that. It's not a matter of setting them an that's dandy I'll check it sometime...

People who do this I just think it's down to being bone idle lazy!! Not one ounce of respect for someone like that

There is a BASC code of practice on the use of snares which, with relevance to the law, states that snares for foxes are to hold (for subsequent action) and not kill. You could print it off and post it to him.

Perhaps he just needs educating?

And probaly not get invited back!

He's not the land owner, he rents a house that backs onto this land, where the snare is he shouldn't be on

There is a BASC code of practice on the use of snares which, with relevance to the law, states that snares for foxes are to hold (for subsequent action) and not kill. You could print it off and post it to him.

Good idea 👍

Put him in a snare ?

And probaly not get invited back!

He's not the land owner, he rents a house that backs onto this land, where the snare is he shouldn't be on

Good idea

But if he is a friend of the landowner you may well cause a problem and not get invited back.

You could always get in touch with you wildlife lesson officer.Farm next to ours was putting out fox cages right up against our perimeter fence.Trapped in there one day was a buzzard we took loads of pics and video footage to prove it wasn't ours.I went to see the farmer to ask him to be a bit more cautious and to do regular checks.All i got was a load of abuse,OK ill inform the wildlife lesson officer I told him.Trapr was gone the the next day.

But do u actually know the fox jumped the fence and hung itself??

Is it not also possible it has been dispathed legally and he's hung it on fence and meant to pick it up later or even for a bait to shoot other foxes coming in to it when it was fresh and forgot to remove it.

Granted it doesn't look good and is not a good advert for snaring, but airing it on a public forum only gives the anti's more ammo.when u probably don't really know wot happened for sure

I know a keeper they tried to get on various snaring charges, but when they PM'd the bodies they actually found all had been shot but he made the mistake of leaving them dead in the snare

In scotland now u have to do a course before ur allowed to set any type of snare and register with the polis and all snares have to be tagged with ur own personal ID number and ur not allowed to set snares near fences, trees/tangles or steep drops where a fox could fall/jump over or get tangled up and strangle itself

But do u actually know the fox jumped the fence and hung itself??

Is it not also possible it has been dispathed legally and he's hung it on fence and meant to pick it up later or even for a bait to shoot other foxes coming in to it when it was fresh and forgot to remove it.

Granted it doesn't look good and is not a good advert for snaring, but airing it on a public forum only gives the anti's more ammo.when u probably don't really know wot happened for sure

I know a keeper they tried to get on various snaring charges, but when they PM'd the bodies they actually found all had been shot but he made the mistake of leaving them dead in the snare

In scotland now u have to do a course before ur allowed to set any type of snare and register with the polis and all snares have to be tagged with ur own personal ID number and ur not allowed to set snares near fences, trees/tangles or steep drops where a fox could fall/jump over or get tangled up and strangle itself

Yeah I understand what your saying, maybe he did throw it over the fence after dispatching it but to use a snare that can clearly be seen from a main road is not good practice, a fox bouncing around in a snare soon gets drawn to the eye.

Hopefully I'm wrong

You could always get in touch with you wildlife lessonofficer.Farm next to ours was putting out fox cages right up against our perimeter fence.Trapped in there one day was a buzzard we took loads of pics and video footage to prove it wasn't ours.I went to see the farmer to ask him to be a bit more cautious and to do regular checks.All i got was a load of abuse,OK ill inform the wildlife lesson officer I told him.Trapwas gone the the next day.

Is this meant to say 'wildlife liaison officer' ?

(Not a criticism, just trying to make sense of what you wrote)

• 3 weeks later...

And doesn't that just cloud the matter....the old snares that locked the tighter they were pulled despatched the fox quickly especially if it wrapped itself around a tree/fence etc, hence the use of a killing stake.

Legiststion like the above in IMO just makes it worst for the fox. Snares are a very effective tool controlling them, they are there 24/7 when you are not, that said, not everyone has knowledge of how to set them.

That fox as Scotlad has said, could have jumped the fence itself, with todays snares it would have suffered, not with the old.

Wether your in favour of snaring or not, used in the right place they are an excellent tool for the job, but that's up to the individual.

• 3 weeks later...

Aye i agree with u Bazooka but i think that is the idea now so that the snare only holds wotever it catches so no target animals can be let away 'relatively' unharmed

I'm sure in many studies done on foxes they use to use snares to catch them to put a tracking collar on them.

They reckon that it will just sli/lie down beside the snare after a little struggle.

They are a very good tool and very effecive esp in circumstances where shooting really isn't an option