Urgent advise

pegasus bridge

Hi all, need some urgent advise, wife has just called, she's run a fox over on way home, she's about a mile from the house on a country road, fox is on edge of road, back legs done for but still alive , she's called the police who said call the rspca, they're an hour away, what would be the legality of me humanely despatching it? I've got an open fac?

RSPCA joke they wouldn't turn up when I cam across a horse tangled in barbed wire.Vet wouldn't come out unless someone was going to foot the bill.Any how the (Wont let me type the slang word for a traveler)turned up own owned the thing & god knows what happened.
Could of rang the police but being Durham they would of beat it to death with a crow bar.
The daft thing is if I'd of dispatch it the Police,RSPCA would of turned up and I'd be eating porridge.

Regarding said fox, id of grabbed something heavy and just gone down and dispatched it (as long as no one about) then tucked it in the hedge(anybody coming across it would just think its road kill) if i didn't have anywhere else to take it.

Edited by Davyo

When my wife was learning to drive i showed her how to change a tyre i didnt want her to be one of the bimbos Oh no what do i do bridage but i never thought about dispatching things in the countryside the way she drives she would have killed skinned and gutted it if she had of hit it anyway

We have got several minor roads that criss / cross our estate and deer casualties seem to be a regular thing nowadays with a ever increasing population , when an accident is reported to the police the local bobby get in touch with the keeper who then go and dispatch the animal as humanly as possible , all sorted with no one else involved .

as said leave well alone shooting it at the road side ? armed police may get involved but your sure to loose your cert

I know a guy got out his car shot threw a fence onto his permission his cert was taken off him for shooting from the road

Was that to despatch a suffering wild animal?

Emergency slaughter is justs that.....

Not the same as despatched trapped vermin.

Many cars these days don't have a tyre iron or even a wheel brace!

Just be careful who's watching. A 'keeper local to me used to help Police with injured deer on the road but now won't as there's often a do-gooder screaming about taking them to a vet.

This is another reason to be cautious http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1515201/Two-years-and-50000-later-ordeal-of-policeman-who-put-dying-cat-out-of-its-misery-is-finally-over.html

Just be careful who's watching. A 'keeper local to me used to help Police with injured deer on the road but now won't as there's often a do-gooder screaming about taking them to a vet.

This is another reason to be cautious http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1515201/Two-years-and-50000-later-ordeal-of-policeman-who-put-dying-cat-out-of-its-misery-is-finally-over.html

How ridicules, you just can't do Right for doing wrong. Complete waste of time and money

I hit a deer once on my way to work. Called a vet who had to log the accident with the RSPCA before they could leave the building. Vet then came out and put the deer to sleep. From impact with the car to dead was well over an hour. Car had broken the deers back but not killed it.

Deer suffered because the vet couldn't get hold of the RSPCA straight away.

Wife hit a badger two nights ago. She hurt two thumps so assumed it was dead. Car still seams to be driving straight thankfully.

Two thumps was probably just the badger thumping on the underside of the car telling the wife to p off. They usually like to take a souvenir or two as well if you hit them with a normal car. I had a mate who hit one at a good bit faster than 70mph in his dads convertible BMW. Pooed his pants about damage underneath the car. Got it to the garage and on the ramps and he'd vapourised it. Very lucky boy!

In the good old days my divisional controller would have given me a call to go fetch my shotgun/rifle and go despatch the poor animal ASAP. Even the RSPCA would call the police and ask for help. Nipped back home and fetched my shotgun and Labrador one afternoon and at the request of the local RSPCA Inspector, I shot and dog retrieved a mallard with one of those plastic beer can holders trapped in beak and around neck. Lab had it to hand very quickly and Inspector had a nice duck l'orange for his tea ... no kidding. This was in Elmdon Park, Solihull at the rear of the Rover factory. How things have changed for the worst.

Edited by Walker570

I watched a deer running down the a14 at Cambridge with stumps for back legs and complete smashed hip bones out the lot and it was clearly in pain and stress and panic. Traffic backed up for a few miles and everyone out there cars just looking at the poor thing. I considered getting a hammer out the van and despatching but there were so many people it wasn't worth the risk. Went back to the van and did some admin work for a hour waiting for some rspca jobs worth to come out people put a thermal blanket on it and we're trying to hold it down thing was about dead by the time rspca and highways got there.. and had been suffering all that time. Think cars probably kill more badgers than the cull did and anti don't stop driving them do they.