Pigeon IR Vision

Jaf4fa

All the pigeons went quiet the other day and those that came over were not interested in the pattern. My shooting companion mentioned that pigeons have partial IR vision and the pigeons on the magnets were several hours old and would not get the interest of passing birds as they were cold. We decided to change them and managed to pull in about another 30 birds. Good luck or Good judgement, any ideas.

Haha I think you where lucky. And very well spotted by your mate.

So many people just never notice this phenomenon

I have a feeling this could quite possibly turn into the best topic of 2017 so far

Edited by stevo

Not Infra red, Pigeons can pick out Ultra Violet, totally different on the light spectrum, I regularly repaint the white patches on my decoys with UV paint, I have never heard of dead birds losing UV after death, must look into that one, it might explain why my magnet yesterday just seemed to spook incoming birds, very frustrating.

Cold birds, decoys, ground, air,

Hot motors, breath, freshly killed birds, batteries, barrels all completely irrelevant.

If anyone has one of those disco purple UV lights perhaps you could do a comparison test between a fresh dead bird and an old cold one. let us know if there is any decay of the UV over time, some of my magnet birds have been in the fridge for 3 or 4 weeks,

Smell test, Hmmm pretty old, yuk!! :lol::lol:

I do believe that UV plays a good part in the pigeons or decoys being seen by incoming birds. On several occasions I have been shooting with a pal in two separate hides, initially him using silo socks and me using flocked full bodied decoys and the birds invariably came to his set in preference to mine. However, once a few were shot and my decoys were replaced with dead birds, things changed in my favour as he preferred just to keep to his silo socks.

I therefore do believe that nothing is better than real birds, whether fresh or old and that the older ones, i.e thawed out from frozen do not lose their pulling power.

OB

Always change the birds on a magnet for last shot and freshest birds. A bird which has been dead for a minute will always draw more birds than one which has been dead for 10 minutes.

I also find that birds sit better on the magnet before rigor mortis sets in.

Don't forget to cut the eye lids off!!

Always change the birds on a magnet for last shot and freshest birds. A bird which has been dead for a minute will always draw more birds than one which has been dead for 10 minutes.

I also find that birds sit better on the magnet before rigor mortis sets in.

Don't forget to cut the eye lids off!!

What!! :hmm:

Good advice from Cosd there, got to make them look realistic! :good:

Yes, I always find that putting a piece of corn in its beak helps pull more birds and you do not need to cut the eyelids off, just use two small sticks to prop them open.

Another tip for keeping your birds warm is keeping a couple down your underpants. :good:

Yes, I always find that putting a piece of corn in its beak helps pull more birds and you do not need to cut the eyelids off, just use two small sticks to prop them open.

Another tip for keeping your birds warm is keeping a couple down your underpants. :good:

But you have to be careful, if you use the wrong crop in its beak it can put them off!

• 1 month later...

I understood that it was UV and not IR that animals could see.

After many tries of all the best (expensive) gizzmo's for decoying pigeons with varying success, I now take just four items of equipment pigeon shooting. A gun, cartridges, a bag of bread and a full size replica of Nelson's column. I tell you, they keep coming all day. ;):lol: