A Couple of ideas for the hide

When I'm at the stables clearing the poo and other wonderful jobs I always look at any thing that are thrown away and consider its use for fishing or shooting. So please find the pictures below of the use of empty containers and lids.

HIDE TIDY,

This is just an empty treats box which I fitted a tube from an old piece of pipe, the lid still fits and the box will carry 100 cartridges in boxes with a handle.

BUTT CLEANER

This is just a simple idea and takes no room up at all but in a muddy hide it prevents the mud being transferred to your shoulder when you take the shot.

65CFDB9F-8AD0-4863-A1F8-2F18C87C484A_zps

B10FDB76-3974-414C-9BB0-5CA49F91DFAA_zps

40E46CBD-BC41-49D0-AAFF-91ABD7844EAB_zps

When I'm at the stables clearing the poo and other wonderful jobs I always look at any thing that are thrown away and consider its use for fishing or shooting. So please find the pictures below of the use of empty containers and lids.

HIDE TIDY,

This is just an empty treats box which I fitted a tube from an old piece of pipe, the lid still fits and the box will carry 100 cartridges in boxes with a handle.

BUTT CLEANER

This is just a simple idea and takes no room up at all but in a muddy hide it prevents the mud being transferred to your shoulder when you take the shot.

65CFDB9F-8AD0-4863-A1F8-2F18C87C484A_zps

B10FDB76-3974-414C-9BB0-5CA49F91DFAA_zps

40E46CBD-BC41-49D0-AAFF-91ABD7844EAB_zps

Thanks for that PC, good ideas that cost nothing. Perhaps we can have more in the same vein from others? I'll have a look through my garage,known as Stiggs dump, for inspiration. :hmm:

Dodson & Horrell? Very smart.

I never put my gun down when I am in the hide so I would never need the 'Butt cleaner'.

I am a little surprised that PC ever gets the chance to put his gun down with the amount of shooting

that he obviously gets.

Please.....not more bloody kit to carry across muddy fields. :no:

I thought that it was a cup holder. I can see what the purpose of the items is but I can't say that I have had the need because I sit in the hide so I tend to hold the gun across my legs so the butt doesn't get on the ground much at all and because I sit I'm not moving around in the hide to squelch up the mud in the area as much as if I were standing and moving about. I pickup the empties as I go along and because I sit they don't get underfoot as much as if I were standing. I would find the box more useful as a loose grab and go cartridge box rather than an empties bin and use the bucket to chuck the empties into. They are good ideas. I try to keep kit to a minimum because it generally is a bit of a hike to the spot where I want to set up and most of it is walking down a tramline.

Edited by fortune

I am a little surprised that PC ever gets the chance to put his gun down with the amount of shooting

that he obviously gets.

I have to pour and drink the two flasks of coffee, pick up the shot birds and also empty my bladder????

I thought that it was a cup holder. I can see what the purpose of the items is but I can't say that I have had the need because I sit in the hide so I tend to hold the gun across my legs so the butt doesn't get on the ground much at all and because I sit I'm not moving around in the hide to squelch up the mud in the area as much as if I were standing and moving about. I pickup the empties as I go along and because I sit they don't get underfoot as much as if I were standing. I would find the box more useful as a loose grab and go cartridge box rather than an empties bin and use the bucket to chuck the empties into. They are good ideas. I try to keep kit to a minimum because it generally is a bit of a hike to the spot where I want to set up and most of it is walking down a tramline.

I have always stood in the hide so it will get messy underfoot.

That Hide tidy is a Mint idea!

Sorry... Couldn't resist

I was wondering who would pick that up, well done

• 3 months later...

Pigeon Watch is awash with fantastic kit, and fans of fantastic kit but once you transported all this on your back across a muddy field or three you’ll soon decide "less is more".

If you have done your reconnaissance (a ratio of two days to one day shooting) and are actually on a field that they want to feed on or under a flight line enroute to their feeding ground, its surprising how little kit you need.

Conversely so, I think because many shooters do not have extensive permissionsand end up on crops or land where the pigeons are not! In which case technology is employed to bring the birds other than to where they want to be. In my experence no amount of kit will bring them in.

I still feel the way forward is to travel light and spend more time behind your binoculars in preference to your gun.

Pigeon Watch is awash with fantastic kit, and fans of fantastic kit but once you transported all this on your back across a muddy field or three you’ll soon decide "less is more".

If you have done your reconnaissance (a ratio of two days to one day shooting) and are actually on a field that they want to feed on or under a flight line enroute to their feeding ground, its surprising how little kit you need.

Conversely so, I think because many shooters do not have extensive permissionsand end up on crops or land where the pigeons are not! In which case technology is employed to bring the birds other than to where they want to be. In my experence no amount of kit will bring them in.

I still feel the way forward is to travel light and spend more time behind your binoculars in preference to your gun.

While I do agree with you in certain respects, I feel your view is very simplistic.

I don't think I have ever seen a report on here of your successful days. I for one, would like to see some.