In 100 years time (a theoretical post)

wandringstar

As to solar 20 years ago the efficiency was around 5%

Its now 20%

and still increasing, couple solar electricity generation with solar hor water in the same unit and the efficiency is around 28%

yes there are difficulties in cold dank dark winters...BUT even then they produce useful amounts of energy ...

the trick is to install independantly of any govt scamming scheme....and use what you produce to reduce YOUR individual dependence on the grid...

oh ...and build yourself a tesla battery for off peak storage ....

go on google it... :)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As to solar 20 years ago the efficiency was around 5%

Its now 20%

and still increasing, couple solar electricity generation with solar hor water in the same unit and the efficiency is around 28%

yes there are difficulties in cold dank dark winters...BUT even then they produce useful amounts of energy ...

the trick is to install independantly of any govt scamming scheme....and use what you produce to reduce YOUR individual dependence on the grid...

oh ...and build yourself a tesla battery for off peak storage ....

go on google it... :)

total nonsense, I was in a car park yesterday, and the council thought it a good idea to install a solar ticket machine, I went to get a ticket and the lady was working on it with the door open, she said don't worry its not working. When I came back to the car, she said it is the biggest load of rubbish ever, it constantly fails as its solar, and as such, the council lose loads in revenue as most people say they cant pay by their phones.

Solar contributes not even 1% of our electrical needs, and it has to be subsidised to achieve that.

We have a problem that this is a dark little northern hemisphere island in the middle of the north sea.

southern spain struggles as there is this thing called night-time.

The filtration systems for burning coal are so good that 'clean coal' isn't a bad description. Don't believe the baloney about the co2 impact of coal.

India and china aint stupid. Go on google it.

total nonsense, I was in a car park yesterday, and the council thought it a good idea to install a solar ticket machine, I went to get a ticket and the lady was working on it with the door open, she said don't worry its not working. When I came back to the car, she said it is the biggest load of rubbish ever, it constantly fails as its solar, and as such, the council lose loads in revenue as most people say they cant pay by their phones.

Solar contributes not even 1% of our electrical needs, and it has to be subsidised to achieve that.

We have a problem that this is a dark little northern hemisphere island in the middle of the north sea.

southern spain struggles as there is this thing called night-time.

The filtration systems for burning coal are so good that 'clean coal' isn't a bad description. Don't believe the baloney about the co2 impact of coal.

India and china aint stupid. Go on google it.

Im beginning to get an inkling you dont think much to solar ,wandringstar :lol:

And whilst I agree with you on a lot of things,you are just plain wrong on this one.

A ticket machine tech told you it was useless,so you take their word for it.

You say that they dont work well in Spain,yet nearly every house has a panel and tank.

Even this 'dank ,dark country' has a multitude of different solar applications,do none of them work ?

No one is saying solar is the answer to all the energy problems of the world,but its a start,and a move in the right direction.

And again,I am no green power junky by any stretch,but when you say that less than 1% (subsidised) of the UKs power is from solar,I checked,and youre wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_the_United_Kingdom

Im beginning to get an inkling you dont think much to solar ,wandringstar :lol:

And whilst I agree with you on a lot of things,you are just plain wrong on this one.

A ticket machine tech told you it was useless,so you take their word for it.

You say that they dont work well in Spain,yet nearly every house has a panel and tank.

Even this 'dank ,dark country' has a multitude of different solar applications,do none of them work ?

No one is saying solar is the answer to all the energy problems of the world,but its a start,and a move in the right direction.

And again,I am no green power junky by any stretch,but when you say that less than 1% (subsidised) of the UKs power is from solar,I checked,and youre wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_the_United_Kingdom

whose word would I take for it then, she works them all the time, I would say she knows more than you, have you ever heard of the term sanctamonious.

My brother has a villa in spain with a panel(s) says its ok for hot water, but couldn't boil a kettle if it tried. Again, more evidence to back it up.

Why is the solar industry in the u.k now in tatters(not just because its grey 300 days a year) because the government stopped the subsidies, because even they know secretly, that it is total ********.

You see, total evidence, against your silly idealistic nonsense.

actually, that's a bit unfair, solar is superb for those garden lights from the poundstore.

Why is the solar industry in the u.k now in tatters(not just because its grey 300 days a year) because the government stopped the subsidies, because even they know secretly, that it is total *********.

actually, that's a bit unfair, solar is superb for those garden lights from the poundstore.

Part of the reason for solar energy not catching on as much as it might have was because the companies that sprung up to sell it to house holders inflated the prices and lied about the benefits

My ex-wife worked for one for a few months and the bloke that ran it was a complete spiv.

Antibiotic resistance.

I'm not sure how serious people take this, I worked in front end medical research for years, in pharmacology and nursing and it's terrifying.

The bacteria are WELL ahead of us, newest discovered antibiotics, like teixobactin, are the first new discovery in 30 YEARS, it won't be long until its ineffective.

Even if doctors guard it closely for patients who really need it, it will be replicated, synthesised and sold like sweets in the less regulated countries.

The event when we have a true superbug, we're done, simple infections will kill, like skin infections, sinus infections, childhood infections let alone the deaths because cancer treatment will be a thing of the past, post surgical deaths will render routine surgery such high risk it would be contra-indicated in many cases.

I believe this to be the most immediate threat to humankind.

whose word would I take for it then, she works them all the time, I would say she knows more than you, have you ever heard of the term sanctamonious.

My brother has a villa in spain with a panel(s) says its ok for hot water, but couldn't boil a kettle if it tried. Again, more evidence to back it up.

Why is the solar industry in the u.k now in tatters(not just because its grey 300 days a year) because the government stopped the subsidies, because even they know secretly, that it is total bowlocks.

You dont take being told youre wrong very well either do you ? :lol:

So your brother in Spain has 1 panel ,and it wont boil his 2000 w electric kettle ? Who'd have thought it !!

Did you even bother to read my idealistic nonsense link ?

You know 2 people who have said solar is rubbish,so you have set yourself up as a crusading Captain Anti Solar !

You said 1 %, so were you wrong?

Or do you not do wrong Capt ? :ninja:

Antibiotic resistance.

I'm not sure how serious people take this, I worked in front end medical research for years, in pharmacology and nursing and it's terrifying.

The bacteria are WELL ahead of us, newest discovered antibiotics, like teixobactin, are the first new discovery in 30 YEARS, it won't be long until its ineffective.

Even if doctors guard it closely for patients who really need it, it will be replicated, synthesised and sold like sweets in the less regulated countries.

The event when we have a true superbug, we're done, simple infections will kill, like skin infections, sinus infections, childhood infections let alone the deaths because cancer treatment will be a thing of the past, post surgical deaths will render routine surgery such high risk it would be contra-indicated in many cases.

I believe this to be the most immediate threat to humankind.

Yes I can see why you think that, good post

Why is the solar industry in the u.k now in tatters(not just because its grey 300 days a year) because the government stopped the subsidies, because even they know secretly, that it is total bowlocks.

You really are a thick aunt. Solar water heaters ate designed to hear domestic water. Not boil it.

We still have a solar industry. It's just not as heavily subsidised.

The meek shall inherit the Earth ! But only after the wealthy have drained it of everything valuable, and its a complete #### hole.

And just like a thousand years ago , there will still be strange folk wanting to kill each other over who's god is best.

And sending radio, and digital, messages into outer space, may just NOT be the thing to do, based on a theory that everything predates

everything else.

As in the last line of Monty Pythons Galaxy song " and pray that theres intelligent life somewhere out in space, cus theres ****** all

down here on Earth".

God bless Eric Idle.

Oh, now that's a good one. A very uncomfortable view but bang on point.

War is no longer an option for seriously reducing population. A nuclear war could of course achieve it but such a war is likely to wipe out humanity, or at the very least knock up back to a relatively primitive level. A biological threat could wipe out very specific parts of humanity should someone be willing to create a virus that would only attack specific traits.

Natural disease could potentially cause death on a huge scale but as medical science advances outbreaks of such a disease become less likely, although certainly not impossible.

]The availability of food and water being cut off to a large section of the population seems the most logical reason for large numbers of people dying. Not a particularly sinister reason, just the logic of supply and demand.

Expansion into our solar system and beyond would seem the only logical way to reduce the population of earth and potentially provide extra resources, or at the least reduce the resources needed on earth.

But then there would be even more ads imploring you to sign up to donate just £3 a month to water aid, food aid, medical aid etc etc etc Edited by TaxiDriver