Only 3 Iceberg Lettuces, Oh No!

TIGHTCHOKE

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could say why are we buying all this food from Spain and not growing it ourselves? No I don't want to get into the Brexit debate, just the agricultural aspects of food production

Once upon a time i used to be a lorry driver delivering produce to supermarkets etc. I used to regulary collect pallets of iceberg and round lettuce plus all manner of veg from a nearby small village where the various growers grew everything in massive glass houses. Fast forward 20 odd years and many of the green houses are gone or fallen into disrepute or turned into nurseries growing/selling plants and the produce is all imported from Spain etc.

You would have thought we would have learnt a lesson when we were reliant on food imports in WW2.

Once upon a time i used to be a lorry driver delivering produce to supermarkets etc. I used to regulary collect pallets of iceberg and round lettuce plus all manner of veg from a nearby small village where the various growers grew everything in massive glass houses. Fast forward 20 odd years and many of the green houses are gone or fallen into disrepute or turned into nurseries growing/selling plants and the produce is all imported from Spain etc.

You would have thought we would have learnt a lesson when we were reliant on food imports in WW2.

I know, and this is good for Britain because....... ????

Edited by Vince Green

I've heard of 'a house of Ill repute' But now greenhouses of disrepute !,, omg :)

Ps. I'm sure of course that was autocorrected from disrepair :good:

I've heard of 'a house of Ill repute' But now greenhouses of disrepute !,, omg :)

Ps. I'm sure of course that was autocorrected from disrepair :good:

They probably genuinely have fallen into disrepute because instead of growing lettuces and corgettes the greenhouse are now being used to grow cannabis. My friend who lives in St Austell calls Cornwall "Cannabis County"

Edited by Vince Green

Can one not use geothermal energy to warm a large glass house to grow all year round? As for lettuce, They are easy to grow yourself! My old man is 74 and still grows a load of his own veg in the garden. He had success with late lettuce grown in grow bags in the greenhouse!

Edited by Lord Geordie

Can one not use geothermal energy to warm a large glass house to grow all year round?

Sort of. A few miles away,there used to be a railway cutting,but in the 1980's they used it for landfill. The farm shop next to the now filled in cutting has large greenhouses on the land and pipes the methane from the decomposting waste into heaters so he can grow tomatoes etc all year round.

How many landfill sites are there in the UK where the methane is usually piped to atmosphere?

Just been in sainsburys, seems that lettuce fever has struck. Not a single lettuce in sight, shelves bare apart from half a dozen well handled prepacked mixtures.... ?

You just have to put a news item out and everything disappears off the shelf. About twenty years ago there was a scare about toilet paper which was totally unfounded but the panic buying was ridiculous.

What is really worrying is what would happen if there was a real emergency.