First Wasp out of hibernation?

old man

Wasps ! do they have a purpose on this plant apart from to harass you and sting ! ?

I remember being stung on the foot by one as a kid walking bare foot on the grass....dam it hurt ! hate them !

They eat meat.

So they help clean up dead things, they are a necessary evil.

Found one in my garden gloves just prior to Xmas - stung the back of my hand which swelled up like a balloon and hurt like hell for several days.

On the question of hibernation I've noticed newts in my pond all through this (very mild here in Norfolk) winter. Is this normal as they used to hibernate in an old partially filled well near my house. Some of the tiny one would occasionally come under our badly fitting door (2-300 yrs old) as they made their way from pond to well. Started to clear pond of excess weed, replant a couple of lilies which had floated and each time I used net to remove dead stuff I caught newts.

I usually have a bit of a look around in the outbuildings around Easter time because I have found small nests the size of a lemon hanging from the rafters. When I was a kid wasp nests always seemed to be in the ground and then there seemed to be a spell where they were in hedges and roofs. I have become allergic to being stung by wasps and blow up like a balloon so I have to be careful to be aware, and remove the risk of nests nearby if at all possible. One year we had five nests up in the roof around the property with one of these hanging from a roof truss outside like a rugby ball. Years ago Some kids used to go hunting for wasp nests to distroy the nests for to gain access to the grubs for fishing. The fishermen would buy the grubs from the kids for pocket money. I remember us watching which way that the wasps flew and tracking them to the nest which was marked with a stick with a bit of white cloth attached to it. When it was dark father would go to the nest and using a teaspoon tied onto a bamboo cane would put a spoon or two of carbide powder down the hole. If these insects didn't randomly sting it would be a lot better for them because they do take down an awful amount of other pesty insects and do a lot of polination. We don't feel any animosity towards bees or ladybirds like wasps.