Flintshire MEC reloaders

Hi, anyone around the Flintshire area reload using a MEC 600 jr? I am looking at starting to reload .410's and for as long as I have been looking they never appear for sale used. If Im going to have to pay out for a new one I would like to have a chat about them /look at one in the flesh as it were. I have looked at lots of youtube vids so i know the mechanics of the process.

Thanks in advance

Scott

I have a MEC Jnr and have started loading my own 410s. Just a bit tricky as larger shot tends to get hung up in the drop tube, 7s and smaller no too much of a problem.

Actually getting it set up right is paramount and may result in a few failures. Have now ALMOST got the hang of it and use Fiocchi cases. Loaded some non toxic ITX #5s and found I needed to load the shot separately, not a big problem when just needing a couple of hundred and they worked very well on ducks out to 40yrds. About to load some #7s(18-19grms) with cork wads for a shoot I am in which will not accept plastic. You just need to be a little bit more patient with 410s and not in a hurry. In the long run it can save you some money and produce something you just cannot buy over the counter.

It is essential to get the crimp finisher end of things set absolutely perfect. Very easy to finish with a bulge just above the brass and if not spot on it will not crimp fully. I am about to purchase a spinner to finish my crimps. Not cheap but feed back indicates money well spent.

Hope this helps.

What shotgun are you shooting ?

Edited by Walker570

thanks for the info walker570, i hope to use fibre wads to make subsonic rounds. the data i have is for a roll crimp finish but if i had a press would the issue be hull space or over pressure on a crimp finish?

they will mainly be used in a Bretton-Gaucher G12 phantom and a investarm O/U

Guest cookoff013

thanks for the info walker570, i hope to use fibre wads to make subsonic rounds. the data i have is for a roll crimp finish but if i had a press would the issue be hull space or over pressure on a crimp finish?

Phantom a god gun?

I found with the ITX and sure it would be the same with lead, that getting the shot load spot on makes for a good finish. Just a few too many and it will result in a distortion when you crimp. I no longer weigh my shot, I pour it in until it fills to a pre determined spot which I know will allow a perfect roll crimp without distortion. Now I am no expert at this. As said I am on a fast learning curve and have worked this out through trial and error. I have in the past loaded thousands of 12 gauge, but have found with the 410s you have to be spot on with everything to get a good looking cartridge. So to answer your question, it is both. Over pressure will occur if you have just a few too many shot in the space available.

thanks for the advice, it will save me a lot of mistakes.

Phantom a god gun?

I love it . Its light, well balanced and a good length that fits my cabinet unlike the hushpowers. Its also quiet enough to shoot from the kitchen door or in a field next to horses and they don't notice. I am planning on doing sound level and pattern comparisons between the two.

for the price i think its well made, I keep the bolt well oiled and once you get the action right it slides in and out OK (a bit like changing gears on old cars, once you get it right you cant underdstand why you had problems at the start).