Filthy tennant

Archie-fox

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both my sons had to have proper guarantors for their student flats and (as I was the guarantor) they wanted references from my bank and my accountant.

Thing with students as well, they're hoping at that time to be successful in their chosen careers and have their own mortgages etc, so don't want to get into bad credit / court against them.

Know some friends and family who's rented to DHSS, if they wreck the property, they just move onto the next one, if you take them to court, they simply can't pay up because they're already on benefits etc and you'll be lucky to get £1 a week. If they've got nothing to lose they've no incentive not to pay up etc.

Going back 30 years, my stepdad owned a house in London, he turned it into flats, really well done, he often got dss tenants, but back then, the dss would liaise with the landlord and pay the cheque directly to the landlord for housing benefit, the tenant had no say. Anyway, the do-gooders/civil liberities/stirrers, felt that this wasn't right, and that the money should be entrusted to the tenant, who would (in their dangerous dream world) naturally pay the landlord.

He gave up taking dss after this ruling, one of his tenants got his rent for 3 months sent to him and he promptly pocketed it, and moved out the next day.

Going back 30 years, my stepdad owned a house in London, he turned it into flats, really well done, he often got dss tenants, but back then, the dss would liaise with the landlord and pay the cheque directly to the landlord for housing benefit, the tenant had no say. Anyway, the do-gooders/civil liberities/stirrers, felt that this wasn't right, and that the money should be entrusted to the tenant, who would (in their dangerous dream world) naturally pay the landlord.

He gave up taking dss after this ruling, one of his tenants got his rent for 3 months sent to him and he promptly pocketed it, and moved out the next day.

Your old man was lucky!

Heard plenty of stories of DHSS tenants pocketing the cash and refusing to move out of the house. Takes around 6 months to get them out if your lucky! That's 6 months lost rent plus any void period plus any costs to get it in a rentable condition again!

I had a tennant in for 10 years, he started off their by himself but when he left he had a Mrs and 2 kids, the place was a hole, I did 11 trips to the dump with my 6x4 trailer, had the whole house re plastered, new kitchen, new bathroom, new floor coverings throughout and the cheeky so and so asked me for his £400 deposit back.

Needless to say I kept it.

I had a tennant in for 10 years, he started off their by himself but when he left he had a Mrs and 2 kids, the place was a hole, I did 11 trips to the dump with my 6x4 trailer, had the whole house re plastered, new kitchen, new bathroom, new floor coverings throughout and the cheeky so and so asked me for his £400 deposit back.

Needless to say I kept it.

Maybe I'm out of touch but I don't think ten years is a terrible life span for kitchen, bathroom, flooring

The rubbish and plastering annoying but huge saving on agency fees and void periods having the same tenant for ten years.

Your old man was lucky!

Heard plenty of stories of DHSS tenants pocketing the cash and refusing to move out of the house. Takes around 6 months to get them out if your lucky! That's 6 months lost rent plus any void period plus any costs to get it in a rentable condition again!

Tennant's cant get away with non payment any more as such! The councils now are NOT re-housing DHSS tenants if they "intentionally" make themselves homeless. If they stop paying rent, this is classed as "intentional".

Unfortunately the easiest and quickest way to evict is via a S21(at end of tenancy). Which you do not list a reason for issue. If you do, it can extend the process by many months and theres very little chance of getting any money back (50p a week for the next 50yrs!!!!) So most landlords just do the S21 and the tennants get away scot free!

Maybe I'm out of touch but I don't think ten years is a terrible life span for kitchen, bathroom, flooring

The rubbish and plastering annoying but huge saving on agency fees and void periods having the same tenant for ten years.

Is £400 fair for the damage and mess left though?

It's life isn't it, I guess some of the trips to the tip were the kitchen and bathroom and carpet. In the scale of things, over a ten year period....I wouldn't lose sleep over it

Yer fair point mate. I guess There's fair wear and tear and then some people who intentionally wreck the place.

It's life isn't it, I guess some of the trips to the tip were the kitchen and bathroom and carpet. In the scale of things, over a ten year period....I wouldn't lose sleep over itl

This part of life can be managed to maximized the return, part of this is getting the most out of your stuff, kitchens fixtures etc.

The op said"Filthy" that a long way from "untidy" all that grime will build up,take some shifting to get a new good tenant interested.Stains on surfaces seem to get harder to shift as they age,carpets seem to go past rejuvenation. Returns are getting squeezed by HMRC

To the op. you seem to want to empathise so lets give her a chance. dont wait 3 mths tell her you have seen its a tip, you are not happy, schedule a formal inspection to get it documented and lay down your expectations at this meeting,If she gets it spic and span you win and if not its reafirmed that she a scruff.

Lets face it your deposit will go nowhere even if you can get it back from dps et all.

This part of life can be managed to maximized the return, part of this is getting the most out of your stuff, kitchens fixtures etc.

I agree but in a rental property I don't think a ten year life span of a kitchen and bathroom is bad - and good for flooring. As I said, just my opinion/experience.

We are currently have a 15yr kitchen in one and others are past 10. WE might be classed as a bit rigid as landlords but its all about the money for us. Tenants are a means to an end.

Edit That sounds like our stuff is on last legs thats not the case we are ontop of repairs and maintainence which means we are in the house regular and we are fussy with tenants, guarantors are the norm.

Edited by Rupert

You are getting into opinions now, dangerous territory. Just take the money and don't look at the mess. Evict her and the next one could be worse.

I think it's fairly common to see a clause to keep the property in a good, clean and tenantable state so as not to cause damage or injury to the property.

Imagine if this flat was in a new block of services apartments, you wouldn't want smells, possible fire risks, risk of rodents ect in the building. Not that the landlord would necessarily inspect but it gives recourse if there is a problem such as those I mentioned above.

Edited by OJW

Amazed at how many think giving back a rental in a filthy state is o.k, and that people who think differently are unable to see the big picture.

Low standards create lower standards. its endemic nowadays, I used to have a regular Chinese buffet, until I saw the server leave the toilet cubicle after a biggy, and not wash their hands, and go straight back to serving, turned my guts, never been back in 7 years.

I don't think that it's acceptable to have to fork out money for a clean and repair of property once bad tenants have left. The tenants would have left a deposit returnable if the property is in a decent state. That's a reason why these deposits are taken. If the cost exceeds the deposit then claim for criminal damage.

I lived in my previous house for over 10 years, it was brand new when I bought it, however the kitchen, bathroom and floor coverings didn't need replacing when I moved out, and if cared for will go on for years.

Maybe that's because The property was mine and I took care of it, unfortunately some tenants don't treat property with respect.

Its because of these reasons that I did all the hedges at the property twice a year just to keep the garden tidy and stop them going wild, also helps that your around sometimes having a look.

Our rental always looked tidy but its surprising how tired they can look once there empty, Tenants aren't likely to do a thorough clean as you would in your own property, ok the misses would 😉

My sister used a deposit from a rental to get professional cleaners in after one tenant left and no references brought the place up great.

Your very lucky if you get good tenants just need to realise its about someone else paying for you house pension and have procedure in place with agent to visit regular and keep in top of things

Mice!

I lived in my previous house for over 10 years, it was brand new when I bought it, however the kitchen, bathroom and floor coverings didn't need replacing when I moved out, and if cared for will go on for years.

Maybe that's because The property was mine and I took care of it, unfortunately some tenants don't treat property with respect.

I agree entirely they vary, though your property was brand new when you moved in, there is no mention of age at start of tenancy in the previous example

I don't think that it's acceptable to have to fork out money for a clean and repair of property once bad tenants have left. The tenants would have left a deposit returnable if the property is in a decent state. That's a reason why these deposits are taken. If the cost exceeds the deposit then claim for criminal damage.

Good luck with that! so you are going to shell out thousands of pounds on legal costs to take an ex tenant to court over something they will simply deny, and if you should win they will offer you £5 a week to repay?

Then when they default on that what do you do? Back to court and more thousands? That's if you can find them, remember you don't have the resources the police have to trace people

If people went through the proper vetting process with tenants a lot of this would be avoided, but it costs money and they take a chance; this is the result.

Most would be tenants don't pass the first stage of vetting them, the credit check.

I firmly believe that the DSS stopped paying housing benefit/rent directly to landlords because they knew the recipients would fall flat on their faces, get a bad credit rating and eventually have to sort themselves out or end up homeless. The only problem is it the landlords who are at the sharp end.

Edited by Vince Green