First feed

hitfreshairagain

In my experience if you set up first light when the birds come out of roost , hungry , you will spook the ones you do not shoot and they will find another food source and it will be all over by mid morning. You should then move off and find them feeding again as these birds will have fed , digested in sitty trees and then return to the field they fed on in the morning.

In my experience if you set up first light when the birds come out of roost , hungry , you will spook the ones you do not shoot and they will find another food source and it will be all over by mid morning. You should then move off and find them feeding again as these birds will have fed , digested in sitty trees and then return to the field they fed on in the morning.

+1

While I agree that shooting winter pigeons early can mean that the birds move onto another field by mid\late morning on the other hand it can mean you have a decent 3\4 hours of shooting. I find when arriving later after the pigeons have had a feed on rape the birds take flight at the first few shots and are not seen again for the remainder of the day.

No hard or fast rules about when to set-up but! The problem with setting-up before the birds arrive (first light) is 1, are they going to hit that field and 2, unless you know your ground really well, where? I've always found that at this time of year you will get about 3 hours shooting on a field they want before they move elsewhere, personally I never set-up much before 10am and that's after I have sat and watched a field and walked them off 2 or 3 times but even after doing that there is no guarantee they will return.

Hi all

Just wonderd what the theory is about letting the pigeons have there first feed before beginning to shoot ?

Thanks in advance lee

On Friday I went to my favourite field about 8.30, 3 gas guns going, birds really flighty so I went to another field but someone else was watching it. Back to 1st field, birds looking good but still flighty so I set up in a good place about 9.45. Very quiet for a while, then 10.30-11-30 was really great before cooling off, with only occasion groups going past but some of them decoyed well. Ended with 61 picked, about 2.30pm