Fly fishing

Ferret664

After finally getting over of the depression since the end of the game season am going to dust off the fly gear and head out in pursuit of some rainbow trout . Who else enjoys a bit of fly fishing and what are your favourite places to fish and techniques? I normally fish hanningfield and chigborough . Mostly hanningfield as I love to drift on a boat flicking out a fly and my favourite technique is a floating line fishing nymphs, buzzers but found good success last season fishing teams of wet flies .

I'll be dusting off the fly rods ready for the opening in March. I've found a nice lake not too far away and one or two stretches of wild rivers. All the Frogglies will be concentrating on short stretches close to road bridges as that is where the Fisheries Department dump all the stockies throughout February to May. Those trout that evade the onslaught become wary and wild and can be found in the stretches where you can't fish from the back of a C15 ;)

Another fan of Hanningfield - Never had much luck with drifting as always seem to be on the cusp of bumping into things (You can't use a drogue can you?). Never been to Chigboro, but pop over to Thornwood Springs every now and then.

Joined a private lake syndicate in Kent last year and rejoining again this year - Can fish it any time, so it's quite nice if I only have a couple of hours in the evening - You don't need to fish all day to get your day ticket's worth!!

Might be worth a look and a bit closer than Kent.

https://essexflyfishers.co.uk/

Another fan of Hanningfield - Never had much luck with drifting as always seem to be on the cusp of bumping into things (You can't use a drogue can you?). Never been to Chigboro, but pop over to Thornwood Springs every now and then.

Joined a private lake syndicate in Kent last year and rejoining again this year - Can fish it any time, so it's quite nice if I only have a couple of hours in the evening - You don't need to fish all day to get your day ticket's worth!!

Haha I bet .i do a lot of sea fishing off the beach but not with a fly rod but a 16 foot beach caster . I Like to catch flounders but I love to catch bass

You can catch bass on flies. Pink Clousers are a good fly to start with cast around rocks and reefs or laterally in the trough behind the first breaker.

Fly fishing for bass is always something I've wanted to do but don't know if it could be done on the open shingle beaches I fish like Cley on sea , salthouse and weybourne in Norfolk or places like st oysth or bradwall on sea . As there aren't any rocks or reefs ?

If the shore isn't too steep get some waders or a neoprene Farmer John suit and wade out until you are in the trough behind the first breaker. Then cast out sideways down tide into the trough ad let the fly wash around in the current just giving it a few sharp tweaks every now and then. You might pick up a turbot too if they are around.

This thread has spurred me on to get the fly tackle ready for next month's opening. I've stretched and cleaned the lines and sorted and re-stocked the fly vest. All ready to go now :)

In the meantime I'll just have to make do with a bit of barbel fishing. Yesterday was non-stop cooking maize, hemp and wheat in the pressure cooker then bagging the grains up and transferring them into my bait freezer. I've got a mole trapping job on tomorrow morning and on the way back I'll stop off at a river and have a couple of hours.

Good luck with the barbel . Think I'm going to go to chigborough next weekend to get a bit of practice in before I head to hanningfield on the 11th of march cannot wait . Think I need to restock on buzzers , Fly box seems a bit low on them . Wish I could try for some wild browns would love to try that . Definitely going to take the fly rod on the beach in the summer to try for a bass . Could you suggest a basic setup for trying for bass on the fly ?

Many thanks

You can get away with a #6 or even a #5 rod if it is calm. But it is often windy on the coast so a #7 might be better if you are only having one outfit.

I use saltwater proof reels, and when I was on the kayak I'd use Okuma Airframes as they were dead cheap and stood the knocks. For line you are better with a weight forward floating line with an intermediate or ghost tip. The tip sinks slowly and acts as an anchor for the line to stop it drifting with the wind. Then from the loop at the end of the fly line tie a length of around 10 feet of fluro' or stiff mono leader - something like 5 ft of 15lb knotted to 3 ft of 10lb and the last two feet of 8lb line with a loop at the end. Then add a couple of feet of 5lb or 6lb line loop to loop and use that last bit to tie your flies to. The tapered leader allows the line to turn over better and prevents tangles.

For flies all you need are some Clousers or similar streamer type pattern; pink, green blue and white will do you. Pink is good when they are feeding on shrimps, white for sandeels, blue and green for when they are fry or mackerel feeding. And a couple of poppers for those summer evenings when the bass are chasing fry on the surface.If you fish off the beach you need to wade behind the breakers and fish the troughs behind them. For rock fishing the bass can be very depth dependent like trout and the countdown method might be needed. You might also come across pollack and coalfish near to rocks as well as mackerel.

If you can find a tidal creek you can catch flounders by tripping a black or brown worm imitation such as a Woolly B-ugger along the bottom as the tide comes in.

Best of luck :)