Chalkfarm: What is an acceptable amount of no birds at a clay shoot

collectors

Hi, we were at chalkfarm clay ground Norfolk the other day & between three of us we shot 375 clays. When we went to pay we told the lady that we had a genuine 18 no birds & was told that seemed excessive. I think 4.8% is not a lot of no birds on 350 birds. The lady did begrudgingly charge us us for the 375 only.

The next day everyone got the usual email with the scores & what i would class as a really rude comments on the amount of people claiming for no birds.

Well i am sorry if you think we are stealing from you at chalkfarm, then try keeping your traps in good order as we wasn't the only ones with a similar amount of no birds & being questioned like we are some sort of thieves.

PS: Sorry: should of said the auto trap ticketing system showed we shot 393 clays but only shot 375 cartridges.
"i'm assume 25p is a common price per clay"..

Edited by collectors

Hi, we were at chalkfarm clay ground Norfolk the other day & between three of us we shot 375 clays. When we went to pay we told the lady that we had a genuine 18 no birds & was told that seemed excessive. I think 4.8% is not a lot of no birds on 350 birds. The lady did begrudgingly charge us us for the 375 only.

The next day everyone got the usual email with the scores & what i would class as a really rude comments on the amount of people claiming for no birds.

Well i am sorry if you think we are stealing from you at chalkfarm, then try keeping your traps in good order as we wasn't the only ones with a similar amount of no birds & being questioned like we are some sort of thieves.

PS: Sorry: should of said the auto trap ticketing system showed we shot 393 clays but only shot 375 cartridges.

"i'm assume 25p is a common price per clay"..

This sort of penny pinching by the grounds doesn't save them anything because they get bad feedback as is the case with this thread. As said most grounds accept that there will be no birds and allow for it. When we went up to The Mid Wales the other year on the son in laws stag do, we did have a few fails but the layout and the people were so good and we came away absolutely glowing and there was no quible on the no birds. if it wasnt for the fact that the ground is about 350 miles away from us we would be up there all the time.

Went to a mid week shoot over Christmas, with clay counters. The plan was for 50 birds each. The clay counter reached 185 when we finished. The lady at the ground was walking around the stands and we told her that there were serious problems at two stands- with many "no birds".

When we got back she said they allowed 10% "no birds". I said that there had been more. She said "shall we call it 170?". I said that I was not speaking for the others, but I would pay for 50 clays. One of our party only shot 45 shells. She reluctantly agreed to charge for 150 - the proceedings witnessed by a few others.

We won't be going back - ever.

At my local club you simply do not pay for no birds or to see the birds if you wish. They have lads button for you but there is never any quibble they just send it again.

AC sporting targets is the same and always a good laugh.

Was at large ground with a counter system couple of weeks ago in the heavy frost had loads eyebrows where raised but accepted had coffee next group in had had as many.

If don't defrost the plates most traps struggle.

AC sporting targets is the same and always a good laugh.

Was at large ground with a counter system couple of weeks ago in the heavy frost had loads eyebrows where raised but accepted had coffee next group in had had as many.

If don't defrost the plates most traps struggle.

My local club is AC Sporting Targets

I see they have now brought in the 2 clay's per 100 at Chalk Farm clay ground, this has made my mind up. Myself & the rest of our group are looking to try some other grounds.

I can only assume the business they are running has to tighter margins to not be able to worry about a few of clays.
I am also assuming that the traps clays are not left in the traps over night in the winter months as there will be far more no birds when its cold.

So just some maths with 3 of us only shooting 125 clay's 18 times a year & clays charged at 25p per clay:
Each shoot now cost me 125 clays x 0.25p =£31.25
This times 3 of us = £93.75
Times the 18 visits a year = £1687.50
Minus the 6750 clay's we use ourselves at about 10p per clay = - £675.00 (This maybe less)

This leaves £1012.50 to help pay wages & running costs & 10% no birds & that's just from three of us not going every week.

Edited by collectors

Are you saying they cap no birds at this? They would have a job on making some lads pay for clays they have not shot.

This is what many are saying. This is a paragraph from the email they sent out.

I just want to thank all those that have commented on the mention of our new no bird policy from the last email. I have had quite a few emails as well as those that spoke to me yesterday, The general opinion was very much behind us on this decision. Everyone would like to see this sort of problem to stop so we can continue to keep our prices at the 25p rate, everyone benefits. Going forward no birds will be capped at 2 in 100. If you have a problem you need to call someone, they will remove your card, and put their own in the machine, so no birds should not build up on your card. Don't forget to check your card is on 0 on the first stand and keep an eye on your numbers on your way round. Remember, you can phone through with a problem or report to the DTL. We will also make sure someone patrols regularly. Will try to make sure they are wearing fluorescent jacket so you know who they are. I am sorry not to be able to answer all the emails individually, but there are to many. I did read all your comments and we thank you for your opinions.