small farm shoot

colin lad

been given the ok by the boss to look into starting our own small shoot have been on a few beats and had a few shoots so got the idea how the day goes but would like any info you could give on starting our own as in what we need to get started, pens,feeders,poults etc any info for a newbie would be great

thanks Colin

That is a wide ranging question but starting with a pen. You need a mixture of cover to protect from avian predators and open sunny areas where poults can dry out after rain. Make the corners rounded rather than square then any foxes which get in wont be able to corner pheasants so easily. Turn the bottom layer of netting out at least 2ft and peg it down to help prevent foxes burrowing under the wire. A low eletric fence is a worthwhile investment for the same cause. Water is as essential as food during pen time dont neglect this matter.

Blackpowder

To be honest you would be better meeting up with someone who has been involved in a shoot before. If you find yourself down this way I can take you for a walk around our little shoot.

You will need a pen for your poults with fresh water and some feeders. Fence 6' plus a 2' turnout pegged well down, one or two wire electric fence a foot or so from the fence. Some cover and a shelter or two as heavy rain for a day or two will kill them quickly and somewhere for them to roost in the pen as they get older. Pop holes in the fence so you can walk the birds back in. I believe the basc recommend a meter of fence for every bird. So a pen 200 meters around for 200 birds.

Hello

I have in the last couple of years I have started one up as a syndicate and if you are running it be warned it's hard work.

No matter how much you trust the people in the group make sure you have rules and people signow the rules sheet.

If you can try and vet the members and be ready for only a few people doing all the work but then they all turn up to shoot.

If you have any questions send then via pm and I'll help if I can.

it is only going to be for the family and staff at the farm with one or two close friends so i am sure everyone will muck in and help,

i have had a good offer of someone coming for a walk round to give us an idea,

just looking for things i may need to start

thanks for advice so far

colin

Basic things you will need:

Pen wire

Culluanry wire

Electric fence energiser

Batteries

Electric fence tester

Water troughs

Feeders

Rat poison

Fox trap

Have a look at local game farms and see what strain of birds they supply and see what suits your needs.

Are you getting 7 poults or chicks?

Just sit down and brainstorm one evening.

Then post any questions on here or ask someone you know....someone will always try to help.

By far the first thing to be decided is what you want to achieve from the shoot.

Then comes sorting the budget for your choosen route, no money no project. running a shoot can be a money pit if you don't have a idea where you are heading.

Get a friend that has done some before, no point releasing birds building pens if you don't have crops/woods to hold them,

Atb

Build a pen, try and find a location with good ground cover and some scrubby roosting cover. At least a quarter should be open ground which catches the sun. Make it as big as the budget will allow. Like wise the number of pheasants, as many as is practicable. If you are going twice daily to feed and check on 50 you might as well do the same for 300. Years same amount of effort is expended.

Have u read any keepering books? Think Ian Mcall wrote quite a good 1.

But there is no substitue for getting someone with experience to walk round ur farm and see wot the possibilities/limitations are.

Also ur aims shoot size and habitat plus budget will determine the size of pen or pens needed.

Mibee browsing throu the basc site or even GWCT sites for best practice guides, sometimes the GWCT organise open days or shoot walks that are worth going on and an expert will talk u throu bt practice etc

Ps Wot is culluanry wire?? Never ever heard of any wire called that before

Scotslad

May be just a local name but quill have it listed as straining wire too.

http://www.quillproductions.co.uk/Netting-Wire-and-Pen-Construction/?page=3

Aye i've called it straining wire too, it was the other name i'd never ever heard off. But every days a school day :good:

But to be honest the boys i've worked with were never 1's for calling things by there right names anyway, esp if it was long/fancy