Cometa 5 in .22 calibre

Rockhopper

Firstly a big hello to all members.

I've been a member for a while, and have been reading the many posts on this site researching various opinions on air rifles, with a view to a buying a new break barrel air rifle.

I was initially looking for a good second hand HW80 or similar, or a Cometa 300 when I was given an unwanted, brand new Cometa 5 complete with a 3-9x50 scope and mounts by a friend.

I have been target shooting with it and am getting excellent groupings at 25+ yards, and the power seems very reasonable by passing pellets straight through thick .75 ltr plastic drinking bottles filled with water and caps screwed on tight, and have also taken a few rabbits very cleanly on my newly aquired land, also at about 25 yards.

However, at a local gunshop where I was enquiring about part exchanging the Cometa 5 for something a little better, the guy told me flat that he was not interested as the Cometa 5 only manages around 4.5 to 5 Ft Lbs. I was under the impression that the Cometa 5 was in the region of 9 to 10 Ft Lbs which is somewhat more.

Based on my stated evidence above re: the rabbits and bottles, can anyone give me some advice on whether:

A. The guy in the shop was taking the p**s, or

B. If I have a higher than average powered Cometa 5?

Any advice and thoughts from knowledgable people as yourselves would be much welcomed, including if its worth increasing the power if it less than 9 or 10 Ft Lbs ?

I would look for a Cometa dealer in a magazine or see if they have a website. A quick call or email will sort it out from the horses mouth rather than a lot of hearsay or guesses.

Sorry cannot help myself as I do not have any personnal experience of tis brand. :good:

Let us know what you find out :good:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice Snakebite....which I took.

I found a gunsmith who really knew his stuff, and told me I would be lucky to get 8 lbs from the Cometa 5.

I was really peeved at this, but the guy suggested a trade-in and my interst picked up, especially when he also mentioned I could get a discount because I am a member of one of the clubs he supplies.

So, after some negotiating, I handed over the Cometa 5...and my plastic.....and walked out with a brand new Webley Exocet.

The difference is astonishing. The Webley is far better made, much more robust and the power it kicks out in comparison is massive. When zeroing my scope the Accupels went clean through the wood behind the target at about 30-35 yards.

I am one very happy boy with a new toy..... :D:whistling:

Listening to my advice? You'll soon learn! :D

Glad you got sorted, just watch out for those pellets. Try wrapping the wood in an old carpet, it will take the sting out of the pellets, be quieter and you will not get any coming back at you!

Also where are the pelltets going after they go through the wood? Somewhere safe I hope.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you do!

Now now boys.....

Well here's an update on the new Webley.

I took it down to the range last night to get zeroed in properley at 30 yards. The first 20 to 30 shots wandered around a bit, but boy, did the barrel need some pulling to break. I had to give it a good slap the first few times until it loosened up a bit.

After that the shots seemed fairly well grouped, but then started to wander off a bit. I thought it was me until I noticed that the scope had moved back about an inch in it's mounts and had twisted slightly....aaaaggh..I hadn't tightened it up enough so had to start over again.

I tried a few different pellets, but the Accupels were the most accurate by far (14.6g IIRC ??). However, I am going to try and get some Webley Mosquito Express at 12.4g or there abouts IIRC for a comparison.

I'll keep you updated as and when I can. :yes:

Well guys, here's the update on the Webley Exocet.

I went down to the range again last night......this time with the scope firmly tightened in it's mounts :rolleyes:

Sent off about 10 shots or so to re-zero the scope on the 25 meter small bore rifle range. When I was reasonably happy I then rattled off 20 shots (2 cards) of Accupells, and another with H&N Field and Target Trophy.

The difference in accuracy was quite remarkable, with the H&N's being more accurate by far, consistently hitting the bullseye whilst the Accupells had a fair few fliers, and in general seemed to be hitting to the upper right most of the time.

I then shot a third card alternating each shot between H&N and Accupell on each target which confirmed the H&N's were far better. I will try and get some pictures up of this last target card tomorrow when I'm back home just to show the difference.

I appreciate that I will need to put a couple of hundred more pellets through the Exocet's barrel before it settles down, but the H&N FTT do seem more consistent and accurate.