Remington 1100/11-87

cooperjb1308

Morning campers, looking at a new all-round semi as I have decided that my pump has decided to join the game preservation society as I can't seem to hit a thing with it, there are plenty of new semi autos out there but I seem to keep coming back to these two. Looking at a franchi affinity as well and it seems good but just wanted and few opinions from some seasoned pros, like it to handle 3" cartridges and preferably steel if at all possible. Got to come in at a reasonable price as dairy ain't paying as I'm sure you know.

Thanks in advance

Hi!

I own both guns although the Affinity I have only put about 200 cartridges through it.

It it a very pointable gun and seems well made with the 7 year warranty being a big plus for this. No issues at all but as I say I've not had it long. Looking forward to using it in the hide.

My Remington 1100 I have owned for 25 years and it has only failed me once. The only thing I don't like about it is it's fixed choke. Different choked barrels are available but I have stuck with the same until I decided on the Affinity. Fantastic gun if not a little heavy.

The Affinity being the more expensive gun but with a 7 yr warranty.

Wabbitbosher on here did have an excellent Remington 1187 for sale if you were interested?

Thanks for the replies, had my trusty hatstand for years now and looking for something that doesn't sound like it will rattle itself to pieces every time I shoot it.

I heard the light contour barrels aren't too great with the heavier shot and still don't know whether steel proof.

Should have stuck with my original semis my ugly duckling 3" Magnum A5 and the slightly more refined 24" barrelled beretta 302 but hey we live and we learn.

• 2 years later...
On 10/02/2017 at 19:23, Brodie said:

Avoid the 11-87 Premiers.

They had the heavy barrels and poor handling.

Are you sure about that? Reading online and the 11-87 is being claimed to be the heavy one with poor handling. 

Apparently the premier is the one with the better handling and contoured barrel. 

I have a Rem 1100 16 gauge and when I shot a lot of clays back in the 70s I had a 12 gauge. I find they handle very well and have sorted a lot of pigeons and crows for me.

The 12 gauge model had a Cutts compensator and that eventually led to me selling it as they became a NO NO on the clay field, but before I sold it I never struggled to hit clays because of the gun.  In fact on skeet it was excellent with the interchangeable ckokes which came with the Cutts.    I never felt they where over heavy or unbalanced unlike many many O/Us I have handled.

Edited by Walker570

1100s &1187s are well proportioned functionality and the ergonomics of the gun are about as close to perfect as it can be, its rare to find some one who the gun is a poor fit with Remington did their research and got it right.

Style was just a follow on from the recoil 1148 model which was good looking then and still is today proportions were the same so even before the 1100 was created Remington had the winning formulae.

The 1100s &1187s are soft shooting reliable in operation and last very well indeed, they have a few wear points and common failings in guns with massive rounds through them, the mag cut off latch pivot /cir clip/ grove is a common failing but the guns which suffer have lived two lifetimes by the time things can get warn to cause trouble, bolt rails do get sharp razor sharp latch springs become unstaked from the action frame this is a pain but eassily repaired and they will still work with the spring unstaked if you can juggle the trigger group pins back in.

Do not let any of the above put you off for one second i am just pointing out a few things can go wrong when they are well and truthfully used and abused.

I love 1100s &1187s the 1187s ussualy ren choke these chokes are some of the best performing factory chokes available i seldom bother to buy after market chokes for Rem chokes something i can not say for many other makes of gun and even the Remington pro bore tubes dont match the rem chokes for performance.

Good guns tried and tested they work great and a joy to own if your claybusting crow busting pigeon shooting or wildfowling the  1100 & 1187 range do the job. .

In what way are rem chokes best performing ? 

I’ve owned and sold a brand new 1100 Trap as well as two Beretta semi models, can’t say I was aware of any “difference” between their chokes (or any of the dozen or more OU’s I’ve owned) factory or otherwise.

Also can’t say I could meaningfully recommend a remmie over say a Teknys for “handling”, I certainly wouldn’t do so if long term reliability or general longevity was involved, personally know clay shooters whose remmie died of hard work. 

They’re nice solid enough guns but there’s also a fair bit of espeshol affections involved when talking about them. 

2 hours ago, Hamster said:

In what way are rem chokes best performing ? 

I’ve owned and sold a brand new 1100 Trap as well as two Beretta semi models, can’t say I was aware of any “difference” between their chokes (or any of the dozen or more OU’s I’ve owned) factory or otherwise.

Also can’t say I could meaningfully recommend a remmie over say a Teknys for “handling”, I certainly wouldn’t do so if long term reliability or general longevity was involved, personally know clay shooters whose remmie died of hard work. 

They’re nice solid enough guns but there’s also a fair bit of espeshol affections involved when talking about them. 

By best i mean that with other makes and models of shotgun i own have owned its quite often possible to improve the pattern percentage by purchasing an aftermarket choke tube that could have different internal profiling that its often possiuble to improve your patterns over what the factory choke tubes are capable of producing with given loads.

Now The REM chokes do seem to hold up very well in direct comparison with aftermarket tubes which in other comparisons would be a noticable improvement over stock chokes.

This is of course comparing like for like constriction / Designation of chokes not aftermarket tubes like Jebs or Terrors indian creek chokes like these have way more constriction than STD Rem chokes so are impossible to compare directly.

I believe based on what i have found that Rem chokes are about the best performing factory choke system made. and obviously that’s my opinion but i will back it up by stating i don’t look at after market IM LF choke tubes any more for any Remington’s with rem chokes, i only look after market for chokes when i need something to perform that bit special like steel at range or no tox heavier than lead your typical clay busting pigeons at typical ranges Rem chokes will do all you need and some compared to the opposition.

Just my opinion.

Handling and comparing to tekneys i had a stonecoat tekneys for a wile it was a good gun but i dont think it was any better handling than the remington 1100 field 28 inch i had for years. could have weighed a little less than the 1100 perhaps but everything taken into account from my perspective sorry i would opt for a remington, i have been around then too much and done too much with them over the years not to go with the old 1100. its personal preference some favour berettas over browning and miroku in OUs its just what suits you its good we have a choice each to their own.

Edited by lancer425

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

By best i mean that with other makes and models of shotgun i own have owned its quite often possible to improve the pattern percentage by purchasing an aftermarket choke tube that could have different internal profiling that its often possiuble to improve your patterns over what the factory choke tubes are capable of producing with given loads.

Now The REM chokes do seem to hold up very well in direct comparison with aftermarket tubes which in other comparisons would be a noticable improvement over stock chokes.

This is of course comparing like for like constriction / Designation of chokes not aftermarket tubes like Jebs or Terrors indian creek chokes like these have way more constriction than STD Rem chokes so are impossible to compare directly.

I believe based on what i have found that Rem chokes are about the best performing factory choke system made. and obviously that’s my opinion but i will back it up by stating i don’t look at after market IM LF choke tubes any more for any Remington’s with rem chokes, i only look after market for chokes when i need something to perform that bit special like steel at range or no tox heavier than lead your typical clay busting pigeons at typical ranges Rem chokes will do all you need and some compared to the opposition.

Just my opinion.

Handling and comparing to tekneys i had a stonecoat tekneys for a wile it was a good gun but i dont think it was any better handling than the remington 1100 field 28 inch i had for years. could have weighed a little less than the 1100 perhaps but everything taken into account from my perspective sorry i would opt for a remington, i have been around then too much and done too much with them over the years not to go with the old 1100. its personal preference some favour berettas over browning and miroku in OUs its just what suits you its good we have a choice each to their own.

Thanks for the reply, I would however question (politely) the wisdom of placing ones faith or definition of “betterness” of respective chokes’ performances on increase in percentages ! Not that I am in any way interested in the actual pellet count, thus the academically definable denomination...........but by the simple virtue of describing a tighter pattern as better you’re falling into the trap of assuming that that in itself is an advantage, besides, if you really do want more pellets in the pattern then why not simply screw in a tighter choke ? 

As mentioned before I personally haven’t noticed any betterness in any factory or aftermarket choke flush or extended, any variation in “performance” is easily explained by a combination of factors such as constriction and shells used and more importantly, easily altered via experimenting with different chokes.

Until the day someone allows me to pay to watch them tell different chokes apart on paper or (target break signature), I remain sceptical that one is better than the other. If you for example get a Rem choke 1/2 to throw Full % patterns then the only thing that means is that their half does not conform to the actual academic performance criteria. Incidentally if we were to believe that that is an achievable and normal occurrence with Rem chokes then it would stand to reason that their Full must by extension throw super super Full 85% patterns which I’d happily wager they won’t.

38 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Thanks for the reply, I would however question (politely) the wisdom of placing ones faith or definition of “betterness” of respective chokes’ performances on increase in percentages ! Not that I am in any way interested in the actual pellet count, thus the academically definable denomination...........but by the simple virtue of describing a tighter pattern as better you’re falling into the trap of assuming that that in itself is an advantage, besides, if you really do want more pellets in the pattern then why not simply screw in a tighter choke ? 

As mentioned before I personally haven’t noticed any betterness in any factory or aftermarket choke flush or extended, any variation in “performance” is easily explained by a combination of factors such as constriction and shells used and more importantly, easily altered via experimenting with different chokes.

Until the day someone allows me to pay to watch them tell different chokes apart on paper or (target break signature), I remain sceptical that one is better than the other. If you for example get a Rem choke 1/2 to throw Full % patterns then the only thing that means is that their half does not conform to the actual academic performance criteria. Incidentally if we were to believe that that is an achievable and normal occurrence with Rem chokes then it would stand to reason that their Full must by extension throw super super Full 85% patterns which I’d happily wager they won’t.

The choke debate is never simple because loads vary powders give pressures differently and sometimes change pattern density, even when you talk density some will want iner ten others more even some want less voids the size of their target others look for the count in the 30. A pattern is relative to what you are shooting at its kill area these vary. its endless the differences and so are the requirements. Add to this non tox / Steel or heavier than lead and the dynamics of a pattern and what you can do with it again bear little resemblance to what is generally accepted or seen from lead.

BETTER is a term a lose term i agree but its a way of emphasising ones belief without botherig to get too technical, as in this case that I believe REM chokes are Better overall performers than any other factory standard choke offerings by other manufacturers. You don’t have to agree with me nor i with you it is our own prerogative to do this. .

On 28/03/2019 at 10:31, Rewulf said:

+1 I would never sell mine, a joy to load and shoot, reliable and very newbie friendly.

I would never have described it as heavy though  ?

There are different weight barrels. I have a 1187 28" with the light contour barrel and it's a lovely handling gun. But I have tried the same gun with a 28" heavy barrel and it was awful very barrel heavy.

10 minutes ago, bornfree said:

There are different weight barrels. I have a 1187 28" with the light contour barrel and it's a lovely handling gun. But I have tried the same gun with a 28" heavy barrel and it was awful very barrel heavy.

How do you know which is which? 

I have one but no idea which barrel it has, it’s a Premier, I find it nice to shoot, shot very well with it on clays. 

4 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

How do you know which is which? 

I have one but no idea which barrel it has, it’s a Premier, I find it nice to shoot, shot very well with it on clays. 

I had a left hand premier back about 1993 it was light contour but it did not say anything on the barrel, but compared it to a special purpose 1187 and a 1100 multichoke and their barrels were heftier. i saw a few premiers around that time seemed to be the same as mine, but i saw a synthetic stocked 1187 around 98 that was typical Special purpose like in the barrel. Not sure when they started advertising light contour barrel but i dont remember reading anything about this at the time i bought my LH 1187 in the remington brochures.