Insuring dog after injury

BreweryGrunt

In July last year my then 2 year old Golden Retriever jumped over a ditch and landed badly which caused him to suffer an FCE and left his left hind leg completely paralysed. He was uninsured as I had stupidly not sorted suitable insurance so we paid for all of his treatment ourselves, including extensive hydrotherapy and ongoing physiotherapy. Thankfully he can now walk again, although with a limp and a kangaroo hop/run. He is happy but has not regained full use of the leg ie he cannot scratch an itch he may have on his left side so I need to scratch it for him! When he had X-rays at the time of the accident the vet also noted 'mild hip dysplasia' in his good hind leg, which would need to be declared to an insurer.

I would like to get him insured as best as I can as I would not be able to potentially cover the same expense again should he have another injury. I'd like to have lifetime cover but not sure it's really a viable option any more? Does anyone have advice for insurance companies/policies which may be suitable for my circumstances?

Thank you

I have a savings account for my dogs. I put a set amount in each month as you would with a monthly paid vet plan and let it build up.

You choose then what veterinary events to use it for and no excess or uncovered conditions.

On the rare occasion there wasn't enough in the account there is always Mastercard.

In the unlikely event you'll find someone to cover it, you will be sub-limited on that condition/limb, with an increased excess or deductible. I work in insurance and have 3 dogs - I figure if I budget around £100 a month that might be spent on pet cover, I'm well in the black on two of them and a little in the red on the other over the course of the last 6 years (and that includes rebuilding and pinning an elbow twice). I've had the opportunity professionally to look at placing pet insurance schemes in the past and the only person that makes any money out of them tends to be the broker - Veterinary science is progressing and what would have been a fifty quid final injection a few years ago can now be a thousand quid's worth of wonderful new treatment that'll get you an extra six months.