Passport application interview

Mr. Merkel

My 16 year old daughter has applied for her first ever passport, she received a letter today from HM Passport Office requiring her to attend one of their offices to be interviewed as part of her application.

I have not heard of this for an ordinary passport application am I behind with the times or is she being singled out, anyone else had experience of this.

Many thanks

Tim

Hope this helps, taken from Gov website

If you are applying for a passport for the first time and you are 16 years old or over, you will need to arrange an interview. You will not be interviewed if you are renewing or replacing an existing passport, if you had a passport as a child, or if you are under 16.

Edited by stewartward

I had to go for an interview when I applied for a passport a couple of years back, even though I had an expired old type one. They say it's to prevent fraud and other related things, the passport office know more about yourself than you do.

All sorts of questions are asked, so they know if the applicant is genuine, they even send a letter asking questions to your referee to tie every thing together.

They gear the rules now to the lowest common denominator. As an example, because of laws on foreign spousal visas that were brought in to try and prevent recent immigrants offering a right to British citizenship as dowry in arranged marriages, myself and a couple of thousand others are either a) separated from our children while we work in Britain, or b) are effectively exiled overseas with our British kids.

When I asked an MP - an old university friend- about it, he said that nothing could be done, and that the plight of our family (stuck in Saudi until I can find £63,000 cash as a bond), was the 'unfortunate collateral damage' of other people abusing the system.

I didn't leave Britain until my 30s, and I can trace an unbroken Scottish lineage back more than 300 years. To be honest it really hurts that my own government is preventing me raising my children in my own country.

But that's just how it is these days. The laws are determined by the bottom feeders and normal people get caught in the machinery.

They could also tattoo numbers on their arms.

No they could just put a little micro chip in our arms like they do dogs and cats :whistling:

Joking aside in lots of countries the people have to have identity documents I can see no real reason why we cannot have them most people have photo driving licence these days if they just gave everyone one and just add a little bit extra if you are a driver.

it would make identifying people much better in fact it could be used as a bank debit card everything in one place with a little hole in the corner to hang in around your neck when playing sports or swimming.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Thanks for the comments on this subject, I am all in favour of cutting fraud and misuse of the passport system and l out of touch with the current application procedure, l thought my daughter had been singled out I was wrong on that, we have been asked to jump through hoops to get this passport due to the fact that we got married in Barbados and a different surname is on my wife's passport to that on my daughters birth certificate and the simple answer was the name changed through marriage how unusual is that.

Also HM Passport Office (PO) consider a 16 year old as an adult, in law she is still a juvenile. She has been called to travel 60 odd miles to be interviewed over her application, my wife was told by the PO that the interview will be approx. 25 minutes and also to allow 10 minutes to get through security, this is for a 16 year old girl born in the UK of British parents born in the UK and British passport holders.

I really feel sorry for those families who will maybe apply for their first passports for a holiday or some other overseas visit and live a lot further away from the passport interview offices than will do, particularly if its say couples on their second marriage with children by different spouses, be warned it is no longer a simple matter of completing an application.

All the best

Tim

No they could just put a little micro chip in our arms like they do dogs and cats :whistling:

Joking aside in lots of countries the people have to have identity documents I can see no real reason why we cannot have them most people have photo driving licence these days if they just gave everyone one and just add a little bit extra if you are a driver.

it would make identifying people much better in fact it could be used as a bank debit card everything in one place with a little hole in the corner to hang in around your neck when playing sports or swimming.

And the benefits to you and I or the general public at large, would be what?

I had to have one.

Security bloke at the door wouldn't let me in the room.until I showed him my id.

He was Asian and smelly.

I was then called to a desk and asked a load of ridiculous questions by a female with a dot on her head. All this to find out if I was English.

Theres loads of other annoying stuff that went on too during the process.

And then id fraud becomes a one-stop shop.

The best reason there is for staying with multiple low-level identifiers is that it makes it far more difficult to impersonate someone. Not impossible, but more difficult.

As soon as you have a single, high-level identifier, your criminal just has to compromise one identifier, and the job is done: computer says yes.

And in the UK we are not required to prove our identity to the authorities unless we are actually arrested.

See Willcock v Muckle, 1952.

Also see "function creep".

And while you're at it, see "'nothing to hide, nothing to fear' fallacy".

And the benefits to you and I or the general public at large, would be what?

None whatsoever. Edited by CaptainBeaky

Back in the late 1980's friends I kept of dubious character would pay £500 to anyone who had no passport or intention of ever getting one so that they could use theirs for whatever reason, Interesting comment in the above post ref.Willcock vs muckle 1952 that should be noted by all those on here who thought the recent tazering of the police race relations officer for refusing to prove his identity on demand was justified for any reason whatsoever!

The Asian bloke sat at his VIP desk reading the Sun with his VIP Cap on the desk. I pressed the buzzer on the entrance, he looked up the me through the glass on the door, turned over another page (probably to cover the pin up) slowly put his VIP cap on got up, opened the door looking a bit like a child that's been told to behave, head down no eye contact, and then asked for my id. Told to sit on a row of seats in a generaly empty office and wait to be called to the interview kiosk. He then went back to his paper.

Sat and waited for about 15-20 minutes, (no body in the room apart from myself and staff) a blonde English girl spoke to someone on the phone who she had direct view of, the both did a bit of a giggle. The blonde girl then looked over with an immediate serious look on her face and said "desk 5 please is ready for you"

The questions I was asked I thought were unbelievable and rather difficult, like what school did my mother go to. ??? She left us when I was 8 lol.

Trying to understand what the red dotted women was trying to say in her best Oxford English accent was just silly.

It's rather frustrating to be asked by someone who obviously was not born in the country, to prove that your English.

I had to have one.

Security bloke at the door wouldn't let me in the room.until I showed him my id.

He was Asian and smelly.

I was then called to a desk and asked a load of ridiculous questions by a female with a dot on her head. All this to find out if I was English.

Theres loads of other annoying stuff that went on too during the process.

Why do you have to refer to people of another culture in thes words smell and red spot.The tread is about the passports application process.

Why do you have to refer to people of another culture in thes words smell and red spot.The tread is about the passports application process.

It's factual that's why. The security bloke could have been a white Brumy and smelly but that would be incorrect.

Edited by Dougy