Indian National Park rangers

FatFreddysCat

.303 is a beautiful calibre IMO. I had a Parker hale (sportised LE )

Lovely stalking rifle. Very very accurate out to 600 yards ( that was furthest I shot it but a few people I knew reckoned they would still pull V bulls at 800 plus yards )

In my experience the .303 will do everything a 308 will.

I was rather fond of my PH 👍

The Indians aren't renowned for looking after their weapons though. Being a frequent traveller to and from the place I have often seen police and army with poor quality guns including a few with bit of paper/chewing gum/mud stuck in the end of the barrels.

Mind you they have managed to shoot 50 alleged poachers with them.

I shot one of these a couple of months ago at Minsterley range, the chap who had it told me it had come out of the enfield factory at end of ww2 and was totally original, lovely gun. He showed us a video of him and fellow enthusiasts shooting at targets at 1000 yards with the open sites. Some distance that, gave me a fair old shove.

atb

7diaw

I shot one of these a couple of months ago at Minsterley range, the chap who had it told me it had come out of the enfield factory at end of ww2 and was totally original, lovely gun. He showed us a video of him and fellow enthusiasts shooting at targets at 1000 yards with the open sites. Some distance that, gave me a fair old shove.

atb

7diaw

Your not wrong. They can be a little punchy my PH .303 had about the same perceived recoil as a hot .270

That said it was NOTHING compared to the .303 LE Jungle Carbine ......ouch !!

The Pakistan army are still using a derivative of the German MG42, the MG1A3, for everyday defence. Should be quite a retro shootout we the two countries final go to war.

I've shot the "broomstick" on a 300 yard range a few times using the iron sights. It was awesome.

Edited by Pistol p

My first full bore rifle was a 1918 Enfield bought from a police armoury sale in southern Africa. I took my first kudu with it, on iron sights. It was superbly accurate, and always used military ball ammo,of various origin. Modern factory stuff was not available.

I remember a pro hunter told me that the .303 has possibly killed more game in Africa than any other calibre, but also wounded the most.

I would imagine the wounding issue is down to rubbish grades of surplus ammo.

I think this dubious honour may no longer be the case these days, with the arrival and proliferation of the AK and SKS type weapons and it's nasty, 7.62x39mm cartridge, commonly used by poachers all over Africa now.

I too shot the 303 in the Army Cadets and can remember the quick clips that had five rounds in them, one quick push and a full mag again. Even the blanks a had 100 meter kill range with just the wad. Some things just can't be improved. The American Springfield rifle was another very good accurate rifle that they done away with for a dumbed down less accurate rife as they said they don't need that much accuracy.

The .303 British is an awesome round . My very first buck that I shot many ,many years ago was shot with a sportarised SMLE . I shot many deer in my formative years as a stalker with this wonderful rifle .

At that time ,late fifties early sixties we used military ball ammo and open sights . My old mentor would kill all deer clean at up to 300 yards with this gorgeous gun . My old mentor was the best shot that I have ever seen and won many ,many competitions with this lovely old gun . It was about this time that optical sights were beginning to appear on stalking rifles and he said ,"don't worry boy they will never catch on "

Harnser

Wonderful calibre. I have a 1950 No 4 mk1.

Think this is the one I was lucky enough to get a couple of shots with at the PW Rifle Shoot two years ago.

Not sure of your Nome de Plume on here.

Carried one for Her Majesty for many years and first shot Mk2 under age in the army cadets when I was 13.

K10655 was the serial number of the beast. Funny how some things stick in your mind.

Fantastic weapon.

As I see it just as long as a lump of lead comes out of the end of the barrel fast enough to kill the bad guys who cares what it looks like I do not understand why our police gave up the good old S&W revolvers if you are not a good enough shot to kill the bad people with six shots then giving you 16 or more to my way of thinking you end up with more bystanders than bad people ending up being shot.

.303 is a beautiful calibre IMO. I had a Parker hale (sportised LE )

Lovely stalking rifle. Very very accurate out to 600 yards ( that was furthest I shot it but a few people I knew reckoned they would still pull V bulls at 800 plus yards )

In my experience the .303 will do everything a 308 will.

I was rather fond of my PH

Plus 1 on that. I also sold mine ..big mistake. Brilliant cartridge on fallow, sika, reds with the modern bullets now available. Sub moa performance and very accurate long range.

Did a lot of shooting with .303 No4 rifles in the cadets (aged 14-17) and never found recoil to be a problem. The only lads who got bruised were the ones who held the rifle too loosely. We never used the No5 Jungle Carbine, but they were certainly said to kick quite a lot, maybe because they were lighter?

Hardly anybody bothered much about hearing protection in the 1960s, and the boys who stuck bits of cotton wool in their lugs were often regarded as wimps. But we soon very learned that if you were a couple of feet further forward than chap next door, the noise could be painful.

As I see it just as long as a lump of lead comes out of the end of the barrel fast enough to kill the bad guys who cares what it looks like I do not understand why our police gave up the good old S&W revolvers if you are not a good enough shot to kill the bad people with six shots then giving you 16 or more to my way of thinking you end up with more bystanders than bad people ending up being shot.

Doesn't quite work like that. Revolver is more likely to jam with 'bits' getting into the mechanism.

Semi auto needs cocking just once. Revolver needs cocking each shot or a hard pull to operate the revolving chamber.

browning 9mm semi auto's increased the accuracy of average pistol shots within the army to good shots.

​(Much the same applied to the SLR which took over from the Lee Enfields - Bolt action to S/A).

I seem to remember a semi auto pistol jamming whilst the user was trying to protect Princess Anne. Shot Smith & Wesson Model 10s and later 357s for 14yrs and never had one jam on me. The Model 10 was a great little revolver, semi compact and not too heavy to carry in a shoulder holster.

My thoughts exactly I think her police protection guy had a Walther PPK if they jam it is a pain to get them working you have to drop the mag and pull back the slide perhaps a revolver may get dirt in it if it was being used by the army crawling on the ground but in a holster a pocket how will a revolver get dirt into it revolvers are simple to use and having to press the triger hard is not always a bad thing.