Dacia Duster

Brixsmaid

Starting to think about a truck change, currently on a Mitsubishi (2010) L200 and can't really justify the size anymore so looking at something smaller and more practical (this could be my last one as old age has definitely arrived!), average off road use, not megga mud plugging, just average farm tracks with some mud and ruts etc. So looking for actual owners views on the Dacia Duster 4x4.

Cheers

Edited by Brixsmaid

My one (14 plate diesel 4x4) is just over 70,000 miles and doing fine.

Mixture of commuting and off road for work (does about 30 miles on tracks every week) and shooting/fishing at weekends, does ok on snow/mud, stubble/grass fields, but wouldn't go full mud plugger with it as the power isn't there to dig through it.

The oem tyre will last 20k, but my Yokahama have now done 50k and whilst not bare are needing replaced.

Does solid 47 to gallon if cruising at 60mph and 53 if cruising at 55mph. New one is meant to put 10mpg on to that.

Edited by Stonepark

My one (14 plate diesel 4x4) is just over 70,000 miles and doing fine.

Mixture of commuting and off road for work (does about 30 miles on tracks every week) and shooting/fishing at weekends, does ok on snow/mud, stubble/grass fields, but wouldn't go full mud plugger with it as the power isn't there to dig through it.

The oem tyre will last 20k, but my Yokahama have now done 50k and whilst not bare are needing replaced.

Does solid 47 to gallon if cruising at 60mph and 53 if cruising at 55mph. New one is meant to put 10mpg on to that.

So far, so good - thanks :)

I am not an owner however have worked on a few. Iirc they use Citroën running gear and the majority of parts. 1.5tdci engines are good little engines (as much as I despise Citroën) seem to be reliable little cars however I have a feeling when they start getting a few years old they will get a few electrical gremlins reeking havoc. Would I own one? Possibly so yes

Had mine 3 years use it for getting round the pheasant feeders and farm tracks, never been stuck yet, good ground clearance not too comfortable for a long drive, mpg as stated. Loads of boot space and can hide loads plenty boxes for cartridges inside the boot well lot of wasted space down there.

Only grip is they are manufactured in white, mine is metallic blue and scratches from whin & broom bushes show through as white which is a pain as it cheapens the car, I would go for a silver one as scratches don't show up as much. Still on original tyres at 40k and hope to get another 5k out of them before renewing fro next winter.

B

Had mine 3 years use it for getting round the pheasant feeders and farm tracks, never been stuck yet, good ground clearance not too comfortable for a long drive, mpg as stated. Loads of boot space and can hide loads plenty boxes for cartridges inside the boot well lot of wasted space down there.

Only grip is they are manufactured in white, mine is metallic blue and scratches from whin & broom bushes show through as white which is a pain as it cheapens the car, I would go for a silver one as scratches don't show up as much. Still on original tyres at 40k and hope to get another 5k out of them before renewing fro next winter.

B

Many thanks, guess I'll have to put myself off the metallic blue then, which I quite fancied :lol: Sounds about the same driving as I presently do!

Edited by Brixsmaid

I am not an owner however have worked on a few. Iirc they use Citroën running gear and the majority of parts. 1.5tdci engines are good little engines (as much as I despise Citroën) seem to be reliable little cars however I have a feeling when they start getting a few years old they will get a few electrical gremlins reeking havoc. Would I own one? Possibly so yes

I thought they were made mostly from the Renault "parts bin" but I may be wrong.

David.

They are based on Renault parts.

I also have been looking at a new (used) 4x4 and the Dacia Duster has some good write-ups, although they are very basic starting with the Ambiance, Ambiance Prime, Laureate and Prestige (top model) on the last two models you get a bit more for your money, the best engine in 4x4 model is the 1.5 diesel, the cars were being built in India but they had a lot of reports of rust on brand new vehicles, they moved production back to Europe in 2014/15 models after that date have had no problems with rust.

Dacia Duster is owned by Renault and is built in Romania using Renault engines the 4x4 system uses Nissan's all-wheel drive system and electrics from Bosch, in off road test the Dacia is up there with some of the best SUV off roaders.

If you can put up with the Dacia image (bit like the old Skoda badge) its a very good vehicle and a bargain for a 4x4 and one I will be going to have a look at and test drive.

Much what I found out, so I guess its time to have a long hard think!

Just to add to my post about the Dacia, I have been looking to replace my 4x4 that does get used 50/50 on/off road and could not justify spending big bucks on something that I know would take a few hedgerow scratches and the odd under body knock, plus 3 inches of mud under the wheel arches from the farm tracks, all the good off roaders also have high running cost, fuel, road tax and service parts, the Dacia looks like a real bargain and a capable off road vehicle.

I used to have a Jimny for shooting,basic other than aircon so very little to go wrong, just does what it says on the tin.If I was still shooting I'd definitely look at the Dacia if I was in the market for a bigger 4x4.Had a look inside one in the Renault/Dacia garage and its basic simplicity,just perfect for a shooting bus.

I despise French cars in general... except the engine and box's, I reckon there the strongest out there :lol: its the wiring and the layout of them that do it for me tbh, some things I reckon are thought about when the cars are done and they think '****, it needs a blahdy blah' :lol: some of them drive really nice though. That's just my opinion and most people around me share the same opinion :lol: