Chalkfarm: What is an acceptable amount of no birds at a clay shoot

collectors

That'll be why then probably bumped into you there with out realising.

They are very good, they also resend the pair if the second one is borken, or will resend the clay if *you* mess up (safety anyone?) and would even send you a couple specific ones on occasion if you messed up one particularly badly. All in all, excellent ground.

Same at Mid Wales Shooting Center; given the weather over there it's quite often you have traps misbehaviour; sometime the battery will go as well as it can be so humid (battery shorts itself with moisture/dew) and you can just give them a call and they'll rocket down the range in the quad to get it sorted.

I have been reading this thread with considerable interest, and here in Dorset a cap of 2 birds in 100 just wouldn't wash at all.

Naturally there's a whole debate about what constitutes a "no-bird". When you press the button and nothing appears do you press it again, or sit and wait for the trap to be refilled? Do you count, for example a rabbit that misses the ski-jump rubber? Do you count the occasional bird that is obviously on a different path to others from the same trap?

I would reckon that 2 no-birds out of 100 would be astonishingly good around here!

Ive always paid for everything on the counter. The chap who ran the last place i shot which used counters i suspect noticed this as he often knocked >10% off the bill and also carts etc. I suspect i did better out of that than i would have done from counting no birds.

My current place you buy tokens, in theory you pay for 25 clays but the traps allow 27 throws per token.

Only way is vote with your feet. No one is forced to shoot at these greedy grounds, to me it's just plain theft same as taking clays you haven't paid for.

If a ground is snotty over no birds I wont go back unless new management takes over. If I pay for 100 I want 100. Be good if they had to come to you for something they needed and you took some back and said well 90% of it is close enough like you say yourself.

only ever came across one ground that insisted we dont have no birds,so never went back,most grounds that i use with electronic counters give 5 or 10% no birds.. on the other hand when i do a days practice at say grimsthorpe i always pay extra because i will take extra birds,they are happy and i feel i am being fair.

Edited by bostonmick

When I take a day out I don't need any balls shooting clays. I'm a member at Eriswell .

When we're done they say. 'Any no birds sir'? I say X and they do mathematics. Then I pay.

What is up with the world?

Not every shooter takes this approach, the lie about the no birds and steal clays. A few bad apples spoil it for the majority.If cash flow it tight then grounds will do everything they can to recoup lost revenue.

My local club you turn up, pay for your clays and go shoot. If you have a no bird you just press the button again. No one asks how many no birds and Ive yet to see any regular pee takers. If theres a problem with trap just pop back to the club house and they sort it. If fact its like this at both the grounds I regularly use.

Edited by Mr.C