Youngs "303"

spot.ontheroad

I have found an old tin of original Youngs 303 but the remaining contents are too thick to flow out. Does anyone know what I could "thin" it down with to make it usable? I.e. What is the 'base' oil of Youngs 303 that I could add to it to make it flow again. Any advice gratefully accepted. Cheers

Edited by spot.ontheroad

Youngs 303 is an oil known as a miscible oil. it is the same type of water soluble oil that when mixed with water is used for cooling and lubrication in lathes, milling machines and cutting tools ect. it was used to make Aquoil which is 3:1 water /oil and used with a phosphor bronze brush to clean the inside of barrels. it can be used as a general lubricant neat and has been stated its a really nice smell. but it should only be mixed up with water in small amounts because it goes off and bacteria can grow in the stuff.

PS. I always forget stuff. Apart from water I dont know what would make it more fluid. if you heat it, you will only make the stuff go more stiff. This stuff is a bit like oil used in artists paint and I believe that there is some sort of water based linseed oil that they use but by the time that you mess about experimenting you might as well go and buy a new tin of the stuff. never thought about a situation like this. experiment with small quantities this is on the wrong side of most oil solvents because of the water emulsion base. it isn't mineral oil base like most oils but more like castrol R or even mazola sunflower or rape seed oil. these are only random ideas.

It does smell nice though.

Edited by fortune

The original 303 had, IIRC, cresylic acid in it - the same base as creosote - hence the smell. This gives the product it's water solubility and cleaning ability. They changed the formulation sometime in the the 80's, for safety reasons - it was never as good after, and the smell want nearly as nice :D

Edited by CaptainBeaky