car buying advise

mattyg1086

So guys I'm looking at new cars. My current car is a vectra saloon I bought this as I do a 90 mile round trip to work 4 days a week and the terrain I had before was a bit too expensive and had a few issues anyway the vectra is fine but I want to get back into a 4x4 as I love them but I need 40 mpg+ ideally and 5 seats room in the boot for two dogs and the usual gear. I do a lot of motorway miles and at the weekend it's just driving round the lanes and fishing and shooting and the odd private job ( I'm an electrician ) I want to spend no more than 4-4500 I'm looking at X trails and freelanders at the moment but am looking for ideas

Cheers

Myself I can recommend the xtrail have had one for many years and not had any real problems apart from the usual wear and tear items

The ground clearance is not the highest but with a decent set of tyres goes everywhere I have needed to and returns about 40 to the gallon.

If cash is that tight that a few mpg matters then dont get a 4x4, stick with the vectra.

Only fairly new 4x4's will compare with it on the road and give you the mpg. Older stuff will be more agricultural and unless you want to drive at 50mph wont give you the mpg. Or buy the x trail from Jasonk its clearly one of the better ones on fuel.

It's not that cash is tight the way I look at it there is no point in buying an expensive are that I put 25-30K on a year because I lose so much money with the mileage I do. So I try not to spend a lot of money just to throw it up and down the motorway just looking to see if I can get a 4x4 that will cost similar to run

Much better off racking he miles on a hatch cheaper on fuel, tyres, servicing etc etc etc is a cheap 4x4 for shooting etc and a smaller hatch for commute an option? Vectra, mondeo etc are a lot of car for the money

If it's just you most of the time what about a fiesta or similar van for commuting and a nice older 4x4 you rack he miles on?

If cash is that tight that a few mpg matters then dont get a 4x4, stick with the vectra.

Only fairly new 4x4's will compare with it on the road and give you the mpg. Older stuff will be more agricultural and unless you want to drive at 50mph wont give you the mpg. Or buy the x trail from Jasonk its clearly one of the better ones on fuel.

Correct.

You will do well to get a 4 x 4 for that money which will get your aim of 40mpg.

:good:

You'd need to double the budget to get a 4x4 that will do all you ask and even then you would need to drive at 60 mile per hour.

Ever given any thought to a Hyundai Tucson. I had one for five years, did 130k mainly motorway driving so the DPF wasn't a problem and used it occasionally off-road although I also had a Shogun Pinin which was great off-road. You should be able to get one of the first shape Tucsons for your budget but make sure it's later than 55 plate as they changed to 6 gears after that and were more economical.I used to get 50mph and had nothing at all go wrong. I know that it's not as good off-road as an X-Trail but did have selectable 4 wheel drive and always performed pretty well on and off-road and had reasonable ground clearance.

Just a thought.

OB

Lots of choice in that price range, if you want a 4x4 , have one, life's too short.

Honda CRV - Freelander - Suzuki Jimmy - BMW X3 - X Trail - Hyundai - Kia.

40mpg maybe a little stretch for a couple of those (not the Suzuki ) but you'll see 35 - 40 in most on a motorway run.

We have a BMW X3 2.0d , gets 35-38 mixed use.

40 on a motorway journey.

Good luck

If it's big enough then a newer rav 4 might fit the bill. My other half has had hers 4 years been good as gold, goes like stink and does the required 40mpg. We may be changing for an outlander due to 7 seats and indications are on an 09 with fsh and 90k that part ex value is close to what you are looking to pay, so odds are you would find one in budget