Seats for the hide

Hur5ty

Just bought a Bergara (if I've spelled that correctly) via Amazon from Bushcraft. Fantastic bit of kit, legs come off and slide into the seat, each leg is independently height adjustable and when folded it all fits into a carry bag (included), also swivels. Tried it earlier this week and was very impressed, would highly recommend.

I also use a Bergara Stag seat, but not quite home made. They are excellent. I think the strong barrel idea is probably best all round. If your real handy you could make a set of adjustable legs fitted around the sides for rough ground. A set of shoulder straps and your away. I am at the moment toying with an electric motor driven form of transport. I have a motor and axle from a golf trolley and I have a wheel barrow frame. Just looking for a pair of those lug wheels used on garden rotavators. I do try to drive the Landie to where I need, but not always possible. I need to make the wheel barrow fold to fit in the back of the Landie as well.

Off subject slightly but still on seats and shooting. I have just purchased a pop up blind and have made a rifle/elbow rest which slides into the storage slots of the Bergara seat.

Awesome !! I can be in position and ready to shoot in about 2 mins. One muntie and a dozen tree rats on first outing with it.

Edited by Walker570

Of course it's all about cost, and I fully appreciate that.

If funds are available, it's well worth investing in a decent seat being you can be on it for many hours. Nothing worse than being either unstable or uncomfortable when sitting in a hide all day.

For me, investing in the Bergara seat which has a back rest is money very well spent.

As others have said, using a barrel is ok, but it will limit you to looking for an appropriately flat bit of ground to set up instead of the ideal shooting spot; The Bergara copes with this having independently adjustable legs. Add to that the back rest and swivel seat, and it is an excellent bit of kit.

Cos

Edited by Cosd

I use a high fold up stool from the Range Super Store.

£8.90 ish very light fold flat easy to carry and most importantly for me at my age and with dodgy knees, my bum is above my knees when sitting down and it makes it easy to quickly stand when required.

I place tennis balls on the legs to prevent sinking into soft ground.

Terry

Most seats with legs will at some time or other sink into soft ground with or without adjustable legs , barrels can be difficult on un-even ground.

For legged seats I use 100mm diameter discs of 12mm ply with a depression cut into the centre, the leg foot sat in the depression broadening the foot area of the leg.

For a barrel on uneven ground I use 2 to 4 broad wooden wedges with a little none slip matting on one side to level the barrel.

Some framed seats can use the same depending on style.

Having used a modified tripod for a few years which is now close to finished I was thinking of one of the Walkstools.

Not cheap but the non basic (Chineese) models are reported to be excellent. Legs wont sink with the steady fitted. Extra height to make it easier on the stand and sit.

The Begara looks the part but lots of cleaning, heavy, bulky and fiddly?

Bergara.... cleaning ?? Don't believe I have cleaned mine in three years. Knock a bit of soil of the leg bottoms about all.

heavy ??? Not that I have noticed. I fitted a shoulder strap to mine and can carry it with legs fitted ready to use.

bulky ???? Folded, with legs stowed and in its bag it measures about a foot across and four inches deep.

Fiddly ??? Yes I agree the press in stops on the legs were a problem initially with my thick fingers, but I simply made a small tool which does the job for me in seconds.

Press the buttons, turn the legs a quarter inch and slide to next stop. The only seat I have which is quicker is my three leg folder, but does not have the back rest

and does not swivel.

I am sure they are good seats. For me, I am out 3/4 times a week. I need stuff to be light, all in one bag and minimal fuss in use. All of the seats have draw backs and some of the basic stuff is just wrong.

Bergara.... cleaning ?? Don't believe I have cleaned mine in three years. Knock a bit of soil of the leg bottoms about all. Mud in the leg holes and inside the base when folded?

heavy ??? Not that I have noticed. I fitted a shoulder strap to mine and can carry it with legs fitted ready to use. 2.9kg compared to 0.85 kg. Legs fitted ready to use, so not in kit bag with deeks and hide.

bulky ???? Folded, with legs stowed and in its bag it measures about a foot across and four inches deep. Mud in the bag, leg holes then on the seat?

Fiddly ??? Yes I agree the press in stops on the legs were a problem initially with my thick fingers, but I simply made a small tool which does the job for me in seconds. Similar with the tripods too. I dont have thick fingers but struggle when its cold to press them in. Why are they not twice the size?

Press the buttons, turn the legs a quarter inch and slide to next stop. The only seat I have which is quicker is my three leg folder, but does not have the back rest

and does not swivel. The stool i have swivels, but the walkstool doesn't. I don't mind no back rest although I do find myself leaning against the hedge where I can. Whilst I mostly stand to shoot the lack of swivel is a drawback.

Edited by oowee

You must shoot in some much more muckier ground to me then oowee. I used mine for two seasons on a peg 20 days a season, on plough, growing corn, maize stubble and never had any trouble with muck causing a problem :no::) I then saw a couple of folding three legged seats out in Slovenia and came back and made a couple for myself and for sitting on a peg now I use these. Just that bit easier to carry. Always use the Bergara in a pigeon hide or in my pop up when out for deer, squirrels or other verminous creatures. The Bergara with my added rifle and elbow rest is the canines when in the pop up.

You must shoot in some much more muckier ground to me then oowee. I used mine for two seasons on a peg 20 days a season, on plough, growing corn, maize stubble and never had any trouble with muck causing a problem :no::) I then saw a couple of folding three legged seats out in Slovenia and came back and made a couple for myself and for sitting on a peg now I use these. Just that bit easier to carry. Always use the Bergara in a pigeon hide or in my pop up when out for deer, squirrels or other verminous creatures. The Bergara with my added rifle and elbow rest is the canines when in the pop up.

Yes pretty wet and very muddy down here. Lots of clay :unhappy: I like the idea of one with a rifle rest in a pop up for the red ones. :good:

I use a Hi Gear Iowa seat from Go Outdoors, now at 2 for £14, it's very strong and as it has bar's across the bottom of the legs it settles on them if the ground is soft.

Small enough to fit into the shooting bag along with the net etc and sits me at the right height without getting dead leg's after a few hour's, making it easy to stand when a shot's required.

• 4 weeks later...

I have used a cheapo plastic caravan door step for a hide seat a few years now, was a pound off the car boot.

strong light and low enough for a compact hide, yet still high enough to get to your feet with ease.

Similar to this one on the bay

Hi, I have tried to do as much multi purposing as possible, to save weight. I have a 4 wheel garden trolley with pull handle and have made an extra fold down side that is out of the way when full of my gear, then folds up to cover have the width but all of the length of the trolley, making a two man seat about 3 ft X 1 ft. Just needing to motorize it now. I can load both of my rucksacks (one full of pigeon deeks the other crows) both camo nets, poles, battery and flapper, cartridges and snacks, water and it even has a false bottom allowing me to store about 15 dead birds (I rarely get more, but live in hope) which leaves room on top for all the gear on the return journey. It works well but I love the perms where I can drive my truck to the hide sight, then I just sit on my cartridge/food carrying box or stand.

• 2 weeks later...

Need multi-function to save weight and space. I use an old plastic kitchen bin (which had a swing lid). Its light weight and fits in my kit bag and fill with kit, when emptied and turned upside down is a good tall seat so easy to shoot whilst sat or get up stand up to shoot. Needs level ground but I can normally get the ground level. If I can get to the hide site in the truck I carry a spade and clear the ground with that.

• 5 weeks later...

I agree that the Bergara seat is excellent and good when you can get your vehicle near the hide. Having a backrest makes it more comfortable on longer sessions.

However, for shorter sessions and when travelling light, I have just bought a simple fold up stool from Argos at £4.99. It seems to fit the bill and at 45cm high just about gets the bum above the knees. For the price I cannot believe how good, light and simple it is.

To stop the 4 legs sinking I just use some of those round plastic carpet protector thingies you use under furniture. Seem to work OK.

Might add some foam padding to the black plastic seat to aid comfort and raise it up a tad.

OB