Angling Times

red_stag88

Mine too Red,

You cant beat a session on the lob, I am going to fish a back water of the Thames at Hinton Waldrist in Oxfordshire this week and expect to catch one or two big uns.

I caught a 4 lb fish there last year and I know of fish in the 5lb region being landed. A couple of seasons ago I caught a 4lb bream and lost a perch at least 1/2 the size again at the net.... Monster with big black eyes and a mouth like a bucket... :huh:

I love 'em on the fly. I have a fly which I bought specifically for the footballer, It is basically a green curly tail grub, on a size 8, with lead beads as eyes/weight, and a bit of dressing. Absolute killer!

I always take a pot of lobs to the fishery when I go. Everyone uses maggots so I tend to get a better stamp and number of fish with worms.

Have you ever livebaited for perch? I have heard the results are quite good.

Let me know how you get on!

sorry boys but there is nothin like catchin a salmon or seatrout on the fly their is no comparison with fly fishing for freshwater fish.

Best yet to date is 38lb salmon (Alaska)

Over here (ireland) 14.5lbs salmon

Seatrout 4.5lbs but a pal got one 81/2lbs

This year is just about to start

Good luck all

I'm with JonnyNI on this one.

Fish for sea trout at night - pound for pound they are the strongest fighting fish.

My personal best a 9lb 4oz beauty from the Towy caught on a surface lure.

That perch though - very impressive, although less so if its in a stocked stillwater.

Best fly for perch on canals is white marabou tailed, white/pearl fritz bodied lure with a lumi green bead head tied on a size 8 longshank hook.

You'll have the maggot drowners breaking their rods with disgust at your success!

sorry boys but there is nothin like catchin a salmon or seatrout on the fly their is no comparison with fly fishing for freshwater fish.

With respect jonnyni .... Boll..x

Gear your tackle to suit the fish... 2 lb brown on No. 4 & 3 lb bottom... hell of a scrap...

20lb pike on No. 6 10ft and 8lb leader... Heart stopping...

cant match the Alaskan but thats only a small fish for the area :huh::huh::)

Best sea trout though 9lb 4 0z...

If you want a mans scrap... 84lb porbeagle 20lb class 8ft boat 15lb mainline 2 hours 25minutes... Aberdovey 1988

Thats real fishing mate..... :angry::P:D

With respect jonnyni .... Boll..x

Gear your tackle to suit the fish... 2 lb brown on No. 4 & 3 lb bottom... hell of a scrap...

20lb pike on No. 6 10ft and 8lb leader... Heart stopping...

With respect to your good self Fisherman Mike

IMO and experience lb for lb there is a MAJOR difference between the fighting power of a Salmon/Seatrout against B.Trout/Pike :huh:

I should have made myself clear in the first post on fighting power lb for lb (few will argue)

Start to include Sailfish, Yellow Fin Tuna, Common Skate, Dorado etc and you could have a really long debate. :lol:

On the right tackle, in the right conditions, most fish give a good account of themselves and all are a pleasure to catch. :unsure:

There is also the world of difference between the fight of a river fish against a lake fish of the same species (IMO).

Because the river fish is on the move all the time, perhaps they are fitter.

Pike are a classic example of this.