Binoculars, for birdwatching

Davyo

I think any particular magnification is a matter of choice depending on habitat - coastal will be different to marshland will be different to woodland etc BUT all I would recommend is buy the best you can afford.

I have lost money buying Bresser, Steiner and Leupold and eventually sold them all before recently doing what I should have done in the first place and bought Swarovski - and the clarity is out of this world with low light performance, exceptional.

I chose 7 x 42 as a compromise between pocket sized 8 x 30 and the too heavy 10 x 50 / 56.

I don't need EL HD etc and the SLC's I picked up secondhand (as new) are outstanding - plus, you'll always get most of your money back?

Buy Swaro, Leica or Zeiss and you won't regret it - "the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten".

I've got 8x24 for the pocket when out walking or fishing, 8x32 in the car and 8x40 in the house.

The Olympus 8x24 focus down to about 7 feet which makes them ideal for watching insects or small animals without getting too close to disturb them. I also use them for fish spotting when angling. The 8x32 are old East German Zeiss that are rock solid and an ideal compromise for image quality and carrying round your neck whereas the 8x40 are brighter, but are a bit too big and heavy for that.

I think any particular magnification is a matter of choice depending on habitat - coastal will be different to marshland will be different to woodland etc BUT all I would recommend is buy the best you can afford.

I have lost money buying Bresser, Steiner and Leupold and eventually sold them all before recently doing what I should have done in the first place and bought Swarovski - and the clarity is out of this world with low light performance, exceptional.

I chose 7 x 42 as a compromise between pocket sized 8 x 30 and the too heavy 10 x 50 / 56.

I don't need EL HD etc and the SLC's I picked up secondhand (as new) are outstanding - plus, you'll always get most of your money back?

Buy Swaro, Leica or Zeiss and you won't regret it - "the quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten".

Never a truer word. Iv'e wasted hundreds too.

Don't discount the second hand market either. With Swaro, Zeiss and Leica, their build quality is exceptional, so you get longevity, even with a second hand pair. I picked up my Leica Trinovids second hand and they have been amazing. They're 8x32. Small enough to go into a pocket happily enough, but don't compromise on vision. They're also used in conjunction with my Zeiss spotting scope for birdwatching, so I'm never in a position to need extra magnification. Don't go beyond 12x mag but 10 might be worth a look if you're not using a scope too. For my mum's christmas present, we all chipped in and got her some Hawke Sapphires, and they are amazing. Below the Big Three, I'm not sure you'd get better quality for the money. Under a grand, I don't think there's anything better, so at £400, they're a bit of a bargain

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-QUALITY-10x42-WATER-FOG-PROOF-BINOCULARS-ROOF-PRISM-BRAND-NEW-RRP-196-/370782587872?hash=item56545d4be0:m:mO-LdLNz3o1l0RfSQXbzKMw

I bought a pair of the above 5 years ago. They have been used at sea, bounced about in the pick - up and dangled from the quad. The clarity for the price is amazing!

They also have a "limited lifetime warranty".

Don't go above x 10 mag unless you have strong arms as the wobbling of heavy binoculars is very difficult to control!

Minox seem to very popular with the ahem RSPB members

mmm but there's birdwatchers and birdwatchers! the levels of bird-interested people are pretty varied, but i'd guess most rspb members are somewhere down the bottom of the pile:

Scientist

Ornithologist

birder

twitcher

birdwatcher

bird watcher

robin stroker.

for anyone birdwatcher and up it's worth having a decent pair of bins. For bird watcher and below, it's not so essential and my guess is a LOT of RSPB members are in those. There's also the most loathed group: the stringer. these are they who will swear blind they've seen a golden eagle on Hampstead Heath when everyone knows it was really a buzzard...

• 1 month later...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00YWLJCT8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just took delivery of a pair of these after reading the reviews.

They're rather good. Very clear crisp image, feel well put together, not very heavy and not too big either. Easily the best £32 I have ever spent on optics. The actual make is "VisionKing".

They come with attached lens caps top & bottom, a strap and a zipped bag with shoulder strap. They're well armoured and feel robust, nothing rattles.

I didn't want to spend a lot on general purpose binoculars which will be out & about after pigeons and suchlike. These more than fit the bill.