Made an absolute mess of this one.

JDog

Yesterday I had a message from a farm manager asking me to attend to pigeons on a rape field. I was there and set up by 8 am this morning.

Three or four large flocks passed overhead by 8:30 never to return though I did see them after I had packed up on land where I do not have consent.

Determined to shoot a few I headed to a long wood along which a standing game cover was situated. Not expecting much I took a small bag of cartridges and a net and simply stood in the wood.

Birds came over the tall tree tops and I had two hours of great shooting until the wind dropped when they became impossible. On counting my empties I had 68 shots and picked 18 pigeons. I should have done much better.

Yesterday I had a message from a farm manager asking me to attend to pigeons on a rape field. I was there and set up by 8 am this morning.

Three or four large flocks passed overhead by 8:30 never to return though I did see them after I had packed up on land where I do not have consent.

Determined to shoot a few I headed to a long wood along which a standing game cover was situated. Not expecting much I took a small bag of cartridges and a net and simply stood in the wood.

Birds came over the tall tree tops and I had two hours of great shooting until the wind dropped when they became impossible. On counting my empties I had 68 shots and picked 18 pigeons. I should have done much better.

Well done JDog, nothing wrong with 4 to 1 at pigeon over the tree tops! I'd be very pleased with 68 shots at the moment, and I don't think there's much chance of me getting that many shots in the pigeon desert round my patch at the moment!

I wish I was there.At least you got in the right spot. I couldn't get under them today even though I moved 4 times.

I wish I was there.At least you got in the right spot. I couldn't get under them today even though I moved 4 times.

Had you been there and had 68 shots you would have shot 69.

I'm sure you enjoyed the sport. I hate the feeling, when you know you've missed birds that you should be connecting with.

That would be a feeling you have rarely experienced.

Not at all, JD. I was quite perplexed on Saturday. My ratio was extremely modest for the 8 pigeons, 1 jay and a crow that I shot at roost. The left pocket of my jacket was bulging with empties, that I was too scared to count.

I had heard that your shooting has gone off in recent weeks. I blame love on the marsh.

• 3 weeks later...

Well done JDog , for seeing an opportunity and reacting to it and gaining some exciting shooting. We all get out of this sport what we want. My love is to see a high pigeon pass over and close its wings and drop like a bullet to the decoys , you know that your presentation is one hundred percent. This represents itself in large bags and requests for us to shoot. I've seen examples of you high bird shooting, you have no need to beat yourself up over cartridge use, just enjoy your shooting.

Count the birds on the ground that's what cartridges are for. A day out and birds down that's what shooting is all about. Looks to me like you made the best of a bad day and had some fun too. :good:

Not like my fox shooting last night. Saw one no shot and ended with two rabbits and soaked through. :unhappy: